Thread: Poetry for Middle Schoolers

Poetry for Middle Schoolers

Anybody have any good suggestions for poems to teach to my 8th graders? I'm looking for works with a relatively simple theme that they can figure out. I always use The Road Not Taken, which is very relevant to them because of decisions they will be making (or have made) in their lives. I would like it to include a theme that would be important to them.

So what are some of your favorites that would be appropriate? All help is appreciated.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    :lol:

I was prepared to come in here and say you can't go wrong with Robert Frost, but apparently you have that covered.

I'd give "We Wear the Mask" by Paul Laurence Dunbar a go. I had a teacher pass the poem around and we read it and discussed what we thought it meant and what Dunbar was trying to say. After the discussion had dwindled a bit she revealed that it was written in the late 1800's by a black man. The poem felt completely different, and much more poignant after that. It's still one of my favorite poems.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Though some of his work might not be suitable, Poe would seem to have some worth looking into for 8th graders.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Though some of his work might not be suitable, Poe would seem to have some worth looking into for 8th graders.
    Yeah, I'm fairly certain I had read some Poe by or in 8th grade.

The only poetry I studied in school was Wilfred Owen.

*shakes fist at British education system*

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    :lol:

I was prepared to come in here and say you can't go wrong with Robert Frost, but apparently you have that covered.

I'd give "We Wear the Mask" by Paul Laurence Dunbar a go. I had a teacher pass the poem around and we read it and discussed what we thought it meant and what Dunbar was trying to say. After the discussion had dwindled a bit she revealed that it was written in the late 1800's by a black man. The poem felt completely different, and much more poignant after that. It's still one of my favorite poems.
    I love Frost, so we do a good bit of him.

Thanks for the other suggestion, I'll definitely look into that one. I teach at at 95% white school, so it's always nice when I can bring in something to widen their horizons a little.

And Raiders, Poe is one that I use a good bit as well. Anabelle Lee is one of my favorites, but I really look forward to teaching The Raven. At first it's a good bit over their heads, but when we start breaking it down they really get into it.

Thanks for the help, guys.

"Midnight Ride of Paul Revere" by the Beastie Boys, I mean Longfellow.

Are any of these good?

R.L. Stephenson
    Shelley
    Keats
    Byron
    Tennyson

I have no idea if we even studied poetry in middle school English class.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Looking back, I kind of wish somebody had taught me William Blake or something when I was in 8th grade. Anything but Frost, really.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

KF, I just read the one you suggested, and it'll be great. In fact, I think I'll go about in the same way your teacher did for the impact value.

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Not all Frost is appropriate for middle-school. Home Burial, for example, is a poem best left for high schoolers.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society