Page 2823 of 2823 FirstFirst ... 18232323272327732813282128222823
Results 70,551 to 70,554 of 70554

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    "I'll tell you what. The day I need a friend like you, I'll just have myself a little squat and shit one out." --Mrs. Carmody, The Mist

One of the great wtf moments I can remember in "recent" memory. At least, that's what I thought before the events of the last few years. Now it just seems like an accurate portrayal of the melodramatic, self-victimizing, insane evangelical white woman. Now, after seeing so many videos of these folks in action calling the police on Black people and screaming about Jesus, this proto-Karen hits different, as they say.
    Oh absolutely. Especially since so many white women voted for Trump.
    Blog!

Now, here I go again, I see
    The crystal vision
    I keep my visions to myself
    It's only me, who wants to
    Wrap around your dreams and
    Have you any dreams you'd like to sell
    Dreams of loneliness

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    I liked Funny Games but I wanted a movie that didn't feature any winking nods to the camera. When the flick is being relentless and brutal I was engaged. I feel that Scream did the meta thing better even if Funny Games has the superior ending.
    Aren't the winking nods kind of the whole point, that the film isn't relentless and brutal for the sake of being relentless and brutal but that it produces a reaction and then forces the spectator to think about their reactions? In that sense, Haneke's film is doing something rather different than Craven's film, which is playfully revising some of the conventions of the slasher film in order to produce a response without fundamentally questioning the genre's aims and means.
    Just because...
    Yumeji (Suzuki Seijun, 1991) warm
    Noroît (une vengeance) (Jacques Rivette, 1976) mild
    Boyz N the Hood (John Singleton, 1991) warm

The last book I read was...
    Theogony, Works and Days, Elegies by Hesiod and Theognis

The (New) World

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I think he has other movies where he believes there's a lot more within his movie that what's actually there.
    Ironically, I feel this way about Funny Games but not about most of his other films.

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Aren't the winking nods kind of the whole point, that the film isn't relentless and brutal for the sake of being relentless and brutal but that it produces a reaction and then forces the spectator to think about their reactions? In that sense, Haneke's film is doing something rather different than Craven's film, which is playfully revising some of the conventions of the slasher film in order to produce a response without fundamentally questioning the genre's aims and means.
    I know, it's just that I liked that Haneke made a nasty slasher film with bite that wasn't afraid to go against Hollywood conventions. I never got the hate it received.
    Blog!

Now, here I go again, I see
    The crystal vision
    I keep my visions to myself
    It's only me, who wants to
    Wrap around your dreams and
    Have you any dreams you'd like to sell
    Dreams of loneliness