Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Voice As Instrument

Voice As Instrument

I'm different from most music connoisseurs in that the things that draw my interest toward songs are the tonal and audio qualities of the songs themselves. It's interesting sounds that get me into songs more than moving lyrics or a particular vibe or whatnot.

Even in the voices themselves, I appreciate well-used vocal chords much more than I appreciate lyrical prowess. That's just the way I'm wired, I guess, but it probably has to do with the fact that I've been playing some sorta instrument or another since I was in 3rd grade.

So, it's with this in mind that I make a list of my favorite vocalists. These are the people who could light up a room with a microphone and a glass of water. These are the people who wield their throats with the intensity, virtuosity and art of a Miles Davis, Jimmy Hendrix, Itzhak Perlman, or... well, name your favorite instrument and then name the person you feel plays it the best... My instrument is the vocal chords, and the following are the people whom I feel are the true masters.

George Jones
    Such Beautiful Heartbreak

I was a non-believer for way too many years, seeing George Jones as personifying all that I thought I hated about Country Music - boring trite shit that my grandparents in bum fucking egypt used to listen to. Well, that all changed when I heard this voice, this painful voice laying the pain in his heart bare and raw and shooting it up to the heavens like a mortar. That song was "She Thinks I Still Care" and the voice was that of George "Possum" Jones. No one can lay his pain out to dry for the world to see quite as beautifully as the Ol' Possum.

George has since kicked the bottle, settled down, and has gotten old, and while the power of his voice has wained, it has been replaced by the wisdom and confidence of hard lessons well learned. George Jones continues to be, in my opinion, the greatest American singer alive.

Songs you oughta listen to:

• She Thinks I Still Care
    • Tender Years
    • White Lightnin'

Chet Baker
    Hard life, Soft Voice

Was Chet Baker a trumpeter who sings, or a singer who plays trumpet? Depends on who you ask, I guess, but both his singing and his bugling were velvety smooth, which is sad really, when you compare it to a life spent in the throes of heroin addiction.

Chet had a voice as comfortable as a warm sweater, as relaxing as sipping cognac in front of the fireplace, as sweet as an unexpected box of chocolates. Oh, to have been in San Francisco in the 50s when he was playing with ultra-smooth saxophone junkie Stan Getz. That woulda been somethin'.

• My Funny Valentine
    • I've Never Been In Love Before

Celine Dion
    Oh, what could have been

Sure, she's sort of a cooky-spook, sure, virtually all of her songs are tripe, but I think we all can agree on, boy, this lady has one set of pipes.

The way I see it is this. Celine Dion is like a person who owns a jeep that never leaves pavement, a person who owns the original Superman comic but has never taken it out of its wrapper to actually read the thing. She's wasted that great gift of hers on shit like "I'm Your Lady And You Are My Man" or whatever the fuck the song is called, and that gawdawful My Heart Will Go On song. Jesus, lady, get some new song writers and show us what you got!

• I dunno, I haven't heard anything that I like. Just whatever you do, stay the hell away from her Christmas albums. It'll make an atheist outa anybody.

You had me until Celine. But your first two are so awesome that I'll forgive you.

As far as Jones goes, you have to list He Stopped Loving Her Today. Absolutely one of my favorite songs.

Cool thread. I am hoping that Lisa Gerard and Elizabeth Frazier make the list...

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Cool thread. I am hoping that Lisa Gerard... make the list...
    YES. YES. YES.

[
    ]
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Meredith Monk was the first thing that came to mind upon reading the thread title.

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    YES. YES. YES.

[
    ]
    Hey, with her voice the feeling is understandable.

Celine Dion making the list makes me think of American Psycho. I sure hope Whitney Houston makes it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm more drawn to voices than anything else as well (well, besides for a string instrument), so I'll be following this with interest.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Celine Dion
    I don't know if you listen to foreign language music, but I recently came across another French Canadian chanteuse named Chantal Pary whose reminds me a lot of Celine as far as sheer vocal power goes, but seems to be slightly more nuanced in her presentation (which is my main complaint towards Dion--she's sings emotionlessly). FWIW.
    Memories of the Future

"Criticism can be monumentally creative, of course, at times highly artistic, highly personal. But it rarely relates to the work of art being assessed. It is an expression of the critic's own subjectivity." -Joyce Carol Oates, Journals

Quote Quoting Horbgorbler (view post)
    Meredith Monk was the first thing that came to mind upon reading the thread title.
    First thing that came to my mind were Tuvan throat singers, who I assume, won't be making an appearance.

Good topic.

Quote Quoting rocus (view post)
    You had me until Celine. But your first two are so awesome that I'll forgive you.

As far as Jones goes, you have to list He Stopped Loving Her Today. Absolutely one of my favorite songs.
    Hell yeah that song is amazing. George Jones is the shit.

Celine Deon needs to go away. Forever.

I haven't heard anything from Chet Baker, so I should check him out. No matter what anyone says Bob Dylan should be featured on this list. His whispy voice is just as awesome as his lyrics and guitar playing. In fact I'd say he's a better song writer and singer than a guitar player. If Johnny Cash fails to be mentioned I may break something.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Cool thread. I am hoping that Lisa Gerard and Elizabeth Frazier make the list...
    Actually, neither of those two had occurred to me, and I love Elizabeth Frazier. Would you like to do the honors?

Annie Lennox
    Sister doing it for herself

A know a lot of people can be hypnotized by a stopwatch swinging back and forth. For me, all it takes is watching (and listening to) Annie Lennox sing. There's both a visual as well as an audio component to the beauty of her voice. She exudes such confidence and grace in her voice that it's well, it's pretty damned sexy. Her voice is kinda like gazing into the grand canyon. It's humbling in a way.

• There Must Be An Angel Playing With My Heart
    • Have I Lied To You
    • Journey's End (on the LotR soundtrack)

Bryan Ferry
    More than just about anything

I'm convinced that if I ever hear the angel Gabriel sing, his voice will sound exactly like that of Bryan Ferry. I don't think I really need to say any more than this.

• More than This (with Roxy Music)
    • Don't Stop The Dance

Midge Ure
    UltraVox, indeed

Listening to Midge Ure take the mic is kinda like seeing Reggie Jackson step up to the plate. You know that at any moment, he can fire up the after burners and slug it right out of the park. And when he does, holy shit, hold on to your hats cuz the power of that voice of his is gonna hit you right in the sternum and throw you back into your seat. It's amazing that a five foot tall man packs such a punch.

• Vienna (with UltraVox)
    • If I Was

Journey's End (on the LotR soundtrack) almost brought me to tears when I heard it in the theater. It perfectly captured the sad feeling that I had when the credits for the third movie rolled. That it was all over. Just damn beautiful. And Sweet Dreams Are Made Of These is a pretty cool 80s track to boot.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Your title didn't actually make me think of vocalists, well it did... but not in the way you are implying. Rather a style some use, which is sometimes off putting as they appear to be singing off key or off note, but are literally using their voice as an instrument, to supliment the song. Joni Mitchell did this lots. I hope that makes sense?

I reluctantly have to agree that Celine can sing, but while most people have it bad, I live in Celine country... so much of her... everywhere, in everything! She was even on the Quebec Deal or No Deal!
    Follow me on Twitter

Damo Suzuki

Always a pleasure to see live, now that he resides in Melbourne. Wish he'd find a decent band to back him for once.

bac0n, I dunno if you read many of my posts in the music thread on the old forum, but I am exactly like you with music.

Not only do I rarely understand song lyrics, but I almost never listen to what the person is saying. I am just listening to the voice as another instrument in the song.

I think that's probably why I like so much music with totally nonsensical lyrics...
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Damo Suzuki

Always a pleasure to see live, now that he resides in Melbourne. Wish he'd find a decent band to back him for once.
    Saw him a few weeks back with a few members of the Akron/Family and Oneida. Pretty great show, even if it did go on for a bit too long.

I'm not familiar with Damo Suzuki. What's his story?

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Midge Ure
    UltraVox, indeed

Inspired choice! Nice.

How about Jón “Jónsi” Þór Birgisson?

Talk about a voice being used as an instrument.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast