Page 337 of 356 FirstFirst ... 237287327335336337338339347 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,425 of 8878

Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

Anything for Jackson -- A very pleasant surprise. The concept didn't wow me upon reading it, but all the positive buzz convinced me to press Play. This movie is a breath of fresh air! This in an 8/10 that may get a repeat viewing from me to see if my score might go up. It's really that good. There's no question that the demonic/satanic forces are at work. Every lead experiences it and knows it's real. It has such a grounded and (I know I've used this already to describe it), refreshing sense of humor about it. These people are in way over their heads, and some of their reactions are very human and very funny. The final scene is also so perfectly understated and ominous. I really didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Strongly recommended!
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Anything for Jackson -- A very pleasant surprise. The concept didn't wow me upon reading it, but all the positive buzz convinced me to press Play. This movie is a breath of fresh air! This in an 8/10 that may get a repeat viewing from me to see if my score might go up. It's really that good. There's no question that the demonic/satanic forces are at work. Every lead experiences it and knows it's real. It has such a grounded and (I know I've used this already to describe it), refreshing sense of humor about it. These people are in way over their heads, and some of their reactions are very human and very funny. The final scene is also so perfectly understated and ominous. I really didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Strongly recommended!
    This sounds good. Plot synopsis has me hoping for a satanic screwball comedy. Looking at the director's filmography... quite the left turn for him.

Wow, I am super intrigued by that one.

Don't seem to have access to it anywhere yet. I hope it gets a physical release.

Thanks for the recc, Spun!
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Anyone here seen the 2019 flick Sea Fever?

My notes say I have. I think I liked it?

The Soultangler -- Viewed for Grim Street Grindhouse. Wow. I mean ... I'm kind of speechless on this one. I know it was made for $8000 in the mid-80s, which would be about $20,000 today, which would also be more than the amount that was spent on Paranormal Activity, given inflation adjustments and all that. (Paranormal Activity would have been about $18,000 today.) I don't know where to even begin with this one. I would say about 75% of it is filler. There's about 10 minutes near the end where it becomes enjoyably silly and gory, but outside of that, it's a real fuckin' drag. This movie redefines the word amateurish. I understand they may not have had access to film school and all that, but there HAD to be some books available somewhere! They MUST have had the opportunity to, you know, read screenwriting books at the very least. I'll refrain from slapping a score on it until I've got my video done, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be very low. The boredom alone knocks it down quite a bit.

A bunch of the horror fans on Letterboxd are giving this 6/10 to 8/10 scores and I'm like ... whaaaa?? Did we even watch the same damn movie?
    Last edited by Spun Lepton; 02-08-2021 at 03:41 AM.

After Midnight -- It's a well-produced film. Looks and sounds good, strong performances. But, MAN, that story is a real shitter. A romance with no real point to it, and there's also a monster that pops up here and there for ten minutes of the movie, total. I mean, I don't even think the monster is a metaphor for anything, it's just kind of there. I don't know, maybe I'm mistaken about that. Either way, it's a slow burn until the last 20 minutes, where it becomes even slower. Then it ends with a monster battle. I did not like it, no sir. 4/10

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    After Midnight -- It's a well-produced film. Looks and sounds good, strong performances. But, MAN, that story is a real shitter. A romance with no real point to it, and there's also a monster that pops up here and there for ten minutes of the movie, total. I mean, I don't even think the monster is a metaphor for anything, it's just kind of there. I don't know, maybe I'm mistaken about that. Either way, it's a slow burn until the last 20 minutes, where it becomes even slower. Then it ends with a monster battle. I did not like it, no sir. 4/10
    I...hated that movie.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I had a zombie movie idea that was going to use that title. Maybe it's for the best since Eric Clapton turned out be a POS.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

I'm not sure The Flesh and the Fiends is a horror movie, but I liked it despite the film taking a bit too long to get moving. Then the last act felt rushed oddly enough. Good cast and some of the murders were creepy. What a pair of ghouls, Blake and Hare.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Anyone caught Saint Maud yet?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Anyone caught Saint Maud yet?
    Not yet, but I've heard mixed things about it from some of my friends that have: https://letterboxd.com/catelyn/film/saint-maud/

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    I'm not sure The Flesh and the Fiends is a horror movie, but I liked it despite the film taking a bit too long to get moving. Then the last act felt rushed oddly enough. Good cast and some of the murders were creepy. What a pair of ghouls, Blake and Hare.
    I really like this. Where did you get to see it - I'd love a rewatch.

Freaky had moments that are the best stuff Landon has ever done, but also had some of the weakest. He is best when giving subversive looks at horror. His reverence of the genre (especially 80s slashers) is palpable and his energetic love of even the cheesiest moments from that era give the CGI-less kills and vulgar post-Porky's humor an infectious nostalgia.

The weakest parts happen when it comes to a screeching halt for earnest attempts to make you tear up, which just don't jive with the rest of it. We saw glimpses of this tendency in Happy Death Day (with the schmaltzy but still poignant ending) but a few scenes here stop the forward momentum of the story which up to that point was uninterrupted.

Vaughn kills it, and I never got tired of his run.

Some of the best kills since Hatchet.

Very flawed, but the highs are high enough that we will definitely be watching it again.

Ravenous. Couldn't figure out the tone at first, then warmed up to it before thoroughly enjoying the conclusion. Now I'm looking back and kinda love it? Probably going to watch again.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Ravenous. Couldn't figure out the tone at first, then warmed up to it before thoroughly enjoying the conclusion. Now I'm looking back and kinda love it? Probably going to watch again.
    I'll never forget seeing that in the theater. We knew nothing about it, and it rocked our socks off. Then it was out of the theater about 8 days after release. Major bomb as I recall.

Yeah, Ravenous is the bees knees.

I wish I had jumped on the Screm Factory BluRay before it went OOP. My barbebones DVD isn't even anamorphic.

Great casting all around. The wendigo legend works really well as a metaphor. Still, I'm not surprised it bombed. It's pretty ugly, and horror-comedy doesn't usually appeal to a massive demographic.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Great casting all around. The wendigo legend works really well as a metaphor. Still, I'm not surprised it bombed. It's pretty ugly, and horror-comedy doesn't usually appeal to a massive demographic.
    Yeah but I recall it REALLY bombed. Like less than a million first week. And I recall they sold it as a straight up horror, it should've made more than that on accident.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    I really like this. Where did you get to see it - I'd love a rewatch.
    Check it out on Shudder. They put up at least three or four Peter Cushing flicks this month.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Ravenous is awesome and a lot of fun. It works best as a dark comedy with horror and western elements.

Oh hey I found my review: https://madman731.wordpress.com/2014...-antonia-bird/
    Last edited by DFA1979; 02-17-2021 at 06:18 PM.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    Check it out on Shudder. They put up at least three or four Peter Cushing flicks this month.
    Does Shudder have an ever increasing number of available films or a fixed number that they rotate?
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 02-18-2021 at 02:46 PM.

Pretty sure they rotate their non-exclusives.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    Does Shudder have an ever increasing number of available films or a fixed number that they rotate?
    It's limited in what they can keep non exclusive wise but they have been known to put back on movies that they have to remove due to rights issues. Tubi has more horror stuff but the quality is more hit and miss.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Speaking of Tubi I watched Shock Waves and Twice Dead last night. Despite needing more gore I thought Shock Waves was a decent Nazi zombies flick that had Peter Cushing and John Carradine. Also the island scenery is gorgeous and I liked how the zombies looked. It trails off in the final act and I'm not sure why the zombies didn't try to eat the people. I wonder if Fulci saw this and decided to offer his own, better and more nastier take.

Twice Dead has some good kills in the final act yet I was left wondering why a movie with an evil ghost spent most of it's time focusing on a street gang. This is not even a so bad it's good movie-nope it is just bad, period. Oh well.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own