Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Audio Production Thread

The Audio Production Thread

Figure there are a few of us here who make the music. Might as well talk here rather than the random comment in the random thoughts thread.

Am I right?

Anyhow...

I got my Alesis Micron today, and man is it cool. It's definitely going to take me a while to wrap my head around it all, but I am really looking forward to it. I didn't know that it contains all of the features of the much bigger Alesis Ion - they've just shrunk everything down to a compact level, and you lose the 'knob for every job' feature of the Micron's bigger brother.

But for less than half the price, I can't complain.

This pic shows the difference between the two synths.

I've recently discovered this blog:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/

Seems pretty cool.

Awesome thread. I do mash-ups, yo. Paul's Boutique style. (Probably not Dust Brothers good though.)

And always the scores for my movies.

Do you know anything about audio mixers actually? I'm thinking of getting one.

Quote Quoting Spaceman Spiff (view post)
    Do you know anything about audio mixers actually? I'm thinking of getting one.

Yes I do.

What do you need to do?

Great thread, D_Davis! And that is one handsome looking synth you got there.

Occasionally I get the hankering to get something new, then I'm stopped dead in my tracks by the realization that there is so much more I need to learn about the stuff I already own.

I have a mixer, a Mackie 1402-VLZ, which I've had for 10 years and it's always served me well. I imagine tho that much more fancy stuff has come along.

Spaceman - how many audio channels do you need in a mixer? Do you need any auxiliary channels for things like effects processors? I'm thinking if you're doing mash-ups, you could probably get away with four channels. Perhaps something like the Mackie 402-VLZ3 will fit the bill...

Other than that, I would recommend you going to a store like Guitar Center. They have tons of Mixers in the Pro Audio department. Check out what they got and see what you like.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

The Micron is freaking awesome. I can't believe the warmth and power this little synth has. Great purchase.

That little Mackie mixer is awesome. I've never seen one so small!

Buying a mixer was the single most important thing I ever did. It completely changed the way I thought about making music.

because I knew I was going to follow this hobby for years, I opted for a 16-Channel Mackie mixer. This was about 15 years ago, and I am still using it. It set me back about $500 at the time.

I would suggest, if you can, to spend the extra money and get one with sliders, rather than knobs, for the main volume control.

My Mackie needs a little work now. It's just old, and some of the pots and connections are dirty. Taking these things apart is a bitch, so I'll probably have it professionally serviced soon.

If my Mackie ever broke, I think I would go for a Behringer now. Behringer has really come up in terms of quality, and the pretty much copy everything that Mackie does.

[]

I've heard that their mixers are pretty good, but you definitely can't go wrong with a Mackie. The things are built so solid.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Occasionally I get the hankering to get something new, then I'm stopped dead in my tracks by the realization that there is so much more I need to learn about the stuff I already own.
    This is a good philosophy.

I'm pretty much done buying gear for a while - probable at least a year or two.

For many, many years, all I had was a 4-track, a guitar, a bass, and a couple of Casio keyboards. I mastered the hell out of that 4-track. And I upgraded.

Then for many years I had a Roland JX-3P analog synth, and an Arp Odyssey. I still have the JX-3P, but I sold the Odyssey for an Alesis QS6.2. I needed something more pratical, with nicely sampled acoustic instruments.

I've never once regretted selling the Arp - the thing was just to unreliable.

Well, I won't lie - it does look awesome in a studio:

I've pretty much mastered the JX-3P (except for the archaic on board sequencer, which never even needs to be used because of MIDI), and I felt like I needed a new analog-like synth. I was starting to rely on the same sounds for things.

I thought about going strictly VST - and eventually I can see this being a good route.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    I thought about going strictly VST - and eventually I can see this being a good route.
    That's my direction as well. My current weapon of choice is Reason. The way I can stack effects on top of each other with reckless abandon has completely changed the way I make music. If I were to cost out the hardware equivalents of all the synts & effects I have stuffed into some of my virtual racks, the price tag would surely be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The next step for me is likely going to be to purchase a more heavy duty DAW like Logic and go the plug-in route as well. But that's a daunting step, and again, I still haven't unlocked all of Reason's secrets.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I have a mixer, a Mackie 1402-VLZ, which I've had for 10 years and it's always served me well. I imagine tho that much more fancy stuff has come along.
    This is the same mixer I have. It's a great piece of kit. The new Mackies look awesome. Many of them now come with onboard fx, and the price has really come down.

Today I'm putting the final touches on two pieces I've been working on.

One of which I really, really like. It's called 'What Use Has a Mountain?'

It's incredibly moody, and densely atmospheric. It's also the first time I've ever used a trumpet patch in a song! It reminds me of a soundtrack to a SF-noir flick, ala Bladerunner or something. Maybe a future adaptation of Russo's Carlucci trilogy.

It's one of the quietest things I've ever done. With this new project, I am trying to embrace quietness. It's hard, because historically I've been all about walls of sound and tons of layers.

The second track doesn't have a title yet.

I'll post the mixes when I'm done - I'd like to get some feedback.

Alright.

So here is the latest tacks:

What Use Has a Mountain (parts I-IV)

If you check it out, please do so on headphones for the full effect.

I'll do my research in a bit (currently cramming for exams and whatnot) but I guess the only things I NEED are XLR inputs for my microphones, as I'll be using it more for film production more than anything. 4 channels would be nice. Honestly, I use an awesome 32-channel at work (with phantom power, natch) but I know next to nothing about mixers. I'll read up on it during the holidays.

Alright.

Thanks, I'll look forward to giving these a listen. I've really enjoyed stuff I've yours I've heard in the past.

Thanks, I'll look forward to giving these a listen. I've really enjoyed stuff I've yours I've heard in the past.
    Cool - thanks.

I just finished another mix of this. I notice a few things listening to it last night in the car.

I really like this track. It's long, just under 15 minutes, and it has a really haunting mood. It's ambient in nature, and yet it is still interesting sonically, and one of the parts has a pretty groovy rhythm to it.

I hope you enjoy it.

I wish I could afford these toys.

Mixing and mastering quiet music is a lot harder than it is with loud music. Historically, my music has been loud, and so mixing and mastering was easy - push everything up! However, I am finding it difficult adjusting to this new quiet phase I am entering into. I am having to rethink all of my techniques. It is both frustrating and exciting.

Mixing and mastering quiet music is a lot harder than it is with loud music. Historically, my music has been loud, and so mixing and mastering was easy - push everything up! However, I am finding it difficult adjusting to this new quiet phase I am entering into. I am having to rethink all of my techniques. It is both frustrating and exciting.
    I bet. The quieter you get, the harder it is to hide shortcomings in your recording gear, for example, mixer hiss and the like.

Alright.

Wow. This is a very good track. The vibraphone-sounding lead is wonderful. This song feels like slipping into a nice warm bath with only the flicker of candlelight to light the place.

The only thing I would do (and this is a matter of personal taste, so feel free to tell me to bugger off) would be to soften up the analog synth a bit so it fits in more with the relaxing vibe the lead gives off. Maybe switching from a sawtooth waveform to a sine would do the trick. But then again, a contrast might be what you're looking for...

Wow. This is a very good track. The vibraphone-sounding lead is wonderful. This song feels like slipping into a nice warm bath with only the flicker of candlelight to light the place.

The only thing I would do (and this is a matter of personal taste, so feel free to tell me to bugger off) would be to soften up the analog synth a bit so it fits in more with the relaxing vibe the lead gives off. Maybe switching from a sawtooth waveform to a sine would do the trick. But then again, a contrast might be what you're looking for...
    Thanks man. Glad you liked it.

There are many things about this that I like, but I am still not completely satisfied with the part with the drums. I am going to rework this part this week.

I'll post a new mix when it is ready. I think it may address the issue you had.

I also need to experiment more with the mastering - again, it is really hard with something this quiet. There are parts that are almost not there, ya know?

That vibe sound is a slightly modified patch off of the Micron - I instantly fell in love with that patch. I'm a sucker for a good vibe patch.

What do you think of that trumpet-like sound that comes in a few minutes into the track?

Alright.

indeed! Seriously, that's a great song and better than a lot of the ambient music I hear. Love the variety and the transitions.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    indeed! Seriously, that's a great song and better than a lot of the ambient music I hear. Love the variety and the transitions.
    Thanks a lot.

Glad you like it.

I just hope I can iron out the issues I am having with the part with the drums, and get the mix perfected.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to listen. A 15 minute commitment is a lot to ask for!

What do you think of that trumpet-like sound that comes in a few minutes into the track?
    I think it works splendidly. Fits in well with the volume of the mix. A gimmick I like to employ with sounds like that is to have them wash back and forth across the stereo field, perhaps in conjunction with the filter envelope you have on it.

Also, I really dig the flange you have going on around that point as well, but then again, I'm a real sucker for a good flange.

Can either of the Mackie Mixers (either the 1402 or the 402) run on DC?

Also, what Mics do you guys use? I've got a couple of Shure mics (dunno the exact model - they're prosumer) and they get pretty decent audio, I think.

Can either of the Mackie Mixers (either the 1402 or the 402) run on DC?

Also, what Mics do you guys use? I've got a couple of Shure mics (dunno the exact model - they're prosumer) and they get pretty decent audio, I think.
    DC? As in DC power? Yes.

As for mics, I have three. One's a Shure Beta 8/7c condenser, works fantastic. The other's a Shure A98D drum mic which I clip to my bodhran. And finally, my little baby - an M-Audio MicroTrack field mic, which I take with me places when I want to find some found sounds, but it's a solid mic in its own right.

I just have a couple of basic SM58s. I only use the mics for vocals, and some atmospheric recording. I run almost everything direct.

B - that little field recorded looks awesome. It works pretty well, eh?

I just have a couple of basic SM58s. I only use the mics for vocals, and some atmospheric recording. I run almost everything direct.

B - that little field recorded looks awesome. It works pretty well, eh?
    Yeah, it does! I carry it around with me in my pocket a lot, cuz ya never know when you'll hear something cool you wanna quick get a recording of.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast