Page 283 of 356 FirstFirst ... 183233273281282283284285293333 ... LastLast
Results 7,051 to 7,075 of 8878

Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

Check this out...gonna watch it soon. The Taking of Deborah Logan.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70301341?trkid=13752289

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Halloween 7 AKA H20: By far the best in the original franchise- in all categories except boobage. Best acting with a wicked young JGL, Josh Harnett and Michelle Williams plus of course JLC is back. L.L. Cool J doesn't even suck. The only real negative is that Michael isn't killed by water (I guess H20 is technically H-20 but we know what you were trying to do there Hollywood). Questionable writing catching up with what Laurie has been doing for the past 20 years though- why would she think Michael is dead because she watched him burn? Did she not pay attention to the three other Halloween massacres that surely would have made the national headlining news? Steve Miner actually does a decent job here with three iconic and memorable shots- The first time Michael and Laurie are reunited between the glass door, Michael performing a one handed pull up as he surprised Laurie, and then Michael knocking over tables as Laurie crawls beneath them. Then of course there's the most badass ending to a slasher movie.

***½
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I think I just heard Spun spontaneously combust.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    I've been watching some horror stuff this month that I'll go over soon, but in the meantime, I just wanted to express how exciting it is to finally really get a highly acclaimed film. My first viewing of The Exorcist at least a decade ago was confused and indifferent, a more recent viewing probably half a decade ago was far more appreciative, but it still didn't resonate on some fundamental level. Watching it again tonight, I found it (in its original theatrical cut) existentially disquieting and really masterful in every respect. I was blind, but now I see. In any case, I'm going to use this revelatory viewing as a jumping-off point to watch the remainder of the Exorcist series that I've never previously felt compelled to explore, right down to the Schrader/Harlin prequel duology that already sounds like it will make for a fascinating back-to-back viewing experience.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Save yourself the pain, and just watch #3.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I actually dug Dust Devil. It works as a twisted supernatural partner to The Hitcher.

Halloween 6 is beyond awful. However I did really enjoy H20. Despite the title being stupid. I still have Halloween: Busta Rhymes fights Michael left. Yikes.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I think I just heard Spun spontaneously combust.
    I stopped, dropped, and rolled. I'm OK.

Prom Night (1980) is a disco infused tense slasher film that I really enjoyed. I was a bit disappointed though that [
    ]
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Everyone should check out The Taking of Deborah Logan. Sheeeeeeeit.

Halloween 8 AKA Resurrection: Back to Suckage- I'm glad they finally wrote off Laurie character. I was getting tired of her even with only 3.25 appearances in 8 movies. It was a nice way to explain the beheading of Michael Myers. Though the opening of the movie takes place in ANOTHER hospital where there doesn't appear to be anyone working in it, the rest of the movie is filled with victims. We have a young Katee Sackhoff, Busta Rhymes (presumably at the height of his music career) and Tyra Banks fresh off the SI Swimsuit Edition and Coyote Ugly. Just by the latter two stars this movie already feels incredibly dated with tons of internet lingo, the help of some really bad product placement of an HP Palm Pilot and Yahoo. The premise of the movie tries to piggyback off the previous events in the franchise with the exception of ignoring the 6th movie; Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers where a family actually moved into the old house where Michael murdered his sister. In Resurrection it is presented as if the house has been unoccupied for 50 years. The death scenes are 90s-eye-rolling-worthy- In fact, aside from some F-Bombs by Bustra Rhymes and some boobs on a grainy lipstick camera, I'm wondering if this could pass for PG-13 today. As expected, not the best way to end a classic franchise; at the bottom of the barrel.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I um, actually enjoyed Halloween: Resurrection. I'm not proud of this, nor can I really explain properly, just to say this: Trick or treat motherfucker. At any rate I'll eagerly defend it over Parts 5 and 6, both which are godawful.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I watched The Woman in Black last night. I wish I had watched something else. What a dull film. The first half has no flow, just choppy exposition mixed with scaredy townsfolk. I was hoping the second half would make up for it, but really the entire film consists of shadows, silhouettes, and reflections paired with loud spikes in music/sound effects to try to generate scares. It's cheap, and for the most part, completely ineffective. Eventually this escalates to what could have been a couple of genuine scares, but by then I was so disinterested it wasn't going to win me back. I did think the ending was going to earn a half of a bonus point for unexpectedness, but then it went and screwed that up entirely right before the fade to black.

Tonight I'm going with Night of the Creeps. At least I know I'll have fun.

Remember this?

Well

Technically not a 'horror' film per se but the last half hour of Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple is about the most terrifying thing I've seen recently. So appropriate viewing for All Hallow's Eve.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I don't venture in this thread that often because I'm not the biggest horror fan, but I saw this trailer before Birdman today and wondered if you guys have heard about this. I'm getting a Lovecraft vibe from its contrast and creature design; it looks really cool!

Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Yikes!

Wow. First I heard of it. Looks like a winner.

http://www.empireonline.com/intervie...w.asp?IID=1963

an interview with Howard Sherman, the actor who played Bub in day of the dead.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Wow. First I heard of it. Looks like a winner.
    With 96% on RT and an avg rating of 8/10, it looks like one indeed. Hope it'll play close to home.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Watched both the original and remake of: I Spit On Your Grave

The rape scene(s) in the original felt like it went on forever. Hard to watch.

Horns was pretty cool. I should get around to reading the book.

Both Clown and Babadook look terrifying, heh. I'm not scared of clowns but that clown...yikes. The Babadook trailer is probably one of the scariest ones I've seen in some time.

Also I watched and loved both Event Horizon and You're Next on Halloween. Sadly I didn't get to any other horror films this weekend, but I think I'll watch a few more this week and call it good, although November is strangely appropriate for more horror viewing. And I still have at least four or five Hammer Studios movies left on my Netflix DVD queue.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I just updated my Movies First Seen in 2014, and apparently last night I watched two of the worst for the year.

The Visitor was first. What a confused mess this was. Lots of big names. Mel Ferrer. Glenn Ford. John Huston as Space Jesus. A young Lance Henrickson. Shelly Winters plays a black woman. (The part was written like a stereotypical black person. We concluded they'd intended to cast a black woman, but when Shelly Winters came on board they gave it to her and didn't change any of her dialogue. Because that would be racist.) The story is wacky nonsense; Space Satan did something to some woman on Earth so she'd start having evil babies. She had one evil little girl 8 years ago. And by evil we mean, she just does really horrible stuff to people because she's evil. She doesn't seek a goal, she just likes to hurt people. Because she's evil. EVIL! So, Space God, sorry, Commander Yahweh, (yup), sends Space Jesus to stop her and the evil-baby-making machine who is completely oblivious to the fact that she's making evil babies, even though her own child shot her in the back "by accident" and paralyzed her. For no reason.

Seemed they were trying to go for The Omen, But There Are Aliens This Time. The story was utter nonsense, on-par with a witchcraft story where the rules of the universe are loose and vague, replacing witchcraft-y words with space-y words. Scenes drag on and on, and only a few actually turn plot-points. There are a number of scenes where nothing is happening, but the music is BOOMING AND INTENSE! And even then, the plot points are meaningless in the long run because the whole story seems pointless. Space Jesus is ineffectual for the entire run until the end when [
    ]

Dull dull dull stupid dull dull stupid. Avoid.

2/10

We then watched The Town that Dreaded Sundown. This is a film I've been meaning to see for a while. Its reputation precedes it.

This fucking movie pulls the same shit that Craven's Last House on the Left pulled. Horrible things happen to people and police are so ineffectual IT'S HILARIOUS! Oh oh oh, Deputy Exposition forgot the keys, a-hyuck-hyuck-hyuck. How does he even stay on the force? He's obviously completely unqualified to do ANYTHING, har-hardy-haw-haw. And now here's a very serious scene where a man beats and kills two people. LOOK AT THESE COPS' WACKY HIJINKS! Man shot in the head, woman is shot in the head twice and chased through town. POLICEMEN FUNNY!!!!!

Fuck you, movie. Go fuck yourself.

4/10 and I'm being generous.

Bava's Planet of the Vampires was a colossal disappointment. It's one Jen and I have wanted to see for so very long, and we were both totally underwhelmed.

A case of "the cover art is better than the movie" (as well as being flat out misleading). Not only does the main front cover image show an actual conflict between the alien skeleton creatures and the astronauts, but two images on then back show this...and it never happens. The skeletons remain inanimate, and the people wander around spouting horrible sci fi lingo ("We're entering the atmosphere at 60 fractions of macron!" is an actual line from the movie).

Its vibrant colours and wacky set and costume design do not make up for it being a colossal bore.

Far from Bava's best.

I find The Town That Dreaded Sundown and Planet of the Vampires to both be decent films.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular