Page 511 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1141146150150951051151251352156161110111511 ... LastLast
Results 12,751 to 12,775 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

So far I've seen 71 films this year. Most of them are actually first time viewings, although some are second viewings. I only count films I've seen once or twice. Third or more viewings disqualifies the film from being listed. Last year I saw 167 films, and I'd say if I continue on my current pace I may finally reach 200. I'm not sure if I want to get to that number though because it means I have way too much free time on my hands.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting fasozupow (view post)
    I read everything in The Portable Nietzsche. I really should give him another go though. It was about four years ago on a long and lazy camping trip that I gave him my first go.
    One thing that I've found key to an appreciation of philosophy in general is the ability to put aside all preconceptions for the duration of the work you're reading... same thing with a lot of films and literature actually... you may not agree with all of the things he's saying, I certainly don't... but the way in which he expresses himself and the direction and force of ideas is extremely important, both historically and in the grand scope of philosophical debate...
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting origami_mustache (view post)
    I've seen Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors and Color of Pomegranates. I really liked both, especially the former, and would like to see more from him.
    Yeah I prefer Shadows to Color as well... Color uses too much 'theater' imagery for my taste... too many images where the characters face out toward the camera which is positioned at eye level to the actors/action and the action plays out in a mostly two-dimensional plane.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    So far I've seen 71 films this year. Most of them are actually first time viewings, although some are second viewings. I only count films I've seen once or twice. Third or more viewings disqualifies the film from being listed. Last year I saw 167 films, and I'd say if I continue on my current pace I may finally reach 200. I'm not sure if I want to get to that number though because it means I have way too much free time on my hands.
    I've seen 106 counting rewatches, although I'm not big on revisiting films too often. I'm aiming for 350 this year because I'm insane. Some people can do it, I don't think I can.
    Follow me on Twitter

Quote Quoting iosos (view post)
    Let's discuss this:

How many of those films have you seen since you feel like you were capable of making reasoned and insightful deductions about the cinema? In other words, in order to have seen that many movies, wouldn't you have to have only a cursory recollection of a good deal of them, having seen them in haste, out of necessity, or simply a long time ago? And if that is the case, what good is this accomplishment?

I'm not trying to cheapen your drive, I think it's admirable and hold a similar ambition myself (or rather, did at one point but have now become a bit less idealistic about the whole thing). I just want to know what you think.
    It's a reasonable question but...

I have a fairly quality memory and have probably watched the majority of the films in the last five to seven years so I remember them all relatively equally and well I'd say. There's surprisingly only a small handful I'd like to rewatch because I saw them in less than ideal circumstances (too tired or bad resolution) and then there's the ones I want to rewatch because they're just that good.

There's a lot of over-lap in the 3 1000 lists.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Philosophe_rouge (view post)
    I've seen 106 counting rewatches, although I'm not big on revisiting films too often. I'm aiming for 350 this year because I'm insane. Some people can do it, I don't think I can.
    That's a pretty solid number. But 350? Goddamn that's just crazy. I wonder how many films a typical film reviewer sees in a given year.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    That's a pretty solid number. But 350? Goddamn that's just crazy. I wonder how many films a typical film reviewer sees in a given year.
    Don't worry, I'll never make it I don't think I've ever made over 300 a year.
    Follow me on Twitter

Quote Quoting Philosophe_rouge (view post)
    Don't worry, I'll never make it I don't think I've ever made over 300 a year.
    Well heh I won't worry. 300 is still a lot still. I wonder if I'll see as many films in theaters as I did last year. 2005 and 2006 were pretty high dry spells in that regard.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Sydney Film Festival next month... and Mike Leigh's Happy-Go-Lucky and Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Tokyo Sonata are playing there; the latter fresh off its Cannes premiere. Seems like an even better lineup than last year's, though the full program hasn't been announced yet.

I'll typically watch 125 to 150 films a year with about 1/3 of those re-watches.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    It's a reasonable question but...

I have a fairly quality memory and have probably watched the majority of the films in the last five to seven years so I remember them all relatively equally and well I'd say. There's surprisingly only a small handful I'd like to rewatch because I saw them in less than ideal circumstances (too tired or bad resolution) and then there's the ones I want to rewatch because they're just that good.

There's a lot of over-lap in the 3 1000 lists.
    Man, it's frickin annoying, but if I haven't seen a film at the least 2 times (and usually I even need 3 or more) - two years max and it's gone from my head.

That's the thing, movies with merit I feel I need to see at least twice to really gradate in the 5-10 star range (you know, whether 5.5 or a 6 or a 6.5, or a 7.5 or an 8, etc.). And then I'm always compelled to think to myself, "Man, the film isn't as good as Notorious, I can't give it a 9/10..." which is why I'd go crazy using the 4 star scale.

4.5 and below, though, whatevah. That's the crap and I don't sweat that too much.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Sydney Film Festival next month... and Mike Leigh's Happy-Go-Lucky and Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Tokyo Sonata are playing there; the latter fresh off its Cannes premiere. Seems like an even better lineup than last year's, though the full program hasn't been announced yet.
    Two of my favorite filmmakers right there. I didn't know Leigh had a new film coming out! Right on.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

Quote Quoting fasozupow (view post)
    I'll typically watch 125 to 150 films a year with about 1/3 of those re-watches.
    Heck, I just checked and I watch my two girls swim almost 250 races a year, play about 30 soccer games, play 15 volleyball games, and compete in 8 dance competitions. I wonder if I'm even posting in the right forum.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

California Split is really damn good.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    California Split is really damn good.
    Altman's second best.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    I can't wait to see Tokyo Sonata. I've read reports that Kurosawa has moved well beyond the initial script and has delivered a really interesting film, which is exciting, especially after the double punch of Loft (mostly inept) and Retribution (formally gorgeous but otherwise merely serviceable).
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    Loft (mostly inept)
    Wrong.

:P
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Wrong.

:P
    An incoherent plot, even more incoherent themes, uncharacteristically bland cinematography, uniformly awkward performances, and a failure to work as horror, drama, or comedy (unless embarrassed laughter counts) all beg to differ, my good man.

You should rent Retribution, I'm interested in how you'd respond to it. And damn, do I wish License to Live and his dual yakuza movies would be released over here already, I bet they'd be a big hit with most of you.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Le Boucher was damned good. A slight disappointment considering how much it had been hyped up for me, and I didn't find the characters as interesting or engaging as Huppert and Bonnaire in Le Ceremonie. Some of the slow zooms in the opening scenes were a bit distracting as well, though I can't fault much else. The elevator scene near the end is a stunner, and the image of the blood dripping on the schoolgirls' sandwich was brilliantly macabre. Might watch it again this weekend in a more appropriate environment (ie, not behind the counter in my video store).

So although I don't harbor the vitriolic attitude toward Noah Baumbach's Margot at the Wedding that others here wielded, it still registers as an interesting failure more so than it registers as any kind of neo-Dogme treatise on film aesthetics. Despite the film's many riffs on Rohmer, for instance, Rohmer still treats his characters with dignity, which is something that Baumbach seems diametrically opposed to here. Instead, we're inundated with narcissism from every angle and every character, which just collapses any caring or empathy. And I don't want to pull a "I didn't like anyone," but whereas Rohmer or even Leigh present fascinating stories within that framework, Baumbach becomes too schematic in his narcissistic fetishism.

That said, the moment with Margot at the book reading, where her lover attacks her onstage, has an emotional integrity that rises upon its schematic nature, and Jennifer Jason Leigh is typically fantastic and affecting. The film just never becomes more than a formal excerise that fails...
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Wow. This thread sure slowed down. Did I talk everyone into going off and posting in swimming forums?

Anyway. Weekend (starting tomorrow):

Teeth
    Diving Bell and the Butterfly
    Tokyo Chorus (re-watch)
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Le Boucher was damned good. A slight disappointment considering how much it had been hyped up for me, and I didn't find the characters as interesting or engaging as Huppert and Bonnaire in Le Ceremonie. Some of the slow zooms in the opening scenes were a bit distracting as well, though I can't fault much else. The elevator scene near the end is a stunner, and the image of the blood dripping on the schoolgirls' sandwich was brilliantly macabre. Might watch it again this weekend in a more appropriate environment (ie, not behind the counter in my video store).
    After your second viewing, when you recant all those negative opinions, I'll rep you. Until then I'm holding out.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    After your second viewing, when you recant all those negative opinions, I'll rep you. Until then I'm holding out.
    Just rewatched it. The slow zooms made me cum.

Huh, at my friendly video store (which specializes in cult and B-movies) the clerks are always watching behind the counter. While I find that's a great job and I envy them for it, I always wonder how much do they register while they're taking orders and charging the rentals. I know I'd keep pausing the movies, like, thirty times each.

Le Boucher is an awesome psych thriller and my favorite Chabrol. How'd you like those closing shots?

I saw Shine a Light yesterday. I don't feel like writing a full-lenght review because, as good as the editing is, it's still a concert movie, and I don't know enough about music to review the actual concert. I had a great time. The Greatest Rock & Roll Band in the World is still kickin' it after 45 years of uninterrupted playing. Marty's contributions are in the comedy editing of old documentaries and interviews with the Stones intercut with the performance and in the funny opening (I'm betting mostly fictionalized) where Mick Jagger keeps undecided about the final list of songs to play until the show is about to start, while Scorsese gives in to despair. Good music movie.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Just rewatched it. The slow zooms made me cum.
    Much better.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    Altman's second best.
    Second tier, he has five or so others that are much better.

Long Goodbye, Nashville, Short Cuts, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, MASH and even The Player are all signature works.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+