Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Martin Scorsese

I'd be more interested in a Scorsese sci-fi than a Scorsese western.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    I feel the other way around. Scorsese knows Westerns a lot more.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I feel the other way around. Scorsese knows Westerns a lot more.
    Since I dislike both The Age of Innocence and Last Temptation of the Christ I have little faith in his ability to do 'historical' dramas. I'd be interested to see his take on the future though.

I don't see how you can say he knows westerns more when he hasn't done a sci-fi or a western... unless you're basically saying he knows guns, violence, alienation and rugged characters but all of these things could also take place in a sci-fi if he were so inclined.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Banned
    The Big Shave - 9
    Mean Streets - 10
    Taxi Driver - 10
    After Hours - 3
    The Last Temptation of Christ - 8
    Gangs of New York - 10
    The Aviator - 8.5
    The Departed - 7

I want to see him do both.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting monolith94 (view post)
    Bollywood?
    I just thought of something totally random...

Can anyone imagine Martin Scorsese directing a Bollywood movie?

It'll never happen, obviously, but it'd be incredibly awesome and incredibly fucked up at the same time.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Can anyone imagine Scorsese as a trained ferret contracted to make a remake of Persona starring Timothy Spall and a tomato with a smiley face painted on it?

How crazy would that be?

Since I dislike both The Age of Innocence and Last Temptation of the Christ I have little faith in his ability to do 'historical' dramas. I'd be interested to see his take on the future though.

I don't see how you can say he knows westerns more when he hasn't done a sci-fi or a western... unless you're basically saying he knows guns, violence, alienation and rugged characters but all of these things could also take place in a sci-fi if he were so inclined.
    He knows Westerns like he knows Crime films. His Personal Journey has an entire section dedicated to them. He has reused shots of John Wayne in some of his films.

As a genre I'm speaking.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Can anyone imagine Scorsese as a trained ferret contracted to make a remake of Persona starring Timothy Spall and a tomato with a smiley face painted on it?

How crazy would that be?
    If anyone could make it good....

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Kurious Jorge v3.1 (view post)
    Cape Fear is one of the worst movies I have ever seen.
    I still want Jorge to explain why he thinks this.

From what I've read on the original film, Scorsese's version sounds much better.

The entire conversation between Max and Danielle in the auditorium is one of the best Scorsese scenes. It's hard to imagine the entire scene was completely improvised and done in one take.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I still want Jorge to explain why he thinks this.

From what I've read on the original film, Scorsese's version sounds much better.

The entire conversation between Max and Danielle in the auditorium is one of the best Scorsese scenes. It's hard to imagine the entire scene was completely improvised and done in one take.
    The original is much, much better. I watched a double Mitchum bill with that and Night of the Hunter and came away satisfied. I'm with Jorge on disliking Scorsese's version a great deal.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

The original is much, much better. I watched a double Mitchum bill with that and Night of the Hunter and came away satisfied. I'm with Jorge on disliking Scorsese's version a great deal.
    I like Scorcese's version, not a great deal, but at least a deal. But I think I enjoy Mitchum and Peck a bit more. I heard that during one of the choreographed fights, Peck actually connected with Mitchum for real, who "felt it for days afterward." I can't imagine being actually hit by someone like young Peck. Ouchy.

That double bill must have been something. I would want to make films like Night of the Hunter if I were a filmmaker.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    I like Scorcese's version, not a great deal, but at least a deal. But I think I enjoy Mitchum and Peck a bit more. I heard that during one of the choreographed fights, Peck actually connected with Mitchum for real, who "felt it for days afterward." I can't imagine being actually hit by someone like young Peck. Ouchy.

That double bill must have been something. I would want to make films like Night of the Hunter if I were a filmmaker.
    Yeah... better that than being stabbed though I suppose (Jimmy Smits - Dexter mishap - I'm assuming it's not just rumor). Actually I watched Bringing out the Dead yesterday and it was interesting to see both Omar and Greggs (The Wire) as well as Angel (Dexter) all in there from back in the day. Pretty good film but the soundtrack didn't work for me. I thought the film would have been infinitely superior with an actual score modulating mood throughout. Also I could have used less unnecessary Scorsese flourishes. Particularly The Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas-esque transitions in the ambulance between emergency locations. That didn't work at all for me. The ghost stuff on the other hand I thought worked quite well and I would have preferred if the film stayed in tune with that, more of a Leaving Las Vegas vibe. Which is not to say that it couldn't still retain much of it's humor and zaniness. The security guard in the ER was good stuff as were Cage's fellow ambulance drivers. Well Tom Sizemore was a bit much but mostly in a good way. Ax the Fear and Loathing transitions and I think his malicious psychosis would have been more effective.

Speaking of Sizemore he seems to be working a whole hell of a lot lately but making nothing but crap. Someone ought to resurrect his career. I find him to be very charismatic.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Speaking of Sizemore he seems to be working a whole hell of a lot lately but making nothing but crap. Someone ought to resurrect his career. I find him to be very charismatic.
    Hasn't he had some trouble lately, following the law and stuff?
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Kurious Jorge v3.1 (view post)
    Cape Fear is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The Departed is also poop.
    How is the Departed poop?!

Banned
    Jack Nicholson's intonation of I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me. over footage of race riots and whatnot is a transcendent moment in Scorsese's oeuvre.

Quote Quoting trotchky (view post)
    Jack Nicholson's intonation of I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me. over footage of race riots and whatnot is a transcendent moment in Scorsese's oeuvre.
    why do you say that

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    The Aviator - 10
    Uh wow.

Thoughts on this? I mean, I dig the movie and all but a perfect 10?

Banned
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    why do you say that
    Because it's amazing and says a huge amount by establishing the film's tone and themes.

Quote Quoting Spaceman Spiff (view post)
    Uh wow.

Thoughts on this? I mean, I dig the movie and all but a perfect 10?
    I think it's a brilliant character study that reveals the central character by constructing the world as he experiences it. The compositions constantly emphasize Hughes' relationships to objects, imbuing them with both tactility and subjective meaning (this is seen especially in the shots of him from the perspective of objects, and in things like the exploding flash bulbs, but it is evident throughout the film). The film is also saturated with period details (of the visual and audio types) to flesh out the sense of a lived-in world—but more interestingly, its extreme stylization, most evidenced by the tinted colors that reproduce those of 30's-era movies, insists that the the film is a film. A dialectic is created: the film is an evocation of Hughes' world, and it is simultaneously an artifice. Artifice and reality mingle, and in their synthesis we see the film as Hughes' artifice; it is his, a literalization of his life story, his bravado and grand aspirations. But it is outside of his control. He himself is beyond his control, his psychological meltdowns pointing always to his lack of free will. The film's dialectic thus becomes a reification of Hughes' psyche: his super-abundant style perpetually at odds with his human frailty. The tension between these two aspects is realized in the shot of Hughes writhing, naked, with his own film projected on his back.

It's also filled with tremendous performances and dialogue, a great score, and extremely dynamic editing that gives it a constant energy (the staccato editing of the Coconut Grove scenes is particularly spectacular).

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Hasn't he had some trouble lately, following the law and stuff?
    I hadn't heard about it, what's the story?
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I know Sizemore has some serious addiction problems, and I believe he served time recently for a parole violation. According to wikipedia, he should have been released some time in May of this year. Great actor, though, I agree.

Flame away, but I just watched Mean Streets for the first time, and found it kinda meandering and pointless.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    Flame away, but I just watched Mean Streets for the first time, and found it kinda meandering and pointless.
    I didn't like it the first time I saw it either, because I was expecting the immediate impact that many of his other movies had.

This, like Bringing Out the Dead, and The King of Comedy, get better for me on more viewings.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast