Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1312

Thread: Watchmen

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I've read that Moore donates his DC-related royalties and residuals to his collaborators, not that he renounced what he's legitimately owed. I mean, that would be cutting DC a huge break and saving them money.

Meanwhile, Dave Gibbons has no problem taking the cash and having his name in the credits, which is weird and shitty.
    Yeah, it's not like he's giving the money to DC. The whole point is that he hates DC hahah. But yeah, you're right to correct me, it's not like he's giving away the creative rights, he just donated his money to the artist and demands his name off the film.

As for Gibbons, I don't know, man. How many people know who Dave Gibbons is outside of hardcore comic-book nerds? These are real people, maybe with children, hospital bills to pay and so forth. If your collaborator is taking this whole moral stand and handing over money to you to take care of those things, how long would you refuse?
    Last edited by Grouchy; 10-30-2019 at 03:25 AM.

What makes the comic so good is that everybody has a slightly different interpretation of it. Even that reddit thread had a couple of fresh insights here and there. It amazes & delights me that people are still able to do that after 30 years of talking about it.

Rorschach is a slippery because he's more layered than, say, Lori or Nite Owl. But if Moore intended the character as a critique of Batman, as he claims in the quote linked above, then I think he failed completely.
    Agreed completely. As you probably already know, these characters were originally from Charlton Comics which had been a recent purchase by DC. When Moore's creative process led him to write definitive endings and personality traits DC (editor Dick Giordano to be precise) urged him to write new characters based on them, partly so he could take it even further but also (of course) to milk them for an indefinite period of time. So Roscharch is actually based on The Question, a Steve Ditko character who was a hothead reporter who killed bad guys who fleed the system's justice. It has some elements of another Ditko character called Mr. A as well. I think Moore meant that he intended his character to be a critique of vigilantes in general, and the biggest archetype for that is Batman. But there's a huge social gap between Roscharch and Bruce Wayne which I think is relevant when taking these things into consideration.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 10-30-2019 at 03:23 AM.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    As for Gibbons, I don't know, man. How many people know who Dave Gibbons is outside of hardcore comic-book nerds? These are real people, maybe with children, hospital bills to pay and so forth. If your collaborator is taking this whole moral stand and handing over money to you to take care of those things, how long would you refuse?
    I couldn't blame him for taking the money --- quietly. But the credits on the new show make it appear as if Gibbons is the creator, which is a little fucked. Plus, I think it's shitty that he went back and did additional work to help promote Snyder's movie and made positive remarks about the film to the press.

The thing that amazes me about Moore is that, at this point, we're talking about millions of dollars. It's rare for anyone to have that level of artistic integrity (or rage, haha). Maybe the only other guy in a similar position is Bill Watterson, with "Calvin and Hobbes."

Agreed completely. As you probably already know, these characters were originally from Charlton Comics which had been a recent purchase by DC. When Moore's creative process led him to write definitive endings and personality traits DC (editor Dick Giordano to be precise) urged him to write new characters based on them, partly so he could take it even further but also (of course) to milk them for an indefinite period of time. So Roscharch is actually based on The Question, a Steve Ditko character who was a hothead reporter who killed bad guys who fleed the system's justice. It has some elements of another Ditko character called Mr. A as well. I think Moore meant that he intended his character to be a critique of vigilantes in general, and the biggest archetype for that is Batman. But there's a huge social gap between Roscharch and Bruce Wayne which I think is relevant when taking these things into consideration.
    Gah! That's right!!! I'd forgotten about The Question. Oh man, I remember watching "Justice League Unlimited" when it aired and thinking about that weird little wrinkle in the character's meta-history. Your point about the social gap between Rors and Wayne is excellent and something I never considered!

Giordano exploiting the characters -- or wanting to -- is what bugs me about the new show. They've ripped the characters and context out of Moore's comic and plugged them into a fairly standard cops-and-robbers dystopia. Everything plays like it's just another piece of intellectual property meant to be squeezed.
    Last edited by Irish; 10-30-2019 at 03:57 AM.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    What makes the comic so good is that everybody has a slightly different interpretation of it. Even that reddit thread had a couple of fresh insights here and there. It amazes & delights me that people are still able to do that after 30 years of talking about it.

Rorschach is a slippery because he's more layered than, say, Lori or Nite Owl. But if Moore intended the character as a critique of Batman, as he claims in the quote linked above, then I think he failed completely.
    This makes me want to go back and re-read. I didn't hear about Watchmen until the movie, but after I read it, I couldn't believe I had never heard of it before.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Meanwhile, Dave Gibbons has no problem taking the cash and having his name in the credits, which is weird and shitty.

Plus, I think it's shitty that he went back and did additional work to help promote Snyder's movie and made positive remarks about the film to the press.
    Why is this weird? Why is this shitty? :\

- - - - -
    Why is this weird? Why is this shitty? :\
    Because why would you want to help a company that totally fucked you over?

Why promote a company that actively undermines the best work you've ever done, turns it into a parody of itself, and reduces it to just another exploitable IP?

Gibbons should be embarrassed. Not just because of his lack of solidarity with Moore and other writers and artists. But because he helped create one of the best novels of the 20th century and it is now owned by a phone company.

And he's totally cool with that, apparently, as long as someone keeps cutting checks.

Hey Irish, if you were a Watchmen, you’d be called WHORE-Schach.

Because why would you want to help a company that totally fucked you over?

Why promote a company that actively undermines the best work you've ever done, turns it into a parody of itself, and reduces it to just another exploitable IP?

Gibbons should be embarrassed. Not just because of his lack of solidarity with Moore and other writers and artists. But because he helped create one of the best novels of the 20th century and it is now owned by a phone company.

And he's totally cool with that, apparently, as long as someone keeps cutting checks.
    I dunno, but that all seems like it's his business and not ours. Why wouldn't he want his name credited on the films? Just because Moore holds himself to a certain standard doesn't mean that Gibbons has to, nor should he be expected to. In fact, I personally think it's a little obnoxious of Moore to insist he not be credited as the original creator in these adaptations, but I wouldn't say it makes him shitty or anything.

And if Gibbons wants to promote the film, what's the harm in that? Maybe he liked it? After all, it was incredibly faithful to the source material. And again, why does it matter either way? What business it is of anyone else's if he chooses to promote it or not? How does this in any way make him shitty? Who is he hurting in doing this that would make it a shitty move on his end? I mean, unless I'm missing something here...

- - - - -
    If I punched you in the face and stole your wallet, but then offered to buy you lunch with your money ... would you thank me?

Seems like you'd be the shitty one in that situation, not me. *shrug*

- - - - -
    Seems like you'd be the shitty one in that situation, not me. *shrug*
    Right, but if you accepted the lunch invite, would you be surprised at anyone who thought you spineless?

Because that's more or less what Gibbons did.

Worse, he not only went to out to lunch, he turned up at DC's house and offered to mow their lawn.

And then he proudly told people about it.

Whatever, Whore-Schach.

Right, but if you accepted the lunch invite, would you be surprised at anyone who thought you spineless?

Because that's more or less what Gibbons did.

Worse, he not only went to out to lunch, he turned up at DC's house and offered to mow their lawn.

And then he proudly told people about it.
    I dunno, maybe it's because I've been a wrestling fan my whole life, so I've seen guys get completely screwed over by companies, only for them to mend fences and work together again years later, so I'm pretty used to seeing this sorta thing happen all the time anyways, but I don't see it as that big a deal. Maybe he did get screwed over. And maybe years later they got back together and found a way to make things right in order to work together again. I don't know the full story. But based on what I do know, I'm not about to say the guy's shitty for doing any of the things you've claimed he did at least.

Moore just comes across like an angry ex who won’t move on despite both parties achieving great success after the relationship ended.

- - - - -
    I don't know the full story. But based on what I do know, I'm not about to say the guy's shitty for doing any of the things you've claimed he did at least.
    I'm not claiming anything. This is all a matter of public record.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Moore just comes across like an angry ex who won’t move on despite both parties achieving great success after the relationship ended.
    He does, but then it's been 30 years and people are still asking him about this shit. I imagine that would quickly get annoying.

I'm not claiming anything. This is all a matter of public record.
    I think you and I both know that the point of my post wasn’t to accuse you of making shit up.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Well, that's your take. To me he comes across as a person who has turned his back on millions of dollars for the sake of his artistic integrity. Who else does that? I can only think of Dave Chappelle but on that case he refused future work, he didn't refuse to cash in work he had already done and that was being hailed as a masterpiece of literature.

As for Gibbons, well, the thing is that Moore's feud with DC has so many branches. I just read through the whole thing again and I'm going to try to make it short. There's the original feud, which is that Moore managed a clause on the contract that stated that if DC did nothing new with those characters within a year the rights would revert back to him. When Watchmen became unexpectedly successful and began to be read in circles outside comic-books, DC insisted the letter of the contract implied that they could simply go on reprinting the same issues in book form and retain the rights, which they did, year after year - remember, trade paperbacks and graphic novels were a novelty at the time. So Moore broke ties with DC and vowed not to work for them ever again.

That's just the start. Moore created his own imprint, America's Best Comics, which was published by Wildstorm. But at one point DC bought Wildstorm, so Moore found himself working for DC again despite his vows hahah. To add insult to injury, he was in the middle of writing League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and then-editor at DC Paul Levitz ordered a whole batch of issue #5 pulped and edited because it had an advertisement for a fictional XIXth century brand of Marvel "douche", which they for some reason thought was a joke at the expense of the competition. He also refused to print an issue of Tomorrow Stories that dealt with Scientology in an unflattering manner. So Moore had left DC to go independent and do his own thing and, though no fault of his own, his work was being intervened by DC editorial.

So far this has nothing to do with movies. But then the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film came out (without Moore's creative involvement, but at this point, he's still getting paid for his writing and credited on screen) and Larry Cohen sued Warner Brothers because he thought the screenplay was a rip-off of an unproduced one he had done called Cast of Characters. Moore was summoned to court and spent what was apparently ten hours defending the originality of his work for the sake of a movie he didn't even like. Around the same time the V for Vendetta film got greenlit and its producer, Joel Silver, told the media Moore was "thrilled" with the script. Since Moore hadn't read the script and wasn't thrilled at anything by this point he made the controversial call to refuse credit in the subsequent film adaptations and donate the money to the artist/collaborator, and stood by his word when Snyder did Watchmen. I remember a funny old news bit where Snyder had tweeted something to the effect of "I just hope Alan Moore eventually watches this film in his house in London and likes the adaptation", to which Moore replied "I live in Northampton".

Gibbons probably doesn't have all that baggage. They pay him money, he draws. Or maybe he is taking advantage of the situation. Who the hell knows but I hope you all enjoyed the sad story.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 10-30-2019 at 11:42 PM.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Well, that's your take. To me he comes across as a person who has turned his back on millions of dollars for the sake of his artistic integrity. Who else does that? I can only think of Dave Chappelle but on that case he refused future work, he didn't refuse to cash in work he had already done and that was being hailed as a masterpiece of literature.
    Kurt Cobain?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

We've had this conversation before, and it usually ends with us debating exactly the dollar amount allowed before being considered an artistic sell-out.

I'm of the opinion its when you're making a living off your art. (Which all of the above mentioned people did.) So, whats the big deal about cashing on a movie based on your comic? You can still shit on it all day long, they don't require your approval, and you can bankroll more of your future artistic endeavors. Or give it to charity. Or start a foundation for younger artists.

- - - - -
    I think you and I both know that the point of my post wasn’t to accuse you of making shit up.
    Then why use the word claimed? I'm not clear on what we're both supposed to know here.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Kurt Cobain?
    And Bill Watterson, who refused to allow the newspaper syndicates to license out "Calvin and Hobbes."

Also, the estates of artists such as Pablo Picasso and Jean-Michel Basquiat, who refused to license their art for Hollywood biopics. The movies were made, but watch them and you won't see one frame that includes original paintings by these 2 men.

Also! Also! Maybe Edgar Wright and Lucrecia Martel, both of whom walked away from Marvel gigs and very big paychecks.

More recently, most of the editors and writers at Deadspin.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    So, whats the big deal about cashing on a movie based on your comic?
    As I said originally, I can't really blame anybody too much for taking the money. We're talking about millions of dollars.

But then there's also a line and Gibbsons enthusiastically sprinted right past it:

[]

I think that's shitty, because these credits flash by every episode and it makes Gibbons look as if he were the sole or main contributor.

ETA: Also I gotta point out this shit, which is darkly funny. Anybody want a Rorscach Lego-brand minifig? How about a Funko Pop Dr. Manhattan doll? https://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Toys...=Watchmen+Toys
    Last edited by Irish; 10-31-2019 at 04:14 AM.

Also, the estates of artists such as Pablo Picasso and Jean-Michel Basquiat, who refused to license their art for Hollywood biopics. The movies were made, but watch them and you won't see one frame that includes original paintings by these 2 men.
    Wow, I didn't know that. I've seen neither movie.

Quote Quoting Irish
    Also! Also! Maybe Edgar Wright and Lucrecia Martel, both of whom walked away from Marvel gigs and very big paychecks.
    Yeah, but that's different - they just couldn't work out the artistic differences to produce the work. In Moore's case, he's not collecting money for work he did decades ago and that's more popular now than it's ever been. Also, I read a recent interview with Martel and she says she was interviewed for the job along with a huge batch of other women directors. She just found it weird that she wasn't allowed to direct the action scenes.

Quote Quoting Irish
    ETA: Also I gotta point out this shit, which is darkly funny. Anybody want a Rorscach Lego-brand minifig? How about a Funko Pop Dr. Manhattan doll? https://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Toys...=Watchmen+Toys
    I bet that's the shit Moore hates the most.

Anyway, you guys made me realize I never read Before Watchmen. I'm going to do that right now, without paying DC for the trouble.

- - - - -
    Yeah, but that's different - they just couldn't work out the artistic differences to produce the work. In Moore's case, he's not collecting money for work he did decades ago and that's more popular now than it's ever been. Also, I read a recent interview with Martel and she says she was interviewed for the job along with a huge batch of other women directors. She just found it weird that she wasn't allowed to direct the action scenes.
    It's different, sure, but I was trying to think of people who have demonstrated a measure of professional or artistic integrity.

Like, I don't think Wright walked away because he quibbled with Feige over the color of Ant-Man's costume. "Creative differences" covers a lot of ground, and usually it's a euphemism for deeper issues. My suspicion is he left the project because they wouldn't let him make the movie he wanted to make. That takes a measure of courage, because he very easily coulda toed the line (like Whedon did) and cashed the check.

I bet that's the shit Moore hates the most.
    I think it's hilarious because the comic explicitly calls out merchandising as being vapid and soulless.

I think that's shitty, because these credits flash by every episode and it makes Gibbons look as if he were the sole or main contributor.
    The only people that think that still insist M. Night directed that Devil movie, and that Quentin directed Hostel and From Dusk Till Dawn. Who cares what the dummies think? A co-creator credit is accurate, and consulting producer could be they a had a couple sit down chats, big deal.

- - - - -
    Who cares what the dummies think?
    I do, because I care about Moore and his work and I care about the wider culture. It matters to me whether people know the names of writers and artists.

You can say, well, it's Alan Fucking Moore. He's too important to disappear. Yeah, maybe, but tell that to Bob Finger (or, actually, anybody that "co-created" anything with Stan Lee).

A co-creator credit is accurate, and consulting producer could be they a had a couple sit down chats, big deal.
    The credit might be accurate but that doesn't mean it's right.

The only people that think that still insist M. Night directed that Devil movie, and that Quentin directed Hostel and From Dusk Till Dawn. Who cares what the dummies think? A co-creator credit is accurate, and consulting producer could be they a had a couple sit down chats, big deal.
    Agreed. I see nothing even remotely shitty here at all.

Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast