Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Watchmen

As good a piece of news as that is, I'm just pissed the fuck off that they're even thinking of making this movie.

That's fucking stupid.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

"All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    That's fucking stupid.
    Yeah.... it is.

how so?

other than "oh it's the watchmen, it shouldn't be made"

well it's being made, and i'm glad that it seems like Zach Snyder really wants to try to do it justice (operative word: try). i mean even if it is a spectacular failure, as most of you seem to have pre-determined it will be, at least they have decided to adapt all the aspects of the novel rather than half-assing it.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    how so?

other than "oh it's the watchmen, it shouldn't be made"

well it's being made, and i'm glad that it seems like Zach Snyder really wants to try to do it justice (operative word: try). i mean even if it is a spectacular failure, as most of you seem to have pre-determined it will be, at least they have decided to adapt all the aspects of the novel rather than half-assing it.
    How does taking making the story-within-the-story of the original book into its own feature really add anything? It is solely, as the article suggests, a marketing ploy designed to make money. That's fine for them, but I don't really care.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Yeah, I don't take this as good news, for the reasons Raiders describes.

I don't know whether it will be feature-length or not, but either way, the story would have to be padded out quite a bit, I would think. And I don't really trust that to go over well at all.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    How does taking making the story-within-the-story of the original book into its own feature really add anything? It is solely, as the article suggests, a marketing ploy designed to make money. That's fine for them, but I don't really care.
    and then an “ultimate” edition in which the two are edited together into one megamovie.
    yes, it is a marketing ploy, but to say it's solely a marketing ploy is to hold a slightly cynical viewpoint. watchmen isn't a big property on the level of spider-man and batman.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I see. I missed that in the article. So what I'm getting in the theater will excise all that material? I guess I'll just wait for the DVD then.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Yeah, on second thought, if Tales of the Black Freighter is not inserted into the main narrative, it makes zero sense to have it there at all. It's not like it's an EXCELLENT pirate tale. It's a pulp metaphor that paralells the storyline.

That's the thing. Tales of the Black Freighter and Under the Hood, by themselves, are useless. It's a fucking stupid idea to watch them separately. They're parallel stories, for god's sake. That's the whole point and intent of Black Freighter, to mirror what's happening with the Crimebusters and provide a raw survivalist and savage context to them surviving the political crisis. Either throw that out completely or edit them together to make the argument. People are supposed to watch Watchmen and then 5 days later buy an anime on DVD that vaguely mirrors certain scenes from a movie they saw in theaters days ago? What the hell is the point?
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Wrote something rather lengthy about this. Apparently I'm more passionate about this project than I really care to be. *sigh*
    Movie Theater Diary

Wrote something rather lengthy about this. Apparently I'm more passionate about this project than I really care to be. *sigh*
    I sympathize. I feel the same way every time I get on the topic of Star Wars.

So, saw the trailer before TDK.

Eeeh. The visuals look impressive, but it's still using that fast-motion-slow-motion editing shit that I can't fucking stand. And they keep hiding Dr. Manhattan's dick in a dark shadow that just appears on his crotch for no reason. Lame.
    Movie Theater Diary

Eeeh. The visuals look impressive, but it's still using that fast-motion-slow-motion editing shit that I can't fucking stand. And they keep hiding Dr. Manhattan's dick in a dark shadow that just appears on his crotch for no reason. Lame.

Did they also show the Terminator: Salvation trailer?

I'm actually more interested in that than Watchmen.

No, because I saw it on IMAX, so only IMAX trailers. This and Harry Potter.
    Movie Theater Diary

I'd highly doubt they show Doc's dick in a trailer.

I just reread Watchmen yesterday, and I'm pretty pumped if nothing except a good performance out of Jackie Earle Haley.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I'd highly doubt they show Doc's dick in a trailer.

I just reread Watchmen yesterday, and I'm pretty pumped if nothing except a good performance out of Jackie Earle Haley.
    Duh! I didn't even think of that. Maybe they'l show it in the movie, but the way it looks in the trailer was ridiculous. His crotch is just dark when the rest of him is bright blue.

Jackie Earle Haley sounded like he was trying to imitate Bale's Batman voice.
    Movie Theater Diary

Harry Potter.
    Was this just the blank screen, line of dialogue, and title I read about, or an actual teaser?

Quote Quoting Silencio (view post)
    Was this just the blank screen, line of dialogue, and title I read about, or an actual teaser?
    Just the blank screen and title. Everyone laughed at how pointless it was.
    Movie Theater Diary

Fast-motion-slow-motion editing shit that I can't fucking stand.
    Agreed that style is truly awful. I don't mind regular motion to slow motion and back to regular that much.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Any word on what this will be rated?

The comic book would be an R, and they managed to do great business with 300 despite its R rating.

I would hope they wouldn't cower under the almighty PG-13.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Any word on what this will be rated?

The comic book would be an R, and they managed to do great business with 300 despite its R rating.

I would hope they wouldn't cower under the almighty PG-13.
    Snyder has said it will be rated R and close to 3 hours in length.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Snyder has said it will be rated R and close to 3 hours in length.

Oh cool.

Well, I hope it's not just visual flare. I enjoyed 300 as a loud-and-mean piece of popcorn entertainment, but looking at it deeper in any way hurts the brain.

I really don't think this one will do well at all, unless it has a marketing campaign like The Dark Knight. Not enough people know the "Watchmen" book, and I bet the trailers will get a lot of laughs due to the admittedly silly costumes.

So, my mistake. Seeing the trailer a second time, the weird dark spot on his crotch was his speedo. Heh
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast