Thread: Region-Free DVD Players--

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Region-Free DVD Players--

--recommend me the best, cheapest one. Plz? Kthx.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar

I have the Phillips DVP642, which comes region-free so you don't need to worry about programming it or changing any setting. I got it through Amazon for around $60-70 and it's gone a year and a half without any problems. I've also used DVDs from various regions and it plays everything.

Honestly, I don't know why more people don't own one when it's no more expensive than a regular player.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    I have the Phillips DVP642, which comes region-free so you don't need to worry about programming it or changing any setting. I got it through Amazon for around $60-70 and it's gone a year and a half without any problems. I've also used DVDs from various regions and it plays everything.

Honestly, I don't know why more people don't own one when it's no more expensive than a regular player.
    They don't sell it anymore. All you can do is buy one from an independent seller through Amazon, some of which are used.

That Philips I posted is among the new "multi-region" Phillips players. The hack is simple and harmless. I had to do a hack on my Phillips and it's been over 3 years and it's still humming along just fine.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    They don't sell it anymore. All you can do is buy one from an independent seller through Amazon, some of which are used.

That Philips I posted is among the new "multi-region" Phillips players. The hack is simple and harmless. I had to do a hack on my Phillips and it's been over 3 years and it's still humming along just fine.
    Oh ok, then that's the way to go. I had to do a code for my first region-free player and it wasn't a big deal, but I figured it's better to avoid a possible hassle if possible.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    They've barely sold the region-coded DVD players around here for years, I think. They all seem to be region free.

Another voice supporting this plan.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (NoƩ, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I bought this DVD player from hkflix.com on Dan Davis's recommendation.

Oppo Digital DV-980H

Yes, the Phillips DVD player line is the best for hacking an inexpensive player.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    I bought this DVD player from hkflix.com on Dan Davis's recommendation.

Oppo Digital DV-980H
    This is a great machine. You will be very pleased.

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    that's too what i do. very amazing.

If you want to be extra thrifty, you can buy this one. This unit has an HDMI plug-in as well. A hack can be found on the site listed above.

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    If you want to be extra thrifty, you can buy this one. This unit has an HDMI plug-in as well. A hack can be found on the site listed above.
    Does an upscaling DVD player play HD-DVDs, both HD and Blu-Ray? And if so, why are they so much cheaper than an actual HD DVD player? Is the difference in visual quality that much different?

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Does an upscaling DVD player play HD-DVDs, both HD and Blu-Ray? And if so, why are they so much cheaper than an actual HD DVD player? Is the difference in visual quality that much different?
    A standard upscaling DVD player can only play regular DVDs (not HD and Blu-Ray). If they have the HDMI output, they transmit an HD signal from your regular DVDs that supposedly comes closer to an HD picture than a regular DVD player would. I have the DVD player that I linked, but I haven't bought the HDMI cable for it yet, so I can't say how close it comes to actual HD quality. From the Amazon reviews, the HDMI picture is supposedly great. I guess you could pay $300-$500 for an HD-DVD player plus $30-$40 per HD disc for the real thing. I think I'll stick with a $40 DVD player plus no additional DVD costs for something that comes pretty close.

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    A standard upscaling DVD player can only play regular DVDs (not HD and Blu-Ray). If they have the HDMI output, they transmit an HD signal from your regular DVDs that supposedly comes close to an HD picture. I have the DVD player that I linked, but I haven't bought the HDMI cable for it yet, so I can't say how close it comes to actual HD quality. From the Amazon reviews, the HDMI picture is supposedly great. I guess you could pay $300-$500 for an HD-DVD player plus $30-$40 per HD disc for the real thing. I think I'll stick with a $40 DVD player plus no additional DVD costs for something that comes really close.
    Absolutely. That's even better news. I'm definitely getting one for Christmas. Thanks.

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar
    I'm thinking of getting the Philips DVP5900/37. Has anyone here used this model for PAL DVDs?

Quote Quoting Clipper Ship Captain (view post)
    I'm thinking of getting the Philips DVP5900/37. Has anyone here used this model for PAL DVDs?
    I don't think any of mine have been that particular Philips model, but every Philips DVD player I have used as a hacked region-free player has worked perfectly.