Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sometimes, when the consensus says one thing, it's because it is.

It has long been commented on that the film contains some homoerotic undertones.

That's all.

I thought so too the first time I watched it, and I just found out that dude was gay today.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Sometimes, when the consensus says one thing, it's because it is.

So I'm not allowed to see it another way?

Weren't you one of the people who scolded me for insisting on one interpretation of American Psycho some time back?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    So I'm not allowed to not see it another way?

Weren't you one of the people who scolded me for insisting on one interpretation of American Psycho some time back?
    Not me.

Of course you can see it another way, but to argue that its not there when so many other people clearly see it, or to say that you don't see it at all strikes me as being a little obtuse.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Not me.

Of course you can see it another way, but to argue that its not there when so many other people clearly see it, or to say that you don't see it at all strikes me as being a little obtuse.

I can see it when it's pointed out, but it's not something that, while watching the movie, I would go "hey! Jesse's gay!"

It's a bit of a stretch is all I'm saying.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I can see it when it's pointed out, but it's not something that, while watching the movie, I would go "hey! Jesse's gay!"
    I don't think that is what you're supposed to say. What the commentators are saying is that the film has homosexual undertones.

It's a bit of a stretch is all I'm saying.
    I think it would be a stretch if there were only a few people commenting on it. However, even when I first saw it I was aware of its homoerotic nature, and I know that this has often been cited as the most prevalent way of examining the film. That is to say, I don't think the homosexual reading of this film is some rogue analysis that only a scant few see.

I have a strange disinterest in the 'Elm Street' sequels. I'm trying to remedy it.

Bram Stoker's Dracula - Drag Me To Hell would have been an achievement much the same way Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula is, if Raimi had made it, you know, better. As Raimi wished to throwback to certain old-school schlock, BSD also takes a classical-type story burdened with lots of codings and de-codes them using overt artificial style, Coppola throwbacking majorly to silent film aesthetic and storytelling beats.

The two films even have similar slam-bang openings and shock, tactile title cards (which never fail BTW).

BSD is an uneven film that gets increasingly tiresome once Helsing and the men start actively seeking out Dracula, leading to a very weak climactic act, but there's too many great moments here to completely dismiss, especially in the first half of the film. The number of gleefully bizarre moments only Coppola's capable is unbeatable, such as everything about Keanu's first visit to the castle, Keanu's blissed out deliberations on how to escape Dracula's wives, and the shot of Giant Bat-Dracula (awesome make-up there) moping out of sight when Mira catches him in the garden with Lucy (complete with an iris out).

I usually can appreciate even the most awkward acting jobs (see The Happening) but Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves are really pushing their luck.

There's definitely stuff here to look deeply at. I loved the characterization of Lucy, how she seems to be chipper and optimistic even as all her vitality is slowly being sucked from her. Perhaps it was Coppola's way to undermine our expectations that the vapid sex kitten is always easily susceptible to the draining of inner character. The morphing shadow work is spectacular, and Mira's love of the "evil" Dracula is interesting in light of the film's look at Victorian age mores, even though the ending leaves me with a bad taste of sappiness, over-simplicity, and how flat that previous fight scene was.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

Quote Quoting Bosco B Thug (view post)
    I have a strange disinterest in the 'Elm Street' sequels. I'm trying to remedy it.

Bram Stoker's Dracula - Drag Me To Hell would have been an achievement much the same way Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula is, if Raimi had made it, you know, better. As Raimi wished to throwback to certain old-school schlock, BSD also takes a classical-type story burdened with lots of codings and de-codes them using overt artificial style, Coppola throwbacking majorly to silent film aesthetic and storytelling beats.

The two films even have similar slam-bang openings and shock, tactile title cards (which never fail BTW).

BSD is an uneven film that gets increasingly tiresome once Helsing and the men start actively seeking out Dracula, leading to a very weak climactic act, but there's too many great moments here to completely dismiss, especially in the first half of the film. The number of gleefully bizarre moments only Coppola's capable is unbeatable, such as everything about Keanu's first visit to the castle, Keanu's blissed out deliberations on how to escape Dracula's wives, and the shot of Giant Bat-Dracula (awesome make-up there) moping out of sight when Mira catches him in the garden with Lucy (complete with an iris out).

I usually can appreciate even the most awkward acting jobs (see The Happening) but Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves are really pushing their luck.

There's definitely stuff here to look deeply at. I loved the characterization of Lucy, how she seems to be chipper and optimistic even as all her vitality is slowly being sucked from her. Perhaps it was Coppola's way to undermine our expectations that the vapid sex kitten is always easily susceptible to the draining of inner character. The morphing shadow work is spectacular, and Mira's love of the "evil" Dracula is interesting in light of the film's look at Victorian age mores, even though the ending leaves me with a bad taste of sappiness, over-simplicity, and how flat that previous fight scene was.

The ending aside, Coppola's Dracula really is one of the better adaptations of the source material, and is one of my favorite films of the early nineties - if only because of its visual expressiveness, but Tom Waits and Anthony Hopkins in their respective roles doesn't hurt, either. And, this is saying nothing of Gary Oldman, particularly during the first third of the film.

Winona - well, there's nothing I can say about here that hasn't already been said. But, Jonathan was always a very wooden, uptight character. Personally, I think Coppola knew what he was getting, and cast him accordingly - but I may be grasping at straws, here.
    thefilmistreturns.wordpress.com

Impossible. Meaningless.

Quote Quoting BuffaloWilder (view post)
    Winona - well, there's nothing I can say about here that hasn't already been said. But, Jonathan was always a very wooden, uptight character. Personally, I think Coppola knew what he was getting, and cast him accordingly - but I may be grasping at straws, here.
    I don't know, I might have some evidence for you there. He's totally wooden until Coppola wants him to show some extreme emotion, and then he pulls it off. I loved his reaction when he sees Dracula bring in a baby for his wives to feed on.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

Huh, Martyrs was a remarkable movie. It's seriously mean-spirited and gruesome like few films manage to be, but intelligent and it more or less justifies its excesses by finding a really unexpected and exciting motive behind them. In comparing this to stuff like Hostel or the Saw saga I think you could build an excellent case for this proving to be a lot better directed, since it probably features less explicit violence but portrayed in a lot more effective ways. Both actresses were pretty good and I thought the kitchen scene was one of the best shootings in recent cinema. I look forward to this director's next works.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Huh, Martyrs was a remarkable movie. It's seriously mean-spirited and gruesome like few films manage to be, but intelligent and it more or less justifies its excesses by finding a really unexpected and exciting motive behind them. In comparing this to stuff like Hostel or the Saw saga I think you could build an excellent case for this proving to be a lot better directed, since it probably features less explicit violence but portrayed in a lot more effective ways. Both actresses were pretty good and I thought the kitchen scene was one of the best shootings in recent cinema. I look forward to this director's next works.
    Yes! That's three supporters. Now we can all gang up on D&MU. The acting is absolutely fantastic.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Now we can all gang up on D&MU.
    You should torture me relentlessly until I finally witness the value of Martyrs.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    You should torture me relentlessly until I finally witness the value of Martyrs.
    I see what you did there.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I see what you did there.
    ritch: