Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Recently Purchased.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar

KF, have you read The Company, A Novel of the CIA?

I just got this in the mail:

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    KF, have you read The Company, A Novel of the CIA?
    I haven't. In fact, Legacy of Ashes was an impulse purchase. We always visit the same small bookstore where we vacation, and the guy that owns it is very cool and usually recommends great stuff. It's not something I'd normally read, but after his recommendation last year (The Zero, which I LOVED), I figured I'd trust him and give this book a whirl.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I haven't. In fact, Legacy of Ashes was an impulse purchase. We always visit the same small bookstore where we vacation, and the guy that owns it is very cool and usually recommends great stuff. It's not something I'd normally read, but after his recommendation last year (The Zero, which I LOVED), I figured I'd trust him and give this book a whirl.
    I see. I've heard great things about The Company. I started it, and then I ended up losing my copy.

I bought The Complete Rimbaud by Rimbaud (obv) and Love in the Time of Cholera by Marquez the other day. Hope to read the latter over the Canadian Thanksgiving break.
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

This is a massive, 1000 page chronological anthology of horror. It has stories from Charles Dickens, Bierce, and on to King and Barker, including Lovecraft, Dick, Jackson, Oats, Disch, and tons more.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)

Very nice.

Just ordered this:

For a pretty decent price.

This is Ligotti's first collection. While I've read that it is more Lovecraftian in tone, Ligotti had not yet truly found his own uniquely poetic voice, I've also heard that it contains some amazing fiction.

A new RPG:

Don't Rest Your Head

You can’t sleep. It started like that for all of us, back when we were garden variety insomniacs. Maybe you had nightmares (God knows we all do now), or maybe you just had problems that wouldn’t let you sleep. Hell, maybe you were just over-caffienated. But then something clicked.

That was when you took a long walk down the streets of the Mad City, stopped being a Sleeper, and started being Awake. But that click you heard wasn’t from the secret world snapping into place.

It was the sound of the Nightmares flicking off the safety and pointing a gun at your head.

They can smell you. The Paper Boys are closing in, and you’d better pray you don’t become a headline. You’re chum in the water, my friend, and it’s time you got ready for it… before the clock chimes thirteen again. Now that you’re one of us, there’s just one simple rule left that must dominate your life.

Stay Awake. Don’t Rest Your Head.

Don’t Rest Your Head is a sleek, dangerous little game, where your players are all insomniac protagonists with superpowers, fighting — and using — exhaustion and madness to stay alive, and awake for just one more night, in a reality gone way wrong called the Mad City. It features its own system, and is contained entirely within one book.

"All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Bought:
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being
    Beautiful Losers
    Everything is Illuminated

Have people read the last one? Any good?
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

My local library had their book sale again, and I grabbed the following:

It - Stephen King
    The Phantom of the Opera - Gaston Leroux
    The Ministry of Fear - Graham Greene
    The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler
    House of Sand and Fog - Andre Dubus III
    Florence of Arabia - Christopher Buckley
    The Stone Diaries - Carol Shields
    The English Patient - Michael Ondaatje
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain
    The Metamorphosis and Other Stories - Franz Kafka

The last two are hardcover and cost a buck apiece. The rest are soft cover and were $.50 apiece. $6.50 in total for all those books. Man I love that sale.

From Barnes and Noble publishing. 1000+ pages containing every piece of original fiction Lovecraft wrote. All for $15.00. Probably the best buy I've ever encountered. This is the only HPL book you will ever need.

Quote Quoting Duncan (view post)
    I bought The Complete Rimbaud by Rimbaud (obv) and Love in the Time of Cholera by Marquez the other day. Hope to read the latter over the Canadian Thanksgiving break.
    Speaking of Marquez, I'm about to read my first by him. I bought a copy of "100 Years of Solitude" a week ago and will start it when I finish Gulag volume 2.

I need to find me a library sale.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting SirNewt (view post)
    Speaking of Marquez, I'm about to read my first by him. I bought a copy of "100 Years of Solitude" a week ago and will start it when I finish Gulag volume 2.
    It's one of my favourites. Hope you like it.

^^^^^^^^^

Dude, you will never read all the books you buy. You just won't live that long.

^^^^^^^^^

Dude, you will never read all the books you buy. You just won't live that long.
    You're probably right, but I hope you're wrong!

Someday I am going to either a) be retired with lots of time to read, or b) have a job that's not as good and therefor I will be unable to buy the books I want to read (or C) dead, in which case I will probably have them donated to a library or school).

I figure that right now I have a good paying job, and I there are a ton of used book stores around so I am just stocking up for the future. Just taking advantage of these good times. But I try to at least read 1 book per week, usually closer to 2 on average. I'll have about 100 books read by the end of this year.

But yes, for the past year I have been on a major book buying binge. Most of them I've gotten for under $5 each, and I just can't pass that up! I guess I do have a problem....

But I try to at least read 1 book per week, usually closer to 2 on average. I'll have about 100 books read by the end of this year.
    Holy cats, even at my most focused on reading I can manage 1 a week. I'm doing about two a month right now but I've read several whoppers this year (Les Miserables) that put me a little behind.

Holy cats, even at my most focused on reading I can manage 1 a week. I'm doing about two a month right now but I've read several whoppers this year (Les Miserables) that put me a little behind.
    Most of the books I read are short. I don't like long books. I've rarely come across a long book that a) needed to be that long, and b) was worth the time.

Right now, I'm really into short stories and novellas. I wish more authors wrote novella-length fiction these days.

Most of the books I read are short. I don't like long books. I've rarely come across a long book that a) needed to be that long, and b) was worth the time.
    Huh... I agree in principle that short is usually more powerful, but I can think of a lot of examples where you're wrong.

Don Quixote? Notre-Dame de Paris? The Savage Detectives? Fuckin' Lord of the Rings?

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Huh... I agree in principle that short is usually more powerful, but I can think of a lot of examples where you're wrong.

Don Quixote? Notre-Dame de Paris? The Savage Detectives? Fuckin' Lord of the Rings?
    I'm not talking about all books, just about the long books I've read. Of all the books I've read, I can think of very few long novels that really needed to be as long as they were.

It's just a bang for the time kind of thing. I rarely get more out something long, so I figure I might as well get just as much out of something short, and read that many more shorter novels

I, for the most part, simply prefer shorter novels.

Just one of my own personal reading habits/quirks, nothing more.

And things could change. I used to not like short stories much, but right now I am only digging short stories.

I'm not talking about all books, just about the long books I've read. Of all the books I've read, I can think of very few long novels that really needed to be as long as they were.

It's just a bang for the time kind of thing. I rarely get more out something long, so I figure I might as well get just as much out of something short, and read that many more shorter novels

I, for the most part, simply prefer shorter novels.

Just one of my own personal reading habits/quirks, nothing more.

And things could change. I used to not like short stories much, but right now I am only digging short stories.
    Yeah, and I agree.

By the way, off-topic, but sorry I left you hanging on the Haxan deal. I'm currently saving money for a Brazil-Colombia trip on January, so I'm basically spending just for eating and *ahem* drinking purposes.

And dvd rentals, because I suck at torrents.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast