Page 309 of 356 FirstFirst ... 209259299307308309310311319 ... LastLast
Results 7,701 to 7,725 of 8878

Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

Bring it on.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I love personal threads like that. I've been working on one lately that is similar to my Top 18 MERICAN Action movies and top 20 American Horror movies.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Would anyone here be interested in a thread where I explore off-the-beaten-path interpretations of classic monsters?
    Go for it.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Holy shit. Has anyone ever seen the movie Sleepaway Camp?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086320/

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Are you kidding?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Are you kidding?
    Is that a "of course I have it's legendary"? or "wtf is this shit you're showing us?"

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Is that a "of course I have it's legendary"? or "wtf is this shit you're showing us?"
    First one.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

- - - - -
    I coulda sworn you had seen it, or at least heard of it. Your post surprised me because it's a well known slasher in genre circles (and you're posting in the horror thread).

It's not as mainstream as Freddy, Jason, or Michael but sorta on the level of "Terror Train," "My Bloody Valentine," "Slumber Party Massacre," "April Fool's Day," "Prom Night," "Happy Birthday to Me," etc etc.

ETA: But yeah, it's the definitive "holy shit" movie.
    Last edited by Irish; 09-24-2018 at 03:35 PM.

I've been watching a shit ton of 80s horror movies lately, (getting ready for a little Match Cut Halloween game ... more on that later) somehow this one eluded me, but yes. Absolutely, 100%, "oh shit" moment, fucking bonkers of an ending (both in story and execution).

Yeah, it's an absolute classic, mainly because of that twist ending.

The sequels are significantly lesser, but still fun camp.

There are so many creepy, unnerving characters in that first movie. Not a single staff member at that camp should have been anywhere near children.

Love Sleepaway Camp. The whole thing is insane.

I never got around to watching the sequels but I love that the first one is called Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers.

I have already started my Horrorfest and have seen 7 films so far. Three have been reviewed.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    The Insidious movies do this interesting thing where whenever things might get genuinely unnerving, a ghost pops in front of the screen and the mix blasts your ears with the sound of a bowling ball slamming into the open back of a grand piano.

It's just the pits.

Finally watched the original Piranha, and it was exactly what I like to see in a good B-movie horror. Sketchy but sturdy central characters, great character actors in supporting roles, a touch of mean-spiritedness, lots of laughs, blunt social commentary. Schlock done right. Dante clearly had a lot of fun dicking around on the flatbed, getting those drawn-out cross-cut suspense moments just right (and just long enough that we laugh at how long it sometimes takes).

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Finally watched the original Piranha, and it was exactly what I like to see in a good B-movie horror. Sketchy but sturdy central characters, great character actors in supporting roles, a touch of mean-spiritedness, lots of laughs, blunt social commentary. Schlock done right. Dante clearly had a lot of fun dicking around on the flatbed, getting those drawn-out cross-cut suspense moments just right (and just long enough that we laugh at how long it sometimes takes).
    I just watched the original for the first time last week too!

3 years after Jaws opens with a couple going for a seemingly innocent swim at night, Piranha opens with a couple going for an innocent swim in an abandoned Army pool at night. Little do they know, the pool is harboring Piranhas; man made killer Piranhas. It feels very familiar until the very next scene our main character, Maggie, is playing Jaws the video game, making this movie and Joe Dante completely self aware.

Now, how do you take a killer shark concept and translate it to smaller fish that are self contained? Make the pool they were living in able to be drained into the river and beyond of course.

Most of the movie is spent trying to convince people the mutated piranhas are swimming down river to a children's camp. But the movie becomes a little off pudding when the kids are attacked. I much prefer the college kids beach attack. Dick Miller makes his Joe Dante appearance as mayor of the town.

Gore-5/10
    Acting-(5/10)
    Nudity-2/10 - Topless girl at very beginning
    Story- 5/10
    Cheese-2/10
    -----------------------------
    70s Slow Pacing Factor (6/10)

I agree that the movie veers into needless crassness with the attack on the children, but the movie's also careful to show only two actual deaths in that scene, with near-everyone able to stand. I'm not sure if that makes the scene better (because kids weren't killed) or worse (because the film exploited that anxiety for cheap titillation), but I'd agree it's the least successful part of the film. The film kicks back into gear, like you say, around the time of the park attack, and the whole movie's worth it for this priceless exchange:

[
    ]

- - - - -
    Well, shit, now you guys have made me want to see it.

(I dunno why I haven't before. I've come around on Joe Dante and the fucking movie was written by John Sayles!!)

I cant wait to start my horrorthon. I am horror deprived.

Best horror(-ish) movies of the last 15 years (horror-comedies most definitely count).

Lake Mungo (76)
    What We Do in the Shadows (76)
    Thirst (75)
    Funny Games (75)
    Bedeviled (73)
    Hereditary (72)
    Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (72)
    Shaun of the Dead (72)
    It Follows (71)
    Resolution (71)
    Cabin in the Woods (71)
    The Girl with all the Gifts (71)
    Fright Night (71)
    Seoul Station (71)
    You're Next (70)
    Stuck (70)
    Joshua (70)
    Dawn of the Dead (70)
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Worst horror movies of the last 15 years (that I have seen, obviously; these probably wouldn't make the bottom 100 if I was forced to watch all the dreck that is released):

The Red Shoes (11)
    Black House (14)
    The Forgotten (15)
    The Exorcism of Emily Rose (19)
    Let Us Prey (22)
    Into the Mirror (24)
    Proxy (25)
    The Bar (25)
    The Neighbors (26)
    The Devil's Candy (28)
    Tusk (28)
    Rammbock: Berlin Undead
    Little Evil (31)
    Gozu (33)
    The Last Winter (33)
    Goodnight Mommy (33)
    Death Note (34)
    Creep (34)
    Alien vs. Predator (34)
    The Happening (35)
    The Visit (36)
    Truth or Dare (36)
    Pathology (37)
    Grave Encounters (37)
    Bluebeard (37)
    Madre (37)
    The Piper (38)
    The Strangers (38)
    Black Sheep (38)
    The Innkeepers (39)

(Movies in bold are Korean movies I would expect no-one to recognize)
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Worst horror movies of the last 15 years (that I have seen, obviously; these probably wouldn't make the bottom 100 if I was forced to watch all the dreck that is released):

The Red Shoes (11)
    Black House (14)
    The Forgotten (15)
    The Exorcism of Emily Rose (19)
    Let Us Prey (22)
    Into the Mirror (24)
    Proxy (25)
    The Bar (25)
    The Neighbors (26)
    The Devil's Candy (28)
    Tusk (28)
    Rammbock: Berlin Undead
    Little Evil (31)
    Gozu (33)
    The Last Winter (33)
    Goodnight Mommy (33)
    Death Note (34)
    Creep (34)
    Alien vs. Predator (34)
    The Happening (35)
    The Visit (36)
    Truth or Dare (36)
    Pathology (37)
    Grave Encounters (37)
    Bluebeard (37)
    Madre (37)
    The Piper (38)
    The Strangers (38)
    Black Sheep (38)
    The Innkeepers (39)

(Movies in bold are Korean movies I would expect no-one to recognize)
    The only real question mark here is the Innkeepers which I thought was a nice slow burn. I love me some Ti West.

If Alien v Predator is on this list I would say you made out pretty well considering you haven't seen Wish Upon, the Bye Bye Man and any Paranormal Activity films.

Then of course there's the C-list D-Video stuff that would make anyone's list.

The only real question mark here is the Innkeepers which I thought was a nice slow burn. I love me some Ti West.

If Alien v Predator is on this list I would say you made out pretty well considering you haven't seen Wish Upon, the Bye Bye Man and any Paranormal Activity films.

Then of course there's the C-list D-Video stuff that would make anyone's list.
    I think I've seen the first two PA films; they were alright. Haven't seen the last two, and I basically don't watch any horror that has been critically panned because the chance of any of them being a hidden treasure is basically nil. So I will never see Slender Man or The Nun or Jigsaw etc. If a couple of the people I follow on Letterboxd praise something, I will generally give it a go, so I'm planning on watching
    Unfriended: The Dark Web and The Babysitter for that reason, even though they aren't generally liked so much.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64