Page 305 of 356 FirstFirst ... 205255295303304305306307315355 ... LastLast
Results 7,601 to 7,625 of 8878

Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I had to report someone to RT because I got an IM saying that the person was going to find me and kill me for my negative review of Silent Hill.
    Hahahah can you share your reviewer page? I didn't know you had one.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I like Silent Hill but I'm not homicidal about it.
    Yet.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Hahahah can you share your reviewer page? I didn't know you had one.
    I wasn't even part of the Tomato meter. My site hadn't even been approved at the that time, and once it had we had pretty much called it quits.

The review was posted in the forums.

That's the craziest thing. My negative review wasn't even part of the rotten meter.

I tracked down my review.

Maybe I should have received death threats. LOL!

Man...going back and reading some of my old reviews is like being slapped in the face with a harsh reality.

I really hated writing bad reviews. I always preferred writing about movies I loved. Whenever I wrote about bad movies, I always fell into the trap of trying to hard, and for what?

Embarrassing! The movie really pissed me off. Now I kind of want to watch it again to see if it still does.

[
    ]

I feel that way about the majority of my posting on RT. It was my first online forum. It takes time to learn how interact with people in this fashion. (Not saying this about your review, that barely deserved a postcard saying "You suck" let alone a death threat.)

That might have been the last negative review I wrote for the site.

I realized that all I was trying to do in negative reviews is out snark the other negative reviews, and it wasn't fun.

I think it was after that that I realized that it was more fruitful to champion more deserving films, and write more positively about films I actually liked.

It'd be an interesting experiment to rewatch all of the films I reviewed to see how much my opinions have changed.

I feel that way about the majority of my posting on RT. It was my first online forum. It takes time to learn how interact with people in this fashion. (Not saying this about your review, that barely deserved a postcard saying "You suck" let alone a death threat.)
    Yeah. totally. We were really trying to MAKE IT with the site at that time, and that definitely had an impact on the way we wrote during those first couple of years. After we realized that we weren't going to MAKE IT, we changed our focus and things were better for it.

I realized that all I was trying to do in negative reviews is out snark the other negative reviews, and it wasn't fun.
    That's exactly what we all did in the beginning, and I came to hate it too. Maybe just getting older lol. I often now say "This film is just not meant for me" rather than "I hate this piece of shit". Unless it genuinely is a piece of rubbish, that is.

Return of the Living Dead (1985) - Dir. Dan O'Bannon
    [
    ]

A slightly better review. Not as embarrassing.

It's pretty crazy to think about how much time and energy I devoted to cinema between the years of 1999 and 2010.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    The Night remake sorta infuriates me. It's just loud and busy and never nearly as interesting as the original. Ugh. And Return I've never really been able to embrace. It's riotous and inventive and fun for about half of its runtime, but it always runs out of gas. I tried watching it many times and even owned it for a while, but watching it always felt obligatory instead of something I anticipated.
    I can understand your point of view on both these films.
    The Night remake is a major step down from the original, but for an eighties remake I think it's pretty effective and makes some interesting changes. However, it's nothing special.
    I love Return, but there are some real missteps in the film. The most obvious is the one you mentioned; it can't sustain it's manic momentum, and the ending feels tacked on. Still, I really enjoy what does work and will watch it every couple of years.

Shaun - ****
    I agree
    Last edited by Devlin; 10-31-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Land, Diary and Survival - range from * to couldn't finish. Land is one of the worst movies I've ever finished.
    Land really disappointed me the first time I saw it. It's grown on me, but I still think it's a ridiculous concept. It has it's moments, but overall is kind of bland.
    I did like Diary though. It certainly wasn't great, but had a neat execution. I've only seen it once (about ten years ago), so it's possible I could have a different opinion if I viewed it now.
    With Survival I couldn't believe what I was seeing. A complete waste of time.

Where did you land on Silent Hill? Hated it?
    Oh god yes.
    I hated it too.

Quote Quoting Devlin (view post)
    I love Return, but there are some real missteps in the film. The most obvious is the one you mentioned; it can't sustain it's manic momentum, and the ending feels tacked on. Still, I really enjoy what does work and will watch it every couple of years.
    I slightly agree with both you and DAMU that Return can't quite keep up its creative momentum for the entire run-time. It would probably be an even better film with 7 or so minutes cut. But it has so much charm and character that I can easily overlook that.

Producer
    Night of the Living Dead is one of my favorite films of all time. Dawn is ok but effective in more of a "ohhhh nice subtext" than being an actual film (horror or otherwise) for me. I like both Snyder's remake, Day, and Land better. Probably need to rewatch all of them though.

I actually wrote some short capsules for Night remake and Return four years back (non-spoiler but put in one just not to make this post too long):

Night of the Living Dead (1990) -

[
    ]

Return of the Living Dead (1985) -

[
    ]
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Producer
    As for what I actually watched for Halloween this year, only a recent horror film (will post in its own thread) and this:

The Masque of the Red Death (1964)

Vincent Price moderates his villainy to delicious perfection, but everyone else is too one-note, which works well for the grotesque court scenes, but becomes a slog everywhere else. Still, the foggy outdoor, the color-coded multi-rooms (or just those gorgeous colors in general, courtesy of Nicolas Roeg), and the grand finale that lives up to the splashy film title though... worth the price of admission for them alone. 6.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Rabid

First time viewing.

...ehh.

There's one holy moment where the lead hero drives through a rabies-ridden street, a rabid man jumps his car, a sniper takes out the rabid man, two men in hazmat suits pop out and scrub down the hero's car, and then slap the hood and motion him along. That almost makes the whole film worth it. But the film plays like a pretty loose grab-bag of Social Issue Horror, and the moments with scares never quite function. Interesting stuff conceptually - especially how Marilyn Chambers' flip on Dracula (with the rabids as her Renfields) never requires real seduction. Most men fling themselves at her big eyes and perfect blond hair. (And many act amazed when she reciprocates, a funny touch.)

In general, I haven't responded strongly to any of the early Cronenberg I've seen: The Brood was okay, this was unembarrassing, Scanners was just too damn goofy. (I even thought Videodrome was just okay, which basically makes me a pariah.)

Quote Quoting Devlin (view post)
    I did like Diary though. It certainly wasn't great, but had a neat execution. I've only seen it once (about ten years ago), so it's possible I could have a different opinion if I viewed it now.
    I decided to revisit this last night as my final Halloween movie for the month. After watching it this time I believe I must have been drunk or delirious during my first viewing because I was not impressed. The best parts of this film have to do with Romero's commentary on the internet age and the inundation of video availability. Most of this commentary, however, comes outside the narrative of the basic story and undermines the first person point of view concept. There are some good gore effects, but the characters are typically annoying and illogical most of the time. It seems as if when he made Land and then Diary Romero was pandering to the young audience that was embracing the contemporary zombie films of the day (like 28 Days Later and the Dawn remake) while attempting to bring his own brand of social commentary, but unfortunately he failed.
    I originally gave this film three stars, but based on this recent viewing I'm reducing it to two stars. Not a total loss, but certainly disappointing and a further indication that after Day of the Dead Romero really had nothing fresh to bring to the zombie table.

Rabid

First time viewing.

...ehh.

There's one holy moment where the lead hero drives through a rabies-ridden street, a rabid man jumps his car, a sniper takes out the rabid man, two men in hazmat suits pop out and scrub down the hero's car, and then slap the hood and motion him along. That almost makes the whole film worth it. But the film plays like a pretty loose grab-bag of Social Issue Horror, and the moments with scares never quite function. Interesting stuff conceptually - especially how Marilyn Chambers' flip on Dracula (with the rabids as her Renfields) never requires real seduction. Most men fling themselves at her big eyes and perfect blond hair. (And many act amazed when she reciprocates, a funny touch.)

In general, I haven't responded strongly to any of the early Cronenberg I've seen: The Brood was okay, this was unembarrassing, Scanners was just too damn goofy. (I even thought Videodrome was just okay, which basically makes me a pariah.)
    Early David Cronenberg movies are usually better remembered than watched. They're great on paper, and in the intellectual ways they can be analyzed, but more often than not they're not very good movies.

I wrapped up with The Witch, and it was an absolutely delightful time.

I wrapped up with The Witch, and it was an absolutely delightful time.
    Really liked this. One of the best horror films in recent years.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Delightful wouldn't be the word I choose to describe that movie.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

It's decent. [/controversy]

I prefer the Snyder version and probably wouldn't give any Romero movie higher than ** 1/2.

Talk to y'all later.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

MatchCut gets weirder every year.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."