Thread: Reappraising Godfather I-II

Reappraising Godfather I-II

Jonathan Rosenbaum has an interesting reappraisal of the first two Godfather films over at his blog. Your thoughts on his thoughts? He's making some pretty bold statements in the essay about how the films evoke a kind of political and moral defeatism.

Ehh I read about half and the last paragraph, pretty stupid stuff. Read some Hume Rosenbaum, you twat.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Not a Rosenbaum fan, I see. OK.

Quote Quoting Dillard (view post)
    Not a Rosenbaum fan, I see. OK.
    Don't know all that much about him, but more so I'm less a fan of articles which seek to establish transient connections between contemporary politics and cinema via misinterpretations of the original work. Misinterpretations founded upon the overgeneralization of the narrative to any given moral system. The article creates a cycle of reductive analysis, quickly followed by questionable political comparisons and finally topped off by reverse condemnation from that hypothesized political element back down to the films themselves.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

/reappraisal in progress

Nope, still awesome.

EDIT: Aww, man, this gif sold me out with a fuckin error message at the end. Oh well, I'm gonna interpret that as saying the films are too good to be played on this pc.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer