Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253
Results 1,301 to 1,312 of 1312

Thread: Watchmen

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    The credit might be accurate but that doesn't mean it's right.
    Then place the blame on Moore for refusing to be credited. *shrug*

Gibbons is doing nothing wrong with that.

I think a good conclusion to this whole debate is that some authors are able to navigate the commercial needs of big companies and still do what they want to do and some don't. Grant Morrison entered the American market with Animal Man around the same time as Moore and he never quit working for DC and Marvel, relaunching many of their properties (X-Men, very recently Green Lantern) while publishing his more personal comics on the side. We see this kind of relationship in cinema too - Scorsese doing commercial work to fund his less commercial work.

- - - - -
    Oof, that's an awkward comparison.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    It matters to me whether people know the names of writers and artists.
    BUT MOST PEOPLE DON'T! As I said, people still believe M. Night directed Devil.

I understand why you and I care, because we care about the art. Thats why we desire to learn the names. But theres nothing we can do to make the jo-blos of the world remember, unless they decide they want to. No amount of "proper accreditation" (if thats a term) will fix that. As evidenced by the fact that movies and artists have been around for a fairly long time, and I bet the average schmuck on the sidewalk would struggle to name five Steven Spielberg movies.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    So is the show worth watching? No one is watching it? That speaks volumes to me if true.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Everyone I hear is raving about it. But I don't have HBO.

- - - - -
    I'm sorta hate watching it. Taken on its own, it's fine, I guess? A sci-fantasy with good production values, a great cast, and a story that's culturally relevant because it addresses race in a direct way. Taken in relationship to the source material, it's deeply moronic and not a little superficial.

If you removed the vigilante/ superhero stuff, it'd be a pretty basic cop show with some soap opera elements.

I think a lot of bigger budget genre stuff seriously benefits from timing. It doesn't feel like there's a lot else on at the moment, so "Watchment" sorta gets undue attention because there's literally no competition.

See also: "The Mandalorian."
    Last edited by Irish; 12-05-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I'm a firm believer my "TV"-Series Tiering system.

Attention Trans. Attention Trans. ****Duke hyperbole incoming alert**** ****Duke hyperbole incoming alert****

1. The Wire/Breaking Bad
    2. Game of Thrones
    3. A lot of mediocre shit
    4. crap

There's not much excellent TV available.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    I'd put it roughly on the same tier as "Westworld." Wants to be topical and Raise Serious Important Questions but most of the show is a writer's room circle jerk.

"The Expanse" and "Man in the High Castle" did more interesting shit in their first seasons and probably at about one-third the budget.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I'm a firm believer my "TV"-Series Tiering system.

Attention Trans. Attention Trans. ****Duke hyperbole incoming alert**** ****Duke hyperbole incoming alert****

1. The Wire/Breaking Bad
    2. Game of Thrones
    3. A lot of mediocre shit
    4. crap

There's not much excellent TV available.
    Yeah, that's what repeatedly kills me: Television is still mostly vacuous garbage, but critics and fans go apeshit over the most mediocre, trivial shows.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Life is chaos so I haven't had time for it. All episodes are on my DVR, though.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

- - - - -
    Woof. This ending was almost hilariously bad but I kinda have a soft spot for it too because of the absolute seriousness with which cast & crew attempted what they attempted.

I'm still sorta amazed by how people misinterpret & interpret Moore & Gibbons comic, tho. To an extent I honestly wouldn't have thought possible. It's like Damon failed highschool English Composition & the unit on "reading comprehension."

I enjoyed this a lot. Equal amounts batshit crazy and awesome, always surprising and never dull. Suffers from the usual problems that all Lindeloff shows have but I think it pulled it off in the end better than I could have hoped for. And I liked how it does not really need more time to wrap up, it's perfectly fine as is.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253