Page 3 of 2880 FirstFirst 1234513531035031003 ... LastLast

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I really do seem to be one of the only people in the world who was underwhelmed by The Host.
    it was so cool. i was so into it. i think maybe the only thing i had a problem with was the origin of it, or at least what they wanted us to believe happened. the doctor's attitude at the beginning was a great way to fire me up.

I really do seem to be one of the only people in the world who was underwhelmed by The Host.
    There were others.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    There were others.
    It took me forever to figure out why your av looked familiar. Even if her subsequent films aren't very good, at least that one was awesome.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Best Boy
    Hopefully this weekend i'll get to watch some of the Kubrick boxset. My wife has never seen The Shining and i'm dying to rewatch Eyes Wide Shut.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    It took me forever to figure out why your av looked familiar. Even if her subsequent films aren't very good, at least that one was awesome.
    Beware my mighty 0 rep power.

Seriously though, I think we really only disagree on one film. Frida was indeed a disappointment.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    The film stagnates everytime a female character open their mouth and every actor visibly struggles with their lines, and QT's idea of 'female empowerment' is as glib as can be.

Now, off to read the discussions...
    I think the second act's female empowerment is supposed to belie itself with its glibness and lack of displays of vulnerability and emotional neediness, which the first act is full of. In the second portion, victimization rolls off their back like nothing, feeling no need to nurse their wounds or even prove themselves. I think the contrast Tarantino makes with the film is so so fascinating and reflexively shows us what we expected from what was supposed to be a novelty project (which, I suppose in many ways, it still is).

But then again, I loved every bit of dialogue, and I suppose that's the deal-breaker with this very very talky film.

Did you guys know that Blade Runner is practically a Shaw Brothers film? Run Run Shaw was an associate producer. I always get a kick out of this.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    what more could a zombie lover ask for than to see a zombie Bruce Willis bad guy or to see Quentin Tarantino's zombie nut sack....
    As a zombie lover, I could have done without those things. Especially Tarantino... he was the weakest link in Planet Terror.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Dude, where have you been? This forum is like a Bizarro World where half of the posters don't like the movie.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    There are quite a few of us. And we are right to be underwhelmed.

Yeah, it seems that liking The Host will put you in the minority here. I don't know what meg is getting at.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    regarding titus, and spinal's avatar.

for a while, i thought you two are referring to laura fraser. i actually like her a lot, and wish one day she became better known.

So, like, what's the appeal of Death Proof? I'm all for cinematic 'hanging out' (ala Rio Bravo), but the dialogue here is terrible - Kevin Smith-esque, even. The film stagnates everytime a female character open their mouth and every actor visibly struggles with their lines, and QT's idea of 'female empowerment' is as glib as can be. A few neat touches here and there (loved the b&w reel) and an undeniably thrilling climax, but overall pretty lousy. Maybe it works better in the context of Grindhouse. After this and Kill Bill I think I'm done with Tarantino, unless he takes some completely different direction.

Bah.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Just got back from seeing the new cut of Blade Runner at the Cinerama here in Seattle. It was pretty cool. This was my second time seeing this film on the big screen, but my first time seeing it on a screen this big; it looks and sounds great. Here is the short review: narration out, unicorn still in, backgrounds and cars look better, and Roy still rules. Although, I do have to say that I think A Scanner Darkly is now the best PKD adaptation. Not to disparage Blade Runner at all, but it has been dethroned as the best representation of Dick's masterful imagination.
    Film wise I think that Blade Runner the DC is better than A Scanner Darkly. However both get a 10.0 from me, and the latter film was barely mentioned at all during 2006, which is a shame considering how awesome it was. Both films are by no means perfect ("Darkly" is messy in some aspects, BR has some scenes that drag) but both are great additions to the sci-fi genre. I'm envious that you got to see the new cut, and I actually think I should check out Dick's work to see the differences between his books and the films that were brought to the screen based on his work. I think the other Dick adaption (very loose in this case) that I've seen is Total Recall(1990) which I'm a big fan of.

I'd state my opinion on Death Proof, but I have many times already. I like it a lot but I will admit its one of QT's lesser works. I fear that QT is entering a creative decline, although Kill Bill Vol. 2 is excellent and is his second best film.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Film wise I think that Blade Runner the DC is better than A Scanner Darkly. However both get a 10.0 from me, and the latter film was barely mentioned at all during 2006, which is a shame considering how awesome it was. Both films are by no means perfect ("Darkly" is messy in some aspects, BR has some scenes that drag) but both are great additions to the sci-fi genre. I'm envious that you got to see the new cut, and I actually think I should check out Dick's work to see the differences between his books and the films that were brought to the screen based on his work. I think the other Dick adaption (very loose in this case) that I've seen is Total Recall(1990) which I'm a big fan of.
    I can't argue which film is best as a stand alone film, but if I had to I would probably give the edge to Blade Runner. However, I do think that ASD more accurately captures the tone and atmosphere of the book it is based upon, and it also captures PKD's complex themes better than BR. In this regard I like ASD more, because it reflects more of things I enjoy about PKD the author. It also has one of my favorite all time performances in it, Robert Downy Jr. as Barris. Barris is one of my favorite literary characters, and Downy nailed his persona.

If you ever do dive into PKD's books, you will be astounded at the differences. Especially in Blade Runner. The book and film are vastly different. However, not as vastly different as Total Recall is to We Can Remember it for You Wholesale.

You're right though, ASD was criminally over looked in 2006. How it didn't win an Oscar for special effects I will never understand. The whole damn movie is an awesome special effect. It also should have been nominated for best adapted screenplay. It's better than any of the noms I've seen.

I don't know if anyone's seen No End in Sight, I had missed it that one week it was in theatres here and couldn't wait for the DVD release. It's easily one of the best films of the year, the information is concise and incriminating without being too exploitive. Not being overtly familiar with the Iraq situation, I found it very easy to understand without pandering to the lowest common denominator. I have a few very minor problems that are barely worth mentioning. Namely, the lack of much altering view points (although, it seemed very few people on the "other" side were willing to be interviewed). I also preferred it when we didn't hear Charles Ferguson asking the questions (which thankfully was very little of the film), because his tone and phrasing was leading or condescending. It also felt a bit too much like an Errol Morris film, but there are worse things Still, highly recommended.

So, like, what's the appeal of Death Proof? I'm all for cinematic 'hanging out' (ala Rio Bravo), but the dialogue here is terrible - Kevin Smith-esque, even. The film stagnates everytime a female character open their mouth and every actor visibly struggles with their lines, and QT's idea of 'female empowerment' is as glib as can be. A few neat touches here and there (loved the b&w reel) and an undeniably thrilling climax, but overall pretty lousy. Maybe it works better in the context of Grindhouse. After this and Kill Bill I think I'm done with Tarantino, unless he takes some completely different direction.

I really like the dialogue even though all the character's sound more like Tarantino talking than actual girls sitting around in a bar. I guess my favorite aspect of the film is how it slowly sheds its 70s grindhouse roots and opens up to the modern world. The cell phone at first seems like an amusing anachronism, but we eventually see what an outsider Stuntman Mike is. He's comfortable only within the film's aesthetic, which beginning with the final chase scene loses the skips, jumps and grimy feel begins to go away. By the time we're in the clean world of mini-van's, he's left castrated and completely inept.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    I can't argue which film is best as a stand alone film, but if I had to I would probably give the edge to Blade Runner. However, I do think that ASD more accurately captures the tone and atmosphere of the book it is based upon, and it also captures PKD's complex themes better than BR. In this regard I like ASD more, because it reflects more of things I enjoy about PKD the author. It also has one of my favorite all time performances in it, Robert Downy Jr. as Barris. Barris is one of my favorite literary characters, and Downy nailed his persona.
    Ah, that makes sense to me. And hah yeah Downy was brilliant at Barris. The film's entire cast was perfectly assembled in my opinion.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis
    If you ever do dive into PKD's books, you will be astounded at the differences. Especially in Blade Runner. The book and film are vastly different. However, not as vastly different as Total Recall is to We Can Remember it for You Wholesale.
    Duly noted, and I figured that as such. Isn't Minority Report another Dick adaptation? I can't remember. And if I have the right low expectations I may even see Paycheck some day.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis
    You're right though, ASD was criminally over looked in 2006. How it didn't win an Oscar for special effects I will never understand. The whole damn movie is an awesome special effect. It also should have been nominated for best adapted screenplay. It's better than any of the noms I've seen.
    The film should have also been nominated for Best Animated Movie. It would have probably won.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    The film should have also been nominated for Best Animated Movie. It would have probably won.
    But the animation purists would have cried like little babies, "Rotoscoping is not animation!" Even though their beloved Disney used the technique.

Duly noted, and I figured that as such. Isn't Minority Report another Dick adaptation? I can't remember. And if I have the right low expectations I may even see Paycheck some day.
    Minority Report is, and it is quite different as well.

I have not read Paycheck, but yes it is also a PKD story.

Out of all the adaptations, Total Recall is probably the most different, but I, too, love the film.

So that's probably why it didn't get nominated? Screw the purists. Darkly looked like animation to me, damnit.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I have only read one PKD book, I'm ashamed to admit. It was Ubik, which I loved. Come to think of it, why haven't I read more? I should get on that.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

I ended up liking Lucky McKee's May more than I thought I would. There was only one real problem I had with it, which was the complete 180 the tone of May's character took for about twenty minutes in there. However, overall, I was very impressed with it. Very well edited, I thought.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I ended up liking Lucky McKee's May more than I thought I would. There was only one real problem I had with it, which was the complete 180 the tone of May's character took for about twenty minutes in there. However, overall, I was very impressed with it. Very well edited, I thought.
    Why the low expectations? I was pleasantly surprised by May as well.

Most of the reactions I've read around here regarding his follow-up The Woods have been overly negative, but I highly recommend it. Approach it as a companion piece to Suspiria.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    Why the low expectations? I was pleasantly surprised by May as well.

Most of the reactions I've read around here regarding his follow-up The Woods have been overly negative, but I highly recommend it. Approach it as a companion piece to Suspiria.
    I'm not sure why low expectations. iosos has been singing its praises for four years, but I thought he was kind of a lone wolf on that one.

Watching the film made me feel guilty about not prioritzing more Argento. I'll try to get to both Suspira and The Woods sooner rather than later.

I'm not sure why low expectations. iosos has been singing its praises for four years, but I thought he was kind of a lone wolf on that one.
    Nope. I'm a big supporter of the movie, and I know that Spinal loves it.

Watching the film made me feel guilty about not prioritzing more Argento. I'll try to get to both Suspira and The Woods sooner rather than later.
    There isn't much of an Argento influence on May IIRC, but there definitely is on The Woods.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **