Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Thread: Match Cut's Movies to See Before You Die (or Get a Girlfriend)

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    MY FAVORITE FILMS ARE BETTER THAN YOUR FAVORITE FILMS SPINAL GAVE LARS AND THE REAL GIRL FOUR STARS WHO CARES IF HE THINKS BRESSON IS RISIBLE MATCH-CUT IS FULL OF FANBOYS BABY DOLL WILL ADD ANOTHER THIRTY PAGES TO THIS THREAD SO WILL ISRAFEL I WONT POST FOR ANOTHER WEEK AND WHEN I DO IT'LL BE THREE LINES ON A MOVIE NO ONE WILL EVER SEE WINSTON* WILL MAKE A SNARKY ONE LINE POST AND MADMAN WILL REP HIM FOR IT AND THIS WILL HAPPEN AGAIN AND AGAIN FOR ANOTHER TEN YEARS OR SO ETC ETC ETC
    Epic win.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Regarding The Big Lebowski, I think it's one of those films that tends to be the apathetically-selected token comfort food film for every list. I admit that I looked at mine in the process of making it and thought, "Wow, this is one boring-ass, artfaggy collection of titles. Better chuck something fun on there... maybe Lebowski, I guess?" And then everyone did the same, and thought it'd be OK, but little did we all know that we'd elevated a perfectly amiable and funky entertainment to the status of ONE OF THE TEN GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME.
    Nope. It's one of the greatest films I've ever seen. Totally deserves to be in a top 10.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Nope. It's one of the greatest films I've ever seen. Totally deserves to be in a top 10.
    No it doesn't, stop lying to yourself.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    No it doesn't, stop lying to yourself.
    If it was Russian you'd love it.

If it was Russian you'd love it.
    True story.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

True story.
    And if it were Asian I'd totally love it even more.

"Big Lebowski in the 36th Chamber"

And if it were Asian I'd totally love it even more.

"Big Lebowski in the 36th Chamber"
    Have you had a chance to check out Juliet of the Spirits (Fellini) or Now and Then, Here and There? In turn I shall check out Touch of Zen, as I have been meaning to for some time.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Does not read Sutter Cane The Mike's Avatar
    Kinda sad I wasn't as cool as those who listed Slither. If nothing else, it's far better than Eternal Sunshine.
    The Mike

It's very very horrible, sir. It's one of those things we wish we could disinvent.

From Midnight, With Love - My Midnight Movie Blog of Justice!

Quote Quoting The Mike (view post)
    Kinda sad I wasn't as cool as those who listed Slither. If nothing else, it's far better than Eternal Sunshine.
    This may well be the wrongest statement ever uttered by anyone ever. That takes some doing.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting The Mike (view post)
    Oh, for sure.

Have you had a chance to check out Juliet of the Spirits (Fellini) or Now and Then, Here and There? In turn I shall check out Touch of Zen, as I have been meaning to for some time.
    I haven't, yet. Haven't had the time to watch much of anything lately.

My main problem with Mulholland Drive (and granted I still think it's a very good, if not great, film) stems all the way back to when it was first produced. It was originally meant to be a TV series and I think, in the first half of the film especially, you can see how characters are introduced to return in later episodes of the series, ala "Twin Peaks." These disparate strands that is later wrapped up as a movie in total, mares the film for me a bit. I've long thought Lynch should have pitched it as a series to HBO or Showtime (but not really ABC as it was originally) in order to keep the R-rated content in tact and to have more creative control to just go buck wild with the material. That would have been awesome.

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    My main problem with Mulholland Drive (and granted I still think it's a very good, if not great, film) stems all the way back to when it was first produced. It was originally meant to be a TV series and I think, in the first half of the film especially, you can see how characters are introduced to return in later episodes of the series, ala "Twin Peaks." These desperate strands that is later wrapped up as a movie in total, mares the film for me a bit. I've long thought Lynch should have pitched it as a series to HBO or Showtime (but not really ABC as it was originally) in order to keep the R-rated content in tact and to have more creative control to just go buck wild with the material. That would have been awesome.
    Film is compromise, the friction between what you picture in your head and what can actually be achieved the day you step behind the camera. Mulholland Dr. is merely an extreme example of this. The fact that Lynch managed to reappropriate a work and incorporate it into a cohesive, beautifully textured, wholly realized movie is almost a miracle. But you know what, when I watch MD, I never think for even a second about its production history and neither should you. Judge the film, not how it got made. I mean, do you dislike the "duel" in Raiders of the Lost Ark because Speilberg never intended to shoot it that way in the first place, and it was only a case of the shits that brought it about?
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Film is compromise, the friction between what you picture in your head and what can actually be achieved the day you step behind the camera. Mulholland Dr. is merely an extreme example of this. The fact that Lynch managed to reappropriate a work and incorporate it into a cohesive, beautifully textured, wholly realized movie is almost a miracle. But you know what, when I watch MD, I never think for even a second about its production history and neither should you. Judge the film, not how it got made. I mean, do you dislike the "duel" in Raiders of the Lost Ark because Speilberg never intended to shoot it that way in the first place, and it was only a case of the shits that brought it about?
    Oh, come on. You can't even make a comparison to ONE SCENE in Raiders to an entire production that was originally meant to be a TV series, and may have been scrapped if the French didn't come in to rescue it for a full length film. I agree that behind the scenes deal making and what not shouldn't really be in place for judging a film, but in this case, I am judging WHAT IS ON SCREEN since WHAT IS ON SCREEN introduces various characters that are clearly meant to be developed more (the irony deficient cowboy dude being the next Log Lady, etc.) As it stands, it is still a very good movie but it's like saying the pilot to "Twin Peaks" (with the rather lame tacked on ending with the "Bob" character being just some random hobo that would have run if the series wasn't picked up) is better than the series in total, which is patently absurd.

As it stands, it is still a very good movie but it's like saying the pilot to "Twin Peaks" (with the rather lame tacked on ending with the "Bob" character being just some random hobo that would have run if the series wasn't picked up) is better than the series in total, which is patently absurd.
    Actually, it's not like that at all since there is no complete Mulholland Dr. series to compare the film to. You are essentially saying that calling Mulholland Dr. the film great is patently absurd because clearly the series, which does not exist and never will, would have been better. That, as Spinal would say, is risible.

....but in this case, I am judging WHAT IS ON SCREEN since WHAT IS ON SCREEN introduces various characters that are clearly meant to be developed more (the irony deficient cowboy dude being the next Log Lady, etc.) .
    So, in fact, you are relating it to the production history, because the film itself clearly positions all these little side character as the fever dream product of a mind addled by the Hollywood dream and exposure to typical Hollywood product and cliches, and thus are totally self-explanatory within the context of the film itself.

If you are unable to forget the gossip behind the making of and concentrate on what the film actually does or does not do, that's your fault, not the film's.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Actually, it's not like that at all since there is no complete Mulholland Dr. series to compare the film to. You are essentially saying that calling Mulholland Dr. the film great is patently absurd because clearly the series, which does not exist and never will, would have been better. That, as Spinal would say, is risible.
    Thank you for saving me the effort.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I still like the idea of Lynch doing a HBO TV Show.

Although some people would say Carnivale did it for him.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

So I didn't get my list in in time before the #1 was announced. Procrastination wins again :P

Is the entire list going to be eventually posted? This idea was awesome, btw. I wonder how the list would possibly change in 5 years, or even 10.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

The fragmented nature of MD's narrative and character arcs only adds to its dream-logic. Like the comedy of blunders with the thug in the run down office. Sure, he was probably supposed to be developed more in the proposed series, but his scene in the film adds an moment of absurdity and comedy to the film's darker atmosphere. And I like how it's just a little vignette that could really stand alone. It feels like a dream-break within a larger dream-narrative.

No, I actually didn't say that. Read my post. I was talking about "Twin Peaks" there. Basically saying: "Twin Peaks" (series) >>>>>>>> Twin Peaks (TV movie with tacked on ending)

No, I actually didn't say that. Read my post. I was talking about "Twin Peaks" there. Basically saying: "Twin Peaks" (series) >>>>>>>> Twin Peaks (TV movie with tacked on ending)
    Yes, in relation to the film Mulholland Dr., the film being discussed. If not, please explain what you meant by this:

Quote Quoting Pop Trash
    As it stands, [Mulholland Dr.] is still a very good movie but it's like saying the pilot to "Twin Peaks" (with the rather lame tacked on ending with the "Bob" character being just some random hobo that would have run if the series wasn't picked up) is better than the series in total
    What is the it in question referring to if not Mulholland Dr./non-existent Mulholland Dr. series?

The Ceremony (Oshima, 1971) 92

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    It's the tits. Watched it on Friday and again today (it gets better) - a remarkably complex, subtle, strange, tragic condemnation of modern Japan. It's the culmination, both visually and thematically, of everything Oshima's has tackled before, but it's scope is broader and his style perfectly honed and restrained. I knew he had a masterpiece in him, but this exceeded all expectations. Best film I've seen in a long time.

It's the tits. Watched it on Friday and again today (it gets better) - a remarkably complex, subtle, strange, tragic condemnation of modern Japan. It's the culmination, both visually and thematically, of everything Oshima's has tackled before, but it's scope is broader and his style perfectly honed and restrained. I knew he had a masterpiece in him, but this exceeded all expectations. Best film I've seen in a long time.
    Intriguing. I'll have to look into it.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast