Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mist

I have to ask...the scene I mentioned before, where the enormous "thing" walks over top of them...does it show it, or leave it to the audience to imagine how freaking enormous it is?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

At last... Braugher in a decent film.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I have to ask...the scene I mentioned before, where the enormous "thing" walks over top of them...does it show it, or leave it to the audience to imagine how freaking enormous it is?
    Oooh, ok. Though I wouldn't recommend reading the spoiler, just go see the movie!

[
    ]
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Tell me about it. He was on his game in this. I was embarrassed for him in Silver Surfer.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Tell me about it. He was on his game in this. I was embarrassed for him in Silver Surfer.
    Let's not forget Poseidon.

Actually, on second thought, let's.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

After reading Ebert's review I've come to the conclusion that he's not a fan of horror movies. That's not to say he hasn't praised some of them (I have read his **** review of Dawn of the Dead(1978) but I still can't help but get that feeling especially after his review for The Mist. Or many of those horror films he reviewed actually sucked.....heh.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

It ended up coming out in Ottawa afterall - I couldn't be happier, because this movie kicked my ass.

The Mist

a review by Braden Adam

Every few years there’s a horror movie that comes along and becomes an instant classic. Probably 1 in 5 of those then moves up the ranks once again, to become a horror movie that people will remember for years to come. Fathers and uncles will secretly pass down the recommendation to their sons and nephews, who will sneak off to Blockbuster and rent this old, worn out copy of the movie they were told was “really scary” back in 2007. I know this will happen because it’s how I came across so many of the classic horror films I did as a kid. My uncle and dad would talk about movies with me and discreetly hint (“oh, The Exorcist is on TV - that’s a really scary movie”) different titles I should look for the next time I’m out.

And when looking back at the films that are remembered so fondly, it’s true that fear of the unknown must be our greatest fear, because that’s the theme that unites a lot of these movies. In Robert Wise’s The Haunting, a building sense of dread is created without showing any ghosts or goblins - we are terrified by the idea of what could be there. Similarly, in the still-frightening films of Alfred Hitchcock, it’s the fact that we don’t see tons of blood, guts and gore that scares us so much. So why is it that Frank Darabont has been able to achieve a pitch-perfect blend between subtlety, and “showing the monster”?

It’s funny to be writing all of this after recently having a discussion with some friends about Cloverfield, and the rumors regarding the possibility that the gigantic...um...whatever will never be shown, and whether that is going to work or not. Some say that because the nature of human fear resides so strongly around the unknown and unexplained - therefore making the more minimalist approach of not showing the monster more effective - that it should remain a mystery. Others, however, just want to be shown the monster, and be blown away by a gargantuan beast causing death and destruction. But, again, why is it that Darabont has managed to create a movie that appeals to both the lovers of psychological horror, and of seeing monsters kill and be killed?

Darabont obviously has a knack for storytelling. He knows how to make people mad, how to tug at their heartstrings without feeling preachy or manipulative, and has now shown that he knows how to scare us. With The Mist, a story is being told - in typical Stephen King fashion - within a story. Amidst the world’s end, a “Lord of the Flies” type scenario occurs, as some people go mad and others show incredible compassion. Some seem born to follow in the footsteps of whoever offers the easiest solution, and others feel they must do what they see as being morally right and just. As the monsters on the outside get bigger, so do the monsters on the inside of this microscopic society in a grocery store.

The film contains many signature Stephen King moments - scenes that are so utterly depressing or so morbid and violent that the audience’s reaction may be to laugh. Some people at my showing laughed, yet at the end those very same people walked out saying how much they loved it, and how scared they were. When a film pushes you so far that you don’t know whether to laugh or scream, that’s really saying something. The ending will no doubt be polarizing - perhaps even more so than that of another of this year’s controversial releases, Gone Baby Gone. And that’s not a hyperbolic statement at all...the ending to this film will no doubt cause some to despise the rest of the film. But they’ll never forget it, and so they too will probably end up recommending The Mist to one of their children, exclaiming how “that movie was great, up until the ending.”

If you’re a fan of Stephen King. If you’re a fan of horror movies. If you’re a fan of H. P. Lovecraft. If you just want to see a very good movie that will also scare you silly, do yourself a favor and see The Mist. It’s going to be a classic - you can count on that. And you can be the one telling people in years to come that you saw it in the theatre, and “that’s when they made really scary movies.”

Ugh. March 19th for us Belgians. :sad:
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Great review, Braden. I love your long ones. I'll get to this one as soon as I can.

Morris, that is one hell of a wait. I'm sorry.
    My Mom - 10

Quote Quoting jenniferofthejungle (view post)
    Great review, Braden. I love your long ones. I'll get to this one as soon as I can.

Morris, that is one hell of a wait. I'm sorry.

Thanks, Jen

Once again, I feel like my attempt at creating something a little more in-depth than "this is what the movie was about, and this is why I liked it" failed miserably.

But hey, I guess I'm still experimenting. Glad you liked it

And yeh, Morris, I'm sorry about the wait. Where do you live, anyways? I thought you were in the US.

I am really glad it ended up coming to Ottawa in the end...it really freaked me out when the theatres said they weren't getting it.

Double bill of Glory and Get On the Bus.

Mist was pretty good. Maybe a 3/4 for me.

Cool review Meg. I'm glad you liked it. I can't wait to see this again.

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Double bill of Glory and Get On the Bus.
    Haven't seen Passing Glory, but he was great in Get on the Bus... I was thinking major productions where more people can witness his talent.

I'm seeing this in 30 min. Looking forward to it, haven't seen a movie in theaters since Stardust.

Haven't seen Passing Glory, but he was great in Get on the Bus... I was thinking major productions where more people can witness his talent.
    Glory's not a major production? Denzel? Matthew Broderick?

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Glory's not a major production? Denzel? Matthew Broderick?
    I never said "Glory". I missed it on the IMDB page. I never saw that either.

Fucking amazing film.

Jane better get some recognization for his performance. It was fan-fucking-tastic.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Oh, and fuck the marketers of this film. Fuck them to hell. They show the ENTIRE ending in the recent TV spots. I mean... [
    ]

The marketers of this film should be fired. I was so angry that I knew how the film would turn out.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Guess I should check this out then.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E
    Guess I should check this out then.
    Yes, please, everyone should check this out. It's the best horror film since... well, this past summer. What can I say, it's been a great year for horror, imo, and everyone should go and support the good ones!

I'm glad you loved it so much, Watashi! And I agree, I saw nothing wrong with Jane's performance.

[
    ]
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Fucking amazing film.

Jane better get some recognization for his performance. It was fan-fucking-tastic.

I agree...and again, I think a huge-name start would have detracted from it. He's not that big (yet) and it was nice that there really wasn't anyone in the film that was too distracting.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I agree...and again, I think a huge-name start would have detracted from it. He's not that big (yet) and it was nice that there really wasn't anyone in the film that was too distracting.
    I can't believe some of these reviews stating how [
    ]
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I can't believe some of these reviews stating how [
    ]

I saw absolutely nothing laughable at all...I actually cried quite a bit.

The part I laughed at briefly was [
    ] but it wasn't a "haha, that's hilarious!" laugh, it was a "that is so incredibly depressing and morbid, I can't help but laugh".

Jane did a wonderful job of playing the character without seeming like too much of a hero or turning Drayton into some buff action star. Making him a muscular badass would have killed the movie.

I never said "Glory". I missed it on the IMDB page. I never saw that either.
    K either I'm confused or you are. I said Glory first. In your post after that, which seemed to reference mine, you said Passing Glory and I thought that meant you misread my post and was confused, so then I tried to clear the air by re-stating that Glory was a good Braugher film.

I think we got lost on the way to grandma's house. I don't know any film named Passing Glory.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast