Page 2816 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 181623162716276628062814281528162817281828262866 ... LastLast
Results 70,376 to 70,400 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Every year that goes by I increase what I show my kids. Its delightful.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    I'm really bothered by a trumpet player being focused on while it's obviously a saxophone (nowhere to be seen) at the end of Ms. 45.
    I was amused by that part. Anyways great flick I saw thanks to someone uploading it on YouTube.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    It is fun to show people a movie you love that they have never seen. Reminds me of how many great first time watches I had last year and how I'm aiming to do more of that this year.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Watched Akira last night. One of the great action movies. While the rudimentary facial animations generally hold the movie back a little, they work in its favor in the one moment where Kaneda gives this goofy grin to the officer holding up his grizzled ID... Damn that was funny.

Of course I immediately thought of Skitch.

EDIT: Does this qualify as a disaster movie? I know Duke has a disaster movies list on lb.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 02-01-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Watched Akira last night. One of the great action movies. While the rudimentary facial animations generally hold the movie back a little, they work in its favor in the one moment where Kaneda gives this goofy grin to the officer holding up his grizzled ID... Damn that was funny.

EDIT: Does this qualify as a disaster movie? I know Duke has a disaster movies list on lb.
    I classified it as PPost-Apocalypse but not disaster since you see very little disaster.

Disaster needs to focus primarily on destruction.

I dont see much Dystopian in it either.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Watched The Little Things. Pretty boilerplate in a lotta ways, but it's mildly diverting. Washington is solid per usual. Dunno why so many people have issue with Malek. Dude can't help being a little bug-eyed. Thought he did good work. Leto, as slimy and repulsive as he very likely is irl, is kind of hilarious here, can't lie. The aural landscape (score and song choices) is...a lot, let a heavy wet blanket on a hot night. Overall, the movie's no great piece, but it's fine.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Watched The Little Things. Pretty boilerplate in a lotta ways, but it's mildly diverting. Washington is solid per usual. Dunno why so many people have issue with Malek. Dude can't help being a little bug-eyed. Thought he did good work. Leto, as slimy and repulsive as he very likely is irl, is kind of hilarious here, can't lie. The aural landscape (score and song choices) is...a lot, let a heavy wet blanket on a hot night. Overall, the movie's no great piece, but it's fine.
    My wife watched it and she loved it. But she loves mostly everything.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I think a lot of people are gonna feel like it tried and failed to be Seven or Zodiac. I'd compare it more to The Pledge, actually, although also still not as good (because TP is terrific).
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

That movie has a little bit of everything. I laugh out loud at that goof ball smile every time.

Vote to make it the new banner.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Vote to make it the new banner.
    Seconded.

Third’ed. Been itching to watch that again recently. Maybe once the basement is finished.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I made a list of my favorite animes on letterboxd. It's a little longer there, but here's the top twenty:

1. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
    2. Spirited Away
    3. Perfect Blue
    4. My Neighbor Totoro
    5. Akira
    6. Only Yesterday
    7. Memories
    8. My Neighbors the Yamadas
    9. A Silent Voice
    10. Ninja Scroll

11. Princess Mononoke
    12. Redline
    13. Belladonna of Sadness
    14. Mind Game
    15. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
    16. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
    17. Tokyo Godfathers
    18. Mirai
    19. Ghost In the Shell
    20. Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade

I would accept that 20 in any order. Memories does not get enough attention!!

Stalker have you seen The Triplets of Bellville? If not, add it to the stack. I need to watch it again.

Your #1 is magnificent but I have no desire to watch it again any time soon.

One of the most heartbreaking film experiences of my adult life.

And SO great to see love for Memories.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I would accept that 20 in any order. Memories does not get enough attention!!

Stalker have you seen The Triplets of Bellville? If not, add it to the stack. I need to watch it again.
    I have you to thank for pointing out Memories. Each of the three shorts was awesome. I guess if I had to choose a least favorite it would be Otomo's Cannon Fodder... Nah, never mind, they're all home runs. Stink Bomb was hilarious.

I'm a big fan of Triplets, but didn't consider it for the list because it's from France.

Also see Grave of the Fireflies.

I have you to thank for pointing out Memories. Each of the three shorts was awesome. I guess if I had to choose a least favorite it would be Otomo's Cannon Fodder... Nah, never mind, they're all home runs. Stink Bomb was hilarious.

I'm a big fan of Triplets, but didn't consider it for the list because it's from France.
    Yah I don't think I'd put it top 20 either, but an interesting film.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Your #1 is magnificent but I have no desire to watch it again any time soon.

One of the most heartbreaking film experiences of my adult life.

And SO great to see love for Memories.
    I get what you mean. It's a very emotional experience, but I can take quite a bit of longing and melancholy. It's tragedies like Barefoot Gen and Grave of the Fireflies that I can handle only so much of.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Also see Grave of the Fireflies.
    I rewatched this recently after not seeing it in ages. It's simply too miserable an experience for me to say I love it. I've come to get my Takahata jollies elsewhere.

I rewatched this recently after not seeing it in ages. It's simply too miserable an experience for me to say I love it. I've come to get my Takahata jollies elsewhere.
    I watched once...many many years ago lol. Your assessment is fair.

Anime movies tend to do this annoying thing where something happens and then the characters say that thing is happening (i.e. When Marnie Was There: girl is alone at the beach, it starts raining. Girl: "It's raining!" Yeah, thanks, I could tell). Doesn't it bother anyone else?

In general I've found that the only anime I can go for is Ghibli, and even then only some of them, although I did really like Perfect Blue. I should rewatch Akira one of these days.

Makoto Shinkai and Mamoru Hosoda have made some pretty wonderful stuff.

--Homer

I generally really like Ghibli stuff, but I was super disappointed by Ponyo.

My expectations for Ponyo were super low and I thought it was decent.

My theory is there is an anime for everyone.