Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Web Comics

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I do not care much for that modified PBF comic. A joke about tricky and dishonest parenting becomes yet another lol child sex abuse gag. Meh.
    What fascinates me about this comic, out of many elements, is the way we're forced to imagine his shocked face upon exiting the cave and finding the cheerful bus driver. Cap it off with the father's pleasant wave and its just comedy. Can't see how anyone couldn't find this funny.

Speaking of, where are people finding alternate-paneled comics? I don't know of that many and I'm a pretty big Gurewitch fan.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    syc, this one is pretty good actually. you should really commit yourself to a web comic and see how that's going.
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Banned
    I do not care much for that modified PBF comic. A joke about tricky and dishonest parenting becomes yet another lol child sex abuse gag. Meh.
    It's too improbable, for one. Did the father just have this elaborately constructed tunnel lying around, or did he construct it on the spot? If it's the latter, how could the kid not have known where the tunnel was leading? For two, the third panel is unnecessary--if the punch-line takes two panels to get across, there's a problem, which Gurewitch seems to be half-aware of by making it half-size. That might help with the momentum of the delivery, but the scene depicted in the panel is too specific, basically ruining the reveal. Also, why does the kid have a backpack on?

Classic PBF strips are notable for their dark, dark punch-lines that might be shocking if they weren't so tragically logical. I'm thinking of this, this, and the one number8 posted, in particular. The modified strip is closer to that sort of humor, which is why I like it better.

Quote Quoting trotchky (view post)
    It's too improbable, for one. Did the father just have this elaborately constructed tunnel lying around, or did he construct it on the spot? If it's the latter, how could the kid not have known where the tunnel was leading? For two, the third panel is unnecessary--if the punch-line takes two panels to get across, there's a problem, which Gurewitch seems to be half-aware of by making it half-size. That might help with the momentum of the delivery, but the scene depicted in the panel is too specific, basically ruining the reveal. Also, why does the kid have a backpack on?
    this is such a silly critique. these are quibbles at best. improbability in a pbf comic is it's bread and butter

and i don't actually prefer the remix to the original, just thought i'd post it since i imagine most haven't seen it

Banned
    Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    this is such a silly critique. these are quibbles at best. improbability in a pbf comic is it's bread and butter

and i don't actually prefer the remix to the original, just thought i'd post it since i imagine most haven't seen it
    Well, I was trying to dissect the comic to more precisely explain why it didn't work for me. When you're dealing with a 3-4 panel strip, any in-depth analysis is going to seem at least somewhat silly or quibbling. I guess I could have just said "it sucks" and left it at that.

well i just find that using improbability as a critique in a pbf strip is silly. you can apply that same sort of reasoning to almost all of his strips

if it's not your cup of tea, that's fine

Banned
    "Improbable" was poor word choice, yeah. Maybe "lack of internal consistency" would be a better criticism.

Banned
    Also, what I like about the edit is that it's very direct, very blunt, and coldly real. For example, I find this PBF strip about a dad fucking with his son several measures funnier than Cave Explorer. I like my gags fast and mean, I guess.

like trotchky, i also find the "remake" funnier. however, it only makes sense because of the original. it'll be just kinda weird, pointless and mean without that.

This might be one of the more offensive webcomics I've encountered. An example:

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Offensive? Yes. Funny? Not even close.

Upon further reading, it looks like they're all just variations of the same 3 offensive jokes. That's kind of disturbing.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting lovejuice (view post)
    syc, this one is pretty good actually. you should really commit yourself to a web comic and see how that's going.
    Oh, hey, thanks, lovejuice! I'm ending my daily blog writing/drawing in about two months, and from there I may well see if I can start up a webcomic. I've had a really difficult time finding my hook, though.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Offensive? Yes. Funny? Not even close.
    Yeah. Offensive just for the sake of being offensive. Hate this kind of stuff.

Yeah. Offensive just for the sake of being offensive. Hate this kind of stuff.
    Agreed. Utterly stupid.

Red Meat does that kind of gag except funny.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

They've cribbed the style, but not the wit:

Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Spinal got to it before I could. But yes, I love Red Meat, and I'm fairly sure that knock off is just trying to be Red Meat.

I've been wanting to do a comic with stridently simple lines (mostly just pared-down faces and only slightly expressive eyes) about a man who gets sent to Hell and strikes up an acquaintance with a very blase caveman (one of many in Hell, unfortunately).
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

"All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

the new xkcd freaks me out.

actually, the alt-text is much better, so you have to go to the link and read it for yourself.
    [
    ]

Quote Quoting lovejuice (view post)
    the new xkcd freaks me out.
    Yeah, it's like when I think how people eligible to vote now were born after my country (Yugoslavia) broke apart. They don't know it, they're oblivious to the war that followed the breakup, and grew up during the biggest economic crisis and western-imposed isolation and later bombing.

It's not so much about how old I am as it is about whole generations completely screwed up.

a friend of mine recently introduced me to "hark, a vagrant", which i am loving so far

http://www.harkavagrant.com/

Poe's expression at the end of that second one is too funny.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Axe Cop. Wow, I think this is the best web comic I've ever seen.

http://axecop.com/index.php/acepisodes/read/episode_1/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123