Page 501 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 40145149149950050150250351155160110011501 ... LastLast
Results 12,501 to 12,525 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Weekend:
    Iron Man
    The Big Red One
    The Bird People of China

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    You are out of your mind.
    Sounds about right actually.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Sounds about right actually.
    Well, I already know about your insanity.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

You are out of your mind.
    I didn't comment on it initially simply because I'm so nonplussed by the film's reputation that I don't think anything'll sway me. I'm not familiar with the specifics of the Czech political situation at the time, but representing its leadership as a bunch of bug-eyed, lying, scheming curmudgeons doesn't strike me as particularly brilliant... which wouldn't be a problem if the film was visually appealing, well characterised, or actually funny. OK, a few scenes made me smile and the final shot was quite effective, but I think the extremely brief running time is the only thing keeping my opinion back from 'hate'.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    I didn't comment on it initially simply because I'm so nonplussed by the film's reputation that I don't think anything'll sway me. I'm not familiar with the specifics of the Czech political situation at the time, but representing its leadership as a bunch of bug-eyed, lying, scheming curmudgeons doesn't strike me as particularly brilliant... which wouldn't be a problem if the film was visually appealing, well characterised, or actually funny. OK, a few scenes made me smile and the final shot was quite effective, but I think the extremely brief running time is the only thing keeping my opinion back from 'hate'.
    Broad characterizations are a common element of farce.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Broad characterizations are a common element of farce.
    I guess it's that I don't find the film very effective as a farce. The audition for the 'beauty queens' scene could have been funny had it lasted a couple of minutes... instead it drags on forever to the point that I nearly wanted to fast-forward it. I went back to read your review at the old site where you said it's about "the way in which authority can value pageantry over people", and that never crossed my mind while watching it because to me Forman doesn't care about anyone onscreen except as amusingly ugly puppets for the delivery of a social message. Not my cup of tea.

PS: don't let my rating turn you off the films in my sig with high ratings... I immediately thought of you while watching Forbidden Lies and highly recommend it.

Quote Quoting fasozupow (view post)
    I disagree. It actually makes perfect sense. I imagine all so-called miracles have just such an explanation.
    I think the film criticizes that mode of thinking in the character of the priest. The ending refutes the priest's claim that God would not contradict the usual workings of nature. It certainly doesn't come out and say that God exists and works miracles, but its power stems from it presenting an event with no ready explanation, an event that contradicts our understanding of the world, an event that we can only accept if we are "capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts without any irritable reaching after fact & reason" (Keat's original definition of Negative Capability, according to Wikipedia).
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

I guess it's that I don't find the film very effective as a farce. The audition for the 'beauty queens' scene could have been funny had it lasted a couple of minutes... instead it drags on forever to the point that I nearly wanted to fast-forward it. I went back to read your review at the old site where you said it's about "the way in which authority can value pageantry over people", and that never crossed my mind while watching it because to me Forman doesn't care about anyone onscreen except as amusingly ugly puppets for the delivery of a social message. Not my cup of tea.
    I don't recognize the film you're describing and can only assume that you watched some shady Australian bootleg.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

I don't recognize the film you're describing and can only assume that you watched some shady Australian bootleg.
    Quote Quoting Boner
    I'm so nonplussed by the film's reputation that I don't think anything'll sway me.
    Well... consider myself pwned. :frustrated:

Today at lunch, it was me, three other students, a few faculty members, Paul Mazursky, and Jeff Garlin. It was pretty fun!

Well, the reviews sure are good. Too bad I've never even heard of Iron Man -- the character that is. Is it some new Marvel character? Or some old as the hills Marvel character? Is it even a Marvel character? (If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm not much of a superhero/comicbook fan.)
    Old as the hills.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    The Savages... I liked it. Seems like most around here hated it.

::shrug::
    It was my #1 of last year! Totally took me by surprise. I can't fathom hating it, so, glad you liked it.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    What do stars do? ... Shine!

Fuck you Neil Gaiman, stop writing.
    I should negative rape you for this. MirrorMask is a masterpiece. Go buy Sandman and get some culture going.

My advice to all of the board is: never watch Container. Only at gunpoint, and even then try to duke it out. It's all I've seen from Modysson.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    It was my #1 of last year!
    Wow. Now THAT I can't fathom... I really can't. But I suppose it's an unorthodox pick in a year where TWBB and NCFOM dominated top tens, so kudos for that.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

I think Ordet leaves the door wide open for that very reading. Dreyer was struggling with his faith -- or so I've read anyway -- and crafted an ending that both believers and non-believers could appreciate.

[
    ]
    What a few hundred years ago people didn't realize breathing = life?
    [
    ]
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Antoine (view post)
    Speaking as a non-believer, I couldn't appreciate Ordet's ending at all. I would have almost liked the movie without it.
    That's what I mean, if they had made it obviously a coma I think it would have been much more potent in both regards... faith or lack of faith... the way it is it just strikes me as somewhat overwrought.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

the way it is it just strikes me as somewhat overwrought.
    Obviously you'll never hack it as a knight of faith.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    I've heard some bad ideas in my time, but that's the baddest idea that ever badded. The ending is already an exemplar of negative capability. Keats would have loved it, I'm sure.
    How is making it more amiguous a bad idea... it's barely amiguous, everyone there is like... omfg a miracle I believe! Fuck that.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Obviously you'll never hack it as a knight of faith.
    Thank god for that.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    So, Southland Tales was definitely a film of some type.

My expressions while watching it:

:P

:|

:crazy:

The only incarnation of Batman that I truly enjoyed was the old TV series. I imagine this admission has truly painted me as a summer movie lost cause. I know I found what Nolan did to the character dreadfully boring. Maybe his next one will work for me.
    If your issues were tonal I doubt the second film will correct that... I think it'll be more of the same (which I loved).
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Damn, I didn't find it really all that funny as some seem time but it strikes me as a solid up and coming director early type film... like some of Polanski's early works.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I think the film criticizes that mode of thinking in the character of the priest. The ending refutes the priest's claim that God would not contradict the usual workings of nature. It certainly doesn't come out and say that God exists and works miracles, but its power stems from it presenting an event with no ready explanation, an event that contradicts our understanding of the world, an event that we can only accept if we are "capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts without any irritable reaching after fact & reason" (Keat's original definition of Negative Capability, according to Wikipedia).
    You're really misinterpreting negative capability as I have been taught it... negative capability is leaving questions open... freedom vs. determinism, dream vs. reality, faith vs. doubt, etc.

Ordet concludes the question fairly pro-faith, pro-God.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I should negative rape you for this. MirrorMask is a masterpiece. Go buy Sandman and get some culture going.

My advice to all of the board is: never watch Container. Only at gunpoint, and even then try to duke it out. It's all I've seen from Modysson.
    I've heard good things about Sandman and will get to it at some point... but Mirrormask is not a masterpiece (and Stardust is simply awful)... it's a unique, middling fantasy... relatively nice imagery, some inventiveness but with a middling script and very poor drama. I'd rather rewatch Rou's The Kingdom of False Mirrors than Mirrormask again and both have their fair share of flaws.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

How is making it more amiguous a bad idea
    I just don't care for the kind of ambiguity that you want. If the character was in a coma, no questions would even be raised. The ending would just be an everyday event. Sure, someone who has faith that God's hand is in every event would say that God caused this particular event, but such an explanation would add nothing—if everything works according to our everyday notions, then saying God is responsible is superfluous. There's no tension in the ambiguity, since each each explanation works just fine on its own, and the nonbelievers have no new reason to believe.

You're really misinterpreting negative capability as I have been taught it... negative capability is leaving questions open... freedom vs. determinism, dream vs. reality, faith vs. doubt, etc.

Ordet concludes the question fairly pro-faith, pro-God.
    My knowledge of negative capability is limited to quotations from Keats, so you're probably right that I'm misinterpreting it. But the ambiguities and contradictions that Ordet points to strike me as much more profound than simply saying "maybe it was God or maybe it wasn't". Have you read Fear and Trembling?

lists and reviews