Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Akira (Taika Waititi??)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Akira (Taika Waititi??)

I was just watching Adult Swim and they said that they are making Akira into a live action movie and Leo is Kaneda. Crazy.... but i LOVE IT!

This is the only thing I could find after a quick google and it's old news.

http://jalopnik.com/359319/leonardo-...o-remake-akira

I also heard the rumor of Joseph Gordon Leavitt as Tetsuo. That would be fantastic. Unfortunately those two castings are supposedly false rumors.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I also heard the rumor of Joseph Gordon Leavitt as Tetsuo. That would be fantastic. Unfortunately those two castings are supposedly false rumors.
    bah. should have figured coming from adult swim.

Only real thing I've heard is that DiCaprio's production company is the crew making this flick.

Great casting idea for Tetsuo. I'm not saying anyone should ever make this but JGL is a great choice.

dead as a doornail...

What's a doornail btw? A nail in a door? And why is it dead?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quoth Charles Dickens,

Quote Quoting Charles Dickens
    Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it: and Scrooge's name was good upon 'Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was dead as a doornail. Mind I don’t mean to say that I know myself what there is particularly dead about a doornail. I’m more of a mind to regard a coffin nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade. But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile, and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it or the country’s done for. Therefore, permit me to repeat emphatically that Marley was dead.

That's too bad. I was kind of looking forward to seeing how this would pan out.

Agreed. It would've been, at the very least, interesting.

JGL would be good.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    JGL would be perfect.

Repaired.

Ken Leung as Tetsuo.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Children of Men screenwriters are working on the adaptation.

And the studio states that this is still very much a priority, hoping that if all goes well it'll go into production next year and be released in 2011.

They also say this won't be some mid-range budget movie. This will be one of the big, tentpole releases for that year.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I am almost perversely interested in seeing this actually happen.

I am surprisingly ambivalent either way.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    They also say this won't be some mid-range budget movie. This will be one of the big, tentpole releases for that year.
    As far as I'm concerned, 2011 so far is all about this, Lincoln, Batman 3, Spider-Man 4, Thor, Green Lantern, and Crank 3D. Looking like a huge year already if everything escapes preproduction.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Empire
    Akira Next For Hughes Brothers?
    Kaanedaaaaaaa!
    Source: Vulture

A live-action version of Katsuhiro Otomo's seminal manga and anime Akira has been grumbling away in development hell since the early 1990s. Last September saw the first news in a long time emerge, that a new script was being worked on by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby. And now we're hearing from New York Magazine's Vulture that Warners are finalising the paperwork with The Hughes Brothers to direct.

Fergus and Ostby co-wrote the excellent Children of Men (not to mention Iron Man and Cowboys Vs. Aliens) so they've proved they know their way around a dystopia. But The Hughes Brothers are a surprise. Clearly the performance of The Book of Eli has put them in favour at Warners, but nothing on their CV (Menace II Society, Dead Presidents, From Hell) so far has hinted at future projects of the colossal magnitude of Akira.

Leonardo DiCaprio's company Appian Way is part of the production team, along with Andrew Lazar, who's currently wrangling Jonah Hex. Talk is still of two films, each roughly covering three books of the six-volume manga (Otomo's two-hour original film was made before the books had finished, and ends differently), with a budget of at least $300m. We won't even attempt a plot synopsis but the idea last year seemed to be to relocate the story from Neo-Tokyo to a Neo-Manhattan.

If this comes off, it'll be a sci-fi extravaganza up there with Blade Runner and The Matrix and Avatar. If not, two words for you: Johnny Mnemonic. We'll be astonished if it isn't in 3D. And we'll be even more amazed if, as Vulture suggest, part one is released next year. Not a chance. We're saying 2012 at the earliest.
    Owen Williams

[]

The action sequences in Book of Eli were pretty great, and the Hughes Brothers have always had a good eye. I like this if it's true.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Neo Manhattan = NAY

DiCaprio as Kaneda = YAY

I'd watch it... hard.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I want this project to stop.

Morgan Freeman as Colonel???

*starts packing for Hollywood muder spree trip*

news trickling in

Steve Kloves, best known for adapting seven of the eight Harry Potter films for Warner Bros., has been recruited to polish the studio's live-action remake of Japanese manga epic Akira.

Albert Hughes is directing Akira, based on Katsuhiro Otomo's graphic novel set in a post-apocalyptic Japan. Warner acquired the Akira rights three years ago from publisher Kodansha and set it up with Andrew Lazar's Mad Chance with Appian Way's Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson Killoran. Hughes and his brother, Allen Hughes. will also produce.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast