Page 401 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 3013513913994004014024034114515019011401 ... LastLast
Results 10,001 to 10,025 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    i love love love the saddest music in the world.
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    My Girl?
    I was thinking of Tank Girl, the initial post was the joke, all the disgusting picture stuff was just a collective freudian slip.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Clipper Ship Captain (view post)
    What is Guy Maddin's masterpiece?
    I will have to go with the populous and say The Saddest Music in the World primarily for the music. I prefer films which incorporate music when they do it so well.

weekend (or today-thursday, which is more likely)

Bringing Up Baby
    Green Snake
    Lady Chatterley
    end of season 1 to Veronica Mars
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Weekend:

The Counterfeiters (Stefan Ruzowitzky)
    Lady Chatterley (Pascale Ferran)
    A River Called Titus (Ritwik Ghatak)
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    All this made me distrust the film. Plus, I can't completely like anything with Natalie blech Portman in it.
    That would be Natalie Portmehn then.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Weekend:

Go Tell the Spartans

maybe:

Equinox Flower
    Teorema

can recall his past lives origami_mustache's Avatar
    R.I.P. Ivan Dixon
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23700118/

I loved him in Nothing But a Man (1964) which is truly an iconic film for African American cinema and will probably soon be watching Spook Who Sat By the Door (1973), which he directed.
    In Front of Your Face (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    Introduction (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    True Mothers (Naomi Kawase, 2020) - 8
    Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy - (Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021) - 7
    Wife of a Spy (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2020) - 7
    The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion, 2021) - 9
    Don't Look Up - (Adam McKay, 2021) - 4
    The Matrix Resurrections (Lana Wachowski, 2021) - 4.5
    Benedetta (Paul Verhoeven, 2021) - 7

mubi

Weekend
    Catch-22
    Les Miserables 35'/52'
    Naughty Girl
    Triple Agent
    Nobody Knows
    Paprika
    Follow me on Twitter

The Beach certainly has a blueprint of being a good movie. Whether it be dealing with a utopian society, in which the possibility of it being destroyed leads to a dying man simply being pulled away from earshot, or a young kid going on an Into the Wild-esque journey, it manages to always take a wrong turn. Most of it all having to deal with the French.

What a drag.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Clipper Ship Captain (view post)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that that's the Dracula movie that monolith94 is referring to.
    I was talking about that one too. Just worded it oddly. Replace "myself" with "too." More or less.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Howl's Moving Castle is not a roaring success, but it has its triumphs. I liked the American voice acting just fine. The castle design is spectacular and some of the film's notions about obsolescence are simple yet striking. The war machines are a wonder but the war itself seems tacked on and the resolution is pat. Howl is a fascinating character to me. He's presented as a petulant, fey young man yet he's ostensibly the love interest for Sophie. Interesting form for one of the film's heroes. Loved the Witch of the Waste and the stair-climbing "competition." Billy Crystal is a bit annoying even though he's appropriate.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Hangmen Also Die (1943) is great, Lang is reminding me why I hold him in such high regard. The film is unabashedly propaganda for the Allies cause but presented in a way only Lang could muster. It's immediate, violent and effecting. The black and white cinematography is particularly stylized and harsh, really lending to the overall mood of the film. While a bit over the top, I thought it was a nice touch that right before "The End" popped up, another caption "Not" was added. Interesting enough, it was actually banned about a decade later for being too "subversive" under McCarthyism's "reign". The writer was even blacklisted... strange world. I also love the title.
    Follow me on Twitter

Quote Quoting Philosophe_rouge (view post)
    Hangmen Also Die (1943) is great, Lang is reminding me why I hold him in such high regard. The film is unabashedly propaganda for the Allies cause but presented in a way only Lang could muster. It's immediate, violent and effecting. The black and white cinematography is particularly stylized and harsh, really lending to the overall mood of the film. While a bit over the top, I thought it was a nice touch that right before "The End" popped up, another caption "Not" was added. Interesting enough, it was actually banned about a decade later for being too "subversive" under McCarthyism's "reign". The writer was even blacklisted... strange world. I also love the title.
    The Naked Spur is a great movie.

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    The Naked Spur is a great movie.
    Agreed. I'm really going to have to watch more Mann. My video store has a ton of his stuff. It was certainly strange to see so much smiling from Robert Ryan.
    Follow me on Twitter

Quote Quoting Philosophe_rouge (view post)
    Yes! Great film. One of my favorites. Sometimes 'propaganda' isn't a bad thing, particularly when it is anti-Nazi. It's an utterly captivating film from start to finish, I think. It contains enough reason and insight to earn its emotional pleas. And it's got one hell of an ending. The title is even better when you put an exclamation point on it.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I love watching Hangmen Also Die and This Land is Mine in tandem to see how two different directors manage great wartime propaganda in vastly different ways.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Yes! Great film. One of my favorites. Sometimes 'propaganda' isn't a bad thing, particularly when it is anti-Nazi. It's an utterly captivating film from start to finish, I think. It contains enough reason and insight to earn its emotional pleas. And it's got one hell of an ending. The title is even better when you put an exclamation point on it.
    I find most cinematic propaganda at the very least fascinating, and in some cases (this included) it can be completely enriching. I especially like the British filmmakers work during WW2, Powell/Pressburger, Humphrey Jennings and the like. Most work on two levels. I forgot the exclamation point!

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I love watching Hangmen Also Die and This Land is Mine in tandem to see how two different directors manage great wartime propaganda in vastly different ways.
    I haven't seen This Land is Mine yet, I will get to it though!
    Follow me on Twitter

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    No Country was my #13 of 2007, now it's my #2.

Quote Quoting eternity (view post)
    No Country was my #13 of 2007, now it's my #2.
    It was my #1, and then after seeing it again I loved it more... and it's still there. Great film, and I can only see it getting better the more I think/watch it
    Follow me on Twitter

Go Tell the Spartans (1978, Ted Post) starts off very inauspiciously - so badly in fact that I didn't think I'd be able to finish it. At first appearance it looks like the pilot to a failed 70s TV show - and is actually directed by a TV man. The score is very low TV quality and some of the acting is as well - but it has a good (though somewhat predictable) story and Burt Lancaster as a very old but believable remnant from WWII. The writing starts off poorly as well but it does pick up and finds its groove quite nicely - with many of the lines actually being quite shocking. There are some great memorable one-liners here and Burt gets most of them. The day shots look a lot like from MASH the TV show - but things improve greatly at night and that's when most of the firefights occur. If you can get over the TV aspects it plays more like a good quality B movie reminding one of Fuller's films. Eventually, it pulls itself up and ends very well. A very surprising work. 8/10

P.S. Unfortunately, the DVD version is Pan and Scan.

can recall his past lives origami_mustache's Avatar
    Sazen Tange and the Pot Worth a Million Ryo (Sadao Yamanaka, 1935)

In his film Humanity and Paper Balloons, director Sadao Yamanaka deconstructs the jidai-geki genre, taking a more psychologically oriented approach. Here he does the same, but in a much different manner. Humanity and Paper Balloons explores the deeply tragic life of a masterless samurai. Sazen Tange and the Pot Worth a Million Ryo instead utilizes a genre based around reversal of expectations to do exactly that. The film begins with a classic setup for a traditional moral tale about greed vs. honor as we are quickly told of a pot that contains a map to the whereabouts of a hidden fortune. We soon discover that the pot is more of a mcguffin than anything else, as the characters have other concerns and we are in fact watching a comedy. The original owner of the pot pretends to be in search of it while spending his days away from his wife shooting arrows and flirting with girls which is where he meets the ex-samurai Sazen Tange with one arm and one eye, who now works for the mistress for food and shelter (the dynamic relationships between the men and women are also worth noting.)

Sazen Tange was a popular figure who made many appearances in Japanese popular culture during this period, so it was a pretty bold choice for Yamanaka to alter his character, although now it is the most widely recognized portrayal. Sazen Tange was originally characterized as a ruthless swordsman, but Yamanaka humanizes his character as he cares for an orphaned child who just so happens to own the pot worth one million ryo. Yamanaka's direction is almost flawless and the script is wonderful. The score and music pieces the mistress plays within the film are quite enjoyable. I was also impressed with how effectively editing is used to enhance the narrative and the comedy without any detrimental stylization. Throughout Yamanaka uses elliptical cuts for comic effect where character's say one thing and then do or allow the opposite to occur. This old comic device as well as the use of callbacks are expertly done. There are also several brief montage transitional scenes, sound bridges, and other technical and formal devices that work very well. I found the film to be quite funny without resorting to slapstick and still maintaining the tradition of Japanese humanism and offering social commentary.
    In Front of Your Face (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    Introduction (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    True Mothers (Naomi Kawase, 2020) - 8
    Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy - (Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021) - 7
    Wife of a Spy (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2020) - 7
    The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion, 2021) - 9
    Don't Look Up - (Adam McKay, 2021) - 4
    The Matrix Resurrections (Lana Wachowski, 2021) - 4.5
    Benedetta (Paul Verhoeven, 2021) - 7

mubi

Thelma and Louise was idiotic. Why is this a classic?
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Thelma and Louise was idiotic. Why is this a classic?
    It came along when film studies had been granted legitimacy as a film of study, and the fact that a woman wrote it allowed a lesser film to be hailed by critics as the definitive hard-hitting account of women's oppression by men?
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Watched Singin' in the Rain. The directing is amazingly stupendous, the dancing plain fantastic, the first half = gold, but once Gene Kelly wins over Debbie Reynolds and the conflict switches to the half-assed lampoon of the transition to sound, the film loses some of its "edgy"-steam (Reynolds's character especially becomes boring real quick and is brought nowhere) and you realize the story's complete bokum. Also, I found great irritation in the notion that, okay, he's overcome by euphoria and the urge to sing in the rain the same night his career is severely threatened, why? Presumably because they came up with this idea that might very well completely not work and not solve anything? Or because he's high on love for a girl he's already been happily dating for an extended amount of time now?

But the directing/choreography/musical numbers are dynamite, and it is strangely subversive how evasive the film is. Watched the film in a class, so we were alerted to the undercurrents of theft, credit, and the film as a subconscious response to the promulgation of African American performance and the fringe-area place it had in American performance culture, and it certainly is striking and fascinating, but I don't think the film is compelling enough to truly support those ideas. Plus, the film feels a bit overlong, I suppose partly due to the fact I personally can only take so much dancing and frothy musical numbers ("Good Morning, Good Morning" I'm looking at you), but then again I'd rather have that enticing 15-minute musical digression with Cyd Charrise than some of the film's more sluggish non-musical stretches (I really was not very impressed with the sound technology/transition parodying).

And... The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is still unadultered awesomeness.

WEEKEND: Starship Troopers, North By Northwest, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B