Page 10 of 356 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    It's easily the most lurid pre-code picture I've seen. I mean my god, that POV strip-tease!
    No kidding, and that ability to be erotic adds to the picture tremendously. I was stunned to find a 1931 film show a very real threat of rape. And March's performance is incredible.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    The Sentinel

If you thought The Omen was overwrought, take note: The Sentinel is even worse (or better). Cristina Raines stars as Alison Parker, a beautiful model who's desperate for a reasonable New York rent. She finds the ideal room, with one small caveat: it's the gateway to Hell. Proof: in one scene, she watches helplessly as Beverly D'angelo masturbates to orgasm. Chris Sarandon plays Alison's boyfriend Michael, bringing a sturdy confidence that would later work as villainy (The Princess Bride) and heroism (Child's Play). Uncomfortable scenes with deformed people playing Hell's denizens are thankfully balanced by the bizarre star power. Balsam! Gardner! Walken! Goldblum! Together at last!

B-
    I keep on telling myself I need to see this movie. I'm expecting an experience as if I'm thick in the after-orgy guilt felt by all the stars in this movie following some ritzy Hollywood hills party. This movie would be the impregnated abstract-concept Hollywood's aborted fetus.

But like The Manitou, I keep on putting it off because I feel as if it's bizarre and inconsequential enough that it will eventually find me instead of vice versa.

Shocker - Wes Craven is the showman of the horror auteurs. He's modish and trendy and he shows it in his horror films. He's also a goofball, though, and a sucker for novelty, and that shows most explicitly in Shocker. Mitch Pileggi tries to be the next Freddy Krueger, and this film just made me further appreciate the more abstract approach to horror of Tobe Hooper, who tackled technology fears much more artfully in his Spontaneous Combustion.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

Just for posterity: the top-rated horror films of the decade:

1. Pan's Labyrinth - 95%
    2. Drag Me to Hell - 95%
    3. Brand Upon the Brain! - 93%
    4. [Rec] - 93%
    5. The Devil's Backbone - 92%

Just for posterity: the top-rated horror films of the decade:

1. Pan's Labyrinth - 95%
    2. Drag Me to Hell - 95%
    3. Brand Upon the Brain! - 93%
    4. [Rec] - 93%
    5. The Devil's Backbone - 92%
    Let the Right One In has 98%.

And if you go by metacritic

1. Pan's Labyrinth (2006) 98
    2. Host, The (2007) 85
    3. Drag Me to Hell (2009) 83
    4. Requiem (2006) 82
    5. Let the Right One In (2008) 82

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Let the Right One In has 98%.
    Odd. Maybe my parameters were off. Anyway, my point is Drag Me to Hell is good.

Orca: The Killer Whale is a bad movie. Plain and simple. Bad technical filmmaking. Bad execution of ideas. Silly silly.

It's got some defenders, though, because it's a really weird movie. It's a quasi-poetic statement film and character study that tries its inept best to be literate. It's got more elements from Moby Dick and the 'Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner' than Jaws (although it is undeniably a cash-in on that film's success) for it builds to a third act that moves and concludes with the air of a Shakespearian tragedy, despite having some of the clunkiest dialogue I've ever heard.

Plus, here's Alex Jackson's review of the film, and I'm always in for some perspective on the quality of Spielberg as a filmmaker (he targets Jaws here, if you're wondering).

Between this, Mark Robson's Earthquake, and Stephen Hopkins' A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child, I'm beginning to wonder if the studio B-movie is the last hiding place for genuine unaffected humanist sentiment. I've seen much better films, mind you, but few as weirdly unshakeable as these.
    He's a nut, but I love this thought.

Does not read Sutter Cane The Mike's Avatar
    Drag Me to Hell was amazing. I haven't been made this giddy by a movie in a long, long time.

While watching it I kept comparing Raimi to Hitchcock in my head, particularly in how so many of his films feel like a "greatest hits" compilation, reusing the right ideas at just the right time.

Can't wait to go again.
    The Mike

It's very very horrible, sir. It's one of those things we wish we could disinvent.

From Midnight, With Love - My Midnight Movie Blog of Justice!

Quote Quoting The Mike (view post)
    Drag Me to Hell was amazing. I haven't been made this giddy by a movie in a long, long time.

While watching it I kept comparing Raimi to Hitchcock in my head, particularly in how so many of his films feel like a "greatest hits" compilation, reusing the right ideas at just the right time.

Can't wait to go again.
    [
    ]

[
    ]
    [
    ]

Seriously you all, go see it.
    The Mike

It's very very horrible, sir. It's one of those things we wish we could disinvent.

[
    ]
    [
    ]

I can't wait to talk about this flick without spoilers. ARGH, it was so much fun!

[
    ]

I can't wait to talk about this flick without spoilers. ARGH, it was so much fun!
    [
    ]
    The Mike

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    This reminds me of Die You Zombie Bastards!

If that's her on the far right, Amanda Wyss has NOT aged well.
    The Mike

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    [
    ]
    What the heck guys I want in too!

[
    ]
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    What the heck guys I want in too!

[
    ]
    [
    ]
    The Mike

[
    ]
    [
    ]

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

*shakes an angry fist at all the spoilers*

[
    ]
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

[
    ]
    [
    ]

Grrr, spoiler tags.

I finally forced myself to watch The Signal, and even though I wasn't expecting the greatest of movies it was still incredibly disappointing. It was told from three different viewpoints, and with shifting timelines (lots of flashbacks) but I am not convinced that the disjointed feel was deliberate. I think it was simply a mess of a movie that the directors didn't quite know how to put together.

I'll watch it again before dismissing it, but I am pretty sure my negative reaction will be permanent.

That's too bad to hear, Jen...but I'm also glad to know that it was wise not to have splurged and bought a copy full price when it came to DVD.

I remember we were so close to seeing this theatrically instead of Cloverfield. We definitely made the right choice
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting jenniferofthejungle (view post)
    I finally forced myself to watch The Signal, and even though I wasn't expecting the greatest of movies it was still incredibly disappointing. It was told from three different viewpoints, and with shifting timelines (lots of flashbacks) but I am not convinced that the disjointed feel was deliberate. I think it was simply a mess of a movie that the directors didn't quite know how to put together.

I'll watch it again before dismissing it, but I am pretty sure my negative reaction will be permanent.
    Yeah, I was actually surprised by how much I hated most of it. Only the first segment was any good, establishing the outbreak through economic, visceral means, but the second's insufferably ill-advised amalgam of broad satire and sadism had me gritting my teeth, while the final third is merely lazy bordering on incoherent, albeit with a nifty closing shot.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

So, Martyrs... I can't recall the last time I've almost had to look away from the screen. Even Inside didn't manage that feat for these desensitized eyes. Anyway, after my viewing last night I was quick to dismiss the controversial second half as pretentious wankery, and yet it has, along with its remarkably tense conjoining half, lingered in my mind on and off all day, enough so that I'm nearly compelled to subject myself to it all again, perhaps against my better judgement. Even if Laugier's thematic concerns and the methods through which he explores them often feel as cynical and contrived as they do genuinely provocative, this utterly bonkers genre mash-up isn't easy to dismiss.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar
    So, Martyrs... I can't recall the last time I've almost had to look away from the screen. Even Inside didn't manage that feat for these desensitized eyes. Anyway, after my viewing last night I was quick to dismiss the controversial second half as pretentious wankery, and yet it has, along with its remarkably tense conjoining half, lingered in my mind on and off all day, enough so that I'm nearly compelled to subject myself to it all again, perhaps against my better judgement. Even if Laugier's thematic concerns and the methods through which he explores them often feel as cynical and contrived as they do genuinely provocative, this utterly bonkers genre mash-up isn't easy to dismiss.
    No, it's not. Rep for you. What an ending, huh? I wasn't as affected as it as a whole like some seem to be, but I won't deny it's power, which seems to be increasingly rare for horror movies lately (not that it makes them any worse, but so many of these French horror movies seem to specialize in generating tension rather than genuine emotion).

Yes!

Quote Quoting Clipper Ship Captain (view post)
    No, it's not. Rep for you. What an ending, huh? I wasn't as affected as it as a whole like some seem to be, but I won't deny it's power, which seems to be increasingly rare for horror movies lately (not that it makes them any worse, but so many of these French horror movies seem to specialize in generating tension rather than genuine emotion).
    I think it's because we have no idea where they're going with it. THen when we finally find out, the idea to put someone through it is almost as shocking as the events we already witnessed. It's truly in a league of it's own.

I just happened across an mp3 of Dave Matthews' theme for Joshua, titled The Fly. It's a haunting little tune, makes me want to revisit the movie, which I found rather disturbing both as a surface horror picture, infused as it is with such disconcertingly discordant formal techniques, and for its dramatic implications, teeming with multifaceted subtexts that paint an incredibly sad portrait of a failed nuclear family. "You know, you don't have to love me." In all, a nearly brilliant subversion of the previous year's schlocky Omen remake.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Page 10 of 356 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast