Page 2850 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 18502350275028002840284828492850285128522860 ... LastLast
Results 71,226 to 71,250 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    The cover would've been perfectly fine without the revolver.
    Probably some twenty-something son of a billionaire got the gun in.

And I've seen the The Fellowship of the Ring nearly double-digit times....

Fox and His Friends is definitely one you want to watch if you want to explore some of Fassbinder's films - Criterion has a great selection of his films.
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 06-19-2021 at 08:45 PM.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    That whole cover is just weird.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    Probably some twenty-something son of a billionaire got the gun in.
    A twenty-something son of a billionaire who hasn't watched the movie.
    Coyote (K. Jerkovic, 2022) ☆
    Uncle from Another World (S. Kawai, 2022-23) ☆
    Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!? + OVA (H. Kaneko/T. Tokoro, 2018-19) ☆
    The Dangers in My Heart, S2 (H. Akagi, 2024) ☆
    Frieren: Beyond Journey's End, S1 (K. Saitō, 2023?24) ☆
    Knocked Up (J. Apatow, 2007) ☆
    Cobra (G. P. Cosmatos, 1986)
    Lawless (J. Hillcoat, 2012) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 & 2 (C. Silverstein, 2022-23) ☆
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (S. Peckinpah, 1974)

First time ☆

I think I found a goof in Sabrina (1954).

[
    ]

I didn't see this in IMDB or anywhere else, so I had to post it. This might be the only time ever I noticed something that no one else did.

So I did finally view Miami Blues. It's a funny, oddly touching at certain points, yet darkly comedic movie. Baldwin and JJL are nice together and Ward is the cop giving chase. The poor guy lost his dentures! This would make for a good double bill with Grosse Point Blank since George Armitage made both films.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Memories of Murder

From a technical standpoint, this film is nearly flawless. The direction is striking: virtuosic, but also restrained, Joon-ho’s preternatural skill and confidence are on full display here. He sets a tone that is elegiac and profoundly human. Part of what stands out, in fact, is how all the characters feel lived-in, their arcs slowly interweaving and becoming more complex. One thing really stands out, though: how funny the script is. I was smiling, if not outright laughing, for a surprising number of scenes, considering the overall melancholy of the film. At the end of the day, I was left with an odd feeling. Although I should have seen the end coming, I didn’t and how things ultimately turn out is unsettling. I guess everyone does return to the scene of the crime—both the killers and the cops. ****/*****
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

Glad you enjoyed it.

In my books, Se7en and Memories of Murder are the undisputed champions of modern serial killer thrillers. And nothing really comes close.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Just got two trilogies of Takashi Miike films by Arrow...

The Black Society trilogy
    Dead or Alive trilogy

I freaking love Arrow. Criterion-level quality.

Quote Quoting quido8_5 (view post)
    From a technical standpoint, this film is nearly flawless. The direction is striking: virtuosic, but also restrained, Joon-ho’s preternatural skill and confidence are on full display here. He sets a tone that is elegiac and profoundly human. Part of what stands out, in fact, is how all the characters feel lived-in, their arcs slowly interweaving and becoming more complex. One thing really stands out, though: how funny the script is. I was smiling, if not outright laughing, for a surprising number of scenes, considering the overall melancholy of the film. At the end of the day, I was left with an odd feeling. Although I should have seen the end coming, I didn’t and how things ultimately turn out is unsettling. I guess everyone does return to the scene of the crime—both the killers and the cops. ****/*****
    I'd give it about the same score myself, since I found it to be quite engaging in general; I still maintain that it would've been slightly better if it hadn't fabricated as many plot details as it did, like the unnecessary [
    ]

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Glad you enjoyed it.
    In my books, Se7en and Memories of Murder are the undisputed champions of modern serial killer thrillers. And nothing really comes close.
    Don't forget about Silence Of The Lambs; after all, it's unsure whether certain modern "serial thrillers" would even exist if it wasn't for Demme's movie in the first place.

How are we defining "modern" serial killer thrillers? What historical shift occurred in the early '90s that makes The Silence of the Lambs "modern" and Manhunter a "classic" serial killer movie (along with M, The Leopard Man, Peeping Tom, and Psycho)? After all, a lot of the films being cited here as "modern" are already pretty old (Demme's film is now thirty years old), suggesting that the only reason for making a distinction between classic and modern is to tacitly acknowledge that the films in the latter category aren't as good as those in the former (and for all its genuine virtues, Se7en strikes me as considerably less impressive than the films by Lang, Tourneur, Powell, and Hitchcock), and that it's unfair to even compare them. In other words, the distinction here between modern and classic functions to disguise a type of affirmative action for latter day filmmakers who were unfortunate enough to begin their careers after the collapse of the old studio system that nurtured Lang, Hitchcock, Powell, and Tourneur, and after its genres had been largely exhausted.
    Last edited by baby doll; 06-24-2021 at 08:21 AM.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Anyone seen Archenemy yet?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Anyone seen Archenemy yet?
    It was really good.

Like, really REALLY good.

Between 2013-2016 or thereabouts, I stopped watching movies and thus stopped participating in Match Cut. When I came back, I noticed a lot of users I remembered had gone, and more still have stopped posting in the past five years. I came across some of these users as I went through some of my older posts and wondered what their final contribution to MC had been.

[
    ]

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, or if the post itself is appropriate. But I thought someone else might like to reminisce.

Thanks for that.

I miss all of them. Every single one.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    Between 2013-2016 or thereabouts, I stopped watching movies and thus stopped participating in Match Cut. When I came back, I noticed a lot of users I remembered had gone, and more still have stopped posting in the past five years. I came across some of these users as I went through some of my older posts and wondered what their final contribution to MC had been.

[]

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, or if the post itself is appropriate. But I thought someone else might like to reminisce.
    I wonder why number8 stopped posting. It's his website after all.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Duke should change his name and see how long it takes for d_davis to notice.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Duke should change his name and see how long it takes for d_davis to notice.
    I don't think he comes around here anymore.

He has a YouTube channel and some other stuff going on.

origami_mustache went out in style lol
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    If people really wanted d_davis to stick around I would have been dropped as admin immediately. No one said a peep.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    If people really wanted d_davis to stick around I would have been dropped as admin immediately. No one said a peep.
    I don't get involved in PvP

[]

Man, seeing some of those names again really takes me back...

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    How are we defining "modern" serial killer thrillers? What historical shift occurred in the early '90s that makes The Silence of the Lambs "modern" and Manhunter a "classic" serial killer movie (along with M, The Leopard Man, Peeping Tom, and Psycho)? After all, a lot of the films being cited here as "modern" are already pretty old (Demme's film is now thirty years old), suggesting that the only reason for making a distinction between classic and modern is to tacitly acknowledge that the films in the latter category aren't as good as those in the former (and for all its genuine virtues, Se7en strikes me as considerably less impressive than the films by Lang, Tourneur, Powell, and Hitchcock), and that it's unfair to even compare them. In other words, the distinction here between modern and classic functions to disguise a type of affirmative action for latter day filmmakers who were unfortunate enough to begin their careers after the collapse of the old studio system that nurtured Lang, Hitchcock, Powell, and Tourneur, and after its genres had been largely exhausted.
    I can't speak for how meg defines it, since I was mostly just following his lead in discussing "modern" serial killer thrillers, but I suppose you could try drawing the line at Silence, given the wave of films in the genre that followed in its wake, after its huge overall success arguably gave those kind of movies something of a boost in popularity. That being said, I do think it would make more sense to draw the line between classic and modern serial killer movies based upon the content they portray, which would put that line much farther back at around 1960, since, while both movies were directed by the same person, there's obviously a significant difference in the level of graphicness of something like Shadow Of A Doubt when compared to Psycho, you know?

[]

Eternity, Mara and rouge follow me on Twitter. I'm also Facebook friends with B-Side, Sven, DaMU and Eternity. Last I checked number8 was on Twitter. Also I thought Winston still posted here. I last saw Izzy on the Corrie no idea where he went when the site was killed off. Wats is on FB but um yeah we are not friends haha.
    Last edited by DFA1979; 06-29-2021 at 04:52 AM.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Silence Of The Lambs (Demme, '91)

And speaking of serial killer thrillers...

Have the lambs stopped

screaming yet?

[
    ]

Final Score: 9

Great review - time for a rewatch!