Page 320 of 356 FirstFirst ... 220270310318319320321322330 ... LastLast
Results 7,976 to 8,000 of 8878

Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

The way this football game is going, I may check it out tonight.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    ALERT: New "Creepshow" anthology premieres tonight on Shudder.

12 episodes. Trailer looks good but then I am a sucker for horror anthologies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inzsKlVR_N8
    Episode one: The first story was a decent opener, but nothing worth bragging about. However, the second story is so damn good. I’m not going to say much, except it’s definitely worth your time.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Episode one: The first story was a decent opener, but nothing worth bragging about. However, the second story is so damn good. I’m not going to say much, except it’s definitely worth your time.
    Yep. I couldn't get through the first episode but the second! One of the best horror shorts I've seen in a long while and definitely the weirdest. JFC who thought that up.

This week's episodes are lighter in tone, more straight up horror comedy, but a lotta pulpy fun. The second one with DJ Qualls had me howling.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Anyone doing any Halloween marathon runs? Wife and I have been able to do pretty well so far. This year franchise run was Child's Play. Last year we did Nightmare on Elm Street, year before we did Hellraiser, year before that we Paranormal Activity, year before we did Halloween.

23 Trick 'r Treat
    22 Cult of Chucky
    21 Cabin Fever 2016
    20 The Crazies
    19 Scream
    19 Curse of Chucky
    18 Seed of Chucky
    17 Bride of Chucky
    16 Child's Play 3
    15 Child's Play 2
    14 Child’s Play 1988
    13 Suspiria 2018
    12 Ma
    11 Crawl
    10 Child's Play 2019
    09 The Fanatic
    08 Rogue
    02 Midsommar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Anyone doing any Halloween marathon runs?
    Criterion Channel has 9 of the RKO / Val Lewton pictures available, so I've been enjoying those: Cat People, The Ghost Ship, I Walked with a Zombie, The Leopard Man, The Seventh Victim, Curse of the Cat People, Isle of the Dead, The Body Snatcher, and Bedlam.

I wasn’t much of a fan of last week’s Creepshow. We’ll see what this week has to offer.

Criterion Channel has 9 of the RKO / Val Lewton pictures available, so I've been enjoying those: Cat People, The Ghost Ship, I Walked with a Zombie, The Leopard Man, The Seventh Victim, Curse of the Cat People, Isle of the Dead, The Body Snatcher, and Bedlam.
    Cat People is queued up for me next.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    I wasn’t much of a fan of last week’s Creepshow. We’ll see what this week has to offer.
    Yeah, tbh, I thought both episodes sucked last week but I'm still digging the series.

Cat People is queued up for me next.
    Check out Leopard Man if you can. Some call it the first slasher film.

It has a reaaaaaaally fucked up opening sequence considering the time it was made. I was honestly shocked by it.

Ohh I might put that at the top of the list then since I'm kind of in a groove for slasher films.

Quick, best slasher film ever? go!

edit: oh damn, only 1 place to watch it https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-leopard-man

I'm to about 40 for the month, most of them being crap.

This weeks Creepshow was one good long episode, and then a filler gore piece.

The only ones I haven't seen are Bedlam and The Ghost Ship. I saw most of them via TCM back in 2008.

I have seen 24 horror movies this month ranging from really awful to great.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre is not the masterpiece I remember it.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre is not the masterpiece I remember it.
    I really can't argue with this.

Don't get me wrong, I love Leatherface's initial reveal, (hammer to the head), the meat hook sequence, the chainsawing of the dude in the wheel chair, and then the dance at the end. Alot of the other stuff I kind of sit there with an eyebrow raised.

- - - - -
    Ya know ... I expect this sort of thing from Duke, but Scar? SCAR?!

WHY HAST THOU FORSAKEN ME, SCAR?!!!

Ya know ... I expect this sort of thing from Duke, but Scar? SCAR?!

WHY HAST THOU FORSAKEN ME, SCAR?!!!
    I mean I enjoy it, but it’s not a Masterpiece. Alien is a masterpiece.

I really can't argue with this.

Don't get me wrong, I love Leatherface's initial reveal, (hammer to the head), the meat hook sequence, the chainsawing of the dude in the wheel chair, and then the dance at the end. Alot of the other stuff I kind of sit there with an eyebrow raised.
    You hear a girl screaming for literally the last 20 minutes of the movie.

- - - - -
    I mean I enjoy it, but it’s not a Masterpiece. Alien is a masterpiece.
    Speaking of which, did you see that "Memory: The Origins of 'Alien'" documentary?

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/m...igins-of-alien

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/03/m...en-review.html

(I think "Alien" is a great movie but also vastly overrated, and it's overrated partly because it mirrors contemporary aesthetics and partly because Fox turned it into a successful 40 year franchise. When weirdo superfans push "Alien Day" in late April, you know something has gone horribly wrong.)

- - - - -
    In short: LEATHERFACE 4 EVA

I have that collection on DVD I think, tho not connected to Criterion per se.

I was so taken with The Body Snatcher and Bedlam, more so than I thought I'd be. I Walked with a Zombie is also sweet; incredible atmosphere.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Speaking of which, did you see that "Memory: The Origins of 'Alien'" documentary?

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/m...igins-of-alien

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/03/m...en-review.html

(I think "Alien" is a great movie but also vastly overrated, and it's overrated partly because it mirrors contemporary aesthetics and partly because Fox turned it into a successful 40 year franchise. When weirdo superfans push "Alien Day" in late April, you know something has gone horribly wrong.)
    I have. I liked it. I get the whole Alien franchise blah blah thing- but that documentary dives deep into how Scott took the concept of early 50s and 60s space exploration films and went in a completely different direction. It goes deep into the set designs and all the Giger stuff too. Because remember, coming out of the 60s, we had Star Trek and 2001: A Space Odyssey as the biggest influences of sci-fi... clean, sleek designed space crafts and living spaces and white everywhere. And Scott decided to make the ships dingy, wet, messy and filled with a bunch of smokers and space truck drivers. Must watch for Alien lovers.

Totally not overrated.

- - - - -
    Because remember, coming out of the 60s, we had Star Trek and 2001: A Space Odyssey as the biggest influences of sci-fi... clean, sleek designed space crafts and living spaces and white everywhere. And Scott decided to make the ships dingy, wet, messy and filled with a bunch of smokers and space truck drivers. Must watch for Alien lovers.
    *cough*Shivers*cough*
    *cough*Soylent Green*cough*
    *cough*Star Wars*cough*

Ach, sorry. Something must be stuck in my throat.

ETA: As far as 'masterpiece' goes, I don't think it's fair to compare a well budgeted studio film to the crazy nastiness Hooper turned out with nothing but a camera, some film, and a few friends.

- - - - -
    I rewatched both last night.

"Texas Chain Saw" remains brilliant. I dunno what you guys are talking about.

"Alien" is fucking beautiful. Loved it again, except for the last 30 minutes. (I have this problem with "Terminator," too, because I've seen these movies so much that the big action climaxes no longer have any suspense.)

Two things annoyed me:

- "Texas Chain Saw" was originally shot on 16mm yet the print I viewed last night was spotless -- not a speck of grain anywhere. WTF? This movies needs the goddamn grain.

- I remain annoyed at Scott and Cameron for re-editing their movies in 2003. The "special editions" and "director's cuts" are more widely available now than the original theatrical cuts. Which sucks. Scott is the worse of the two, because he fucked with the pacing of "Alien," shaved time off a whole buncha scenes, and then and added material so his film could retroactively be more franchise friendly.

Alien is indeed a masterpiece.

The greatest movie monster ever created.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Yeah, Texas Chainsaw Massacre is one of my five favorite horror movies of all time. Seeing a 4K restoration of it earlier this month felt less like watching a movie and more like witnessing the last known footage of those characters. And Leatherface's chainsaw running in full surround sound during the chainsaw dance will never not be haunting. Excellent film.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd