Page 2815 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 181523152715276528052813281428152816281728252865 ... LastLast
Results 70,351 to 70,375 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Yeh it's was critically acclaimed here. http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...highlight=Guys

After Gossling's early work, being a bland, emotionless sack of meat, this was very refreshing.
    But who else could've played his role in Blade Runner 2049 any better than he did? Wait, I know who...

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I just love discovering new content, and new content creators.

Can we all collectively agree to refer to movies, music, books, art, games as "content" now?

Man, Stanley Kubrick...what an incredible content creator.
    IP and Content discussions will give me a stroke someday

Billy Wilder's The Major and the Minor is a pretty decent movie, but man, is it uncomfortable to watch with modern sensibilities. You really have to suspend all your cynicism and try to take it at face value, which I honestly found impossible.

Watched Meatballs on HBO Max over the course of a couple sittings. I hadn't seen it in, geez, who knows how long. I remember it playing on TV a few times as a young kid and really enjoying it, and I honestly don't think I've seen it since. It's ... all right. It feels like Animal House Lite, honestly. Bill Murray carries this movie through the finish line. Had they cast somebody else as Tripper, I don't know whether it would have been as enjoyable. 6/10 from me, and 6 of those points go to Murray.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Watched Joker last night. Was initially disinterested in watching it, but after it came out and there was so much hype around it, I decided I'd watch it someday. Last night was someday. I did enjoy it, but I think my expectations were a little skewed. It felt pretty generic and all of the Gotham stuff felt a little shoe-horned in. It also felt a little overlong, but that could just be because I'm not as invested in DC movies. I mean, I'd sit through a 6-hour Marvel movie of Captain America sorting his sock drawer, and then argue with C about how integral it was to the story that we know how many different patterns he has, so ... there you go.

7/10

I generally like when directors are given the artistic freedom to pursue their strangest ideas, but Only God Forgives is an example of what can go wrong.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Watched Joker last night. Was initially disinterested in watching it, but after it came out and there was so much hype around it, I decided I'd watch it someday. Last night was someday. I did enjoy it, but I think my expectations were a little skewed. It felt pretty generic and all of the Gotham stuff felt a little shoe-horned in. It also felt a little overlong, but that could just be because I'm not as invested in DC movies. I mean, I'd sit through a 6-hour Marvel movie of Captain America sorting his sock drawer, and then argue with C about how integral it was to the story that we know how many different patterns he has, so ... there you go.

7/10

Isn't Chris Evans magnetic in the role?

One thing that the MCU consistently nailed was casting. Always just, freaking perfect.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Isn't Chris Evans magnetic in the role?
    I remember when he was cast in the role and I thought, "Human Torch? HIM? Oh, boy." But, yeah, he perfectly embodied Cap. It should come as no surprise that I'm a massive, drooling MCU fan, too, though. They are the few movies that actually make me feel like a kid again. I just get so giddy and excited when I'm going to see them in the theater for the first time. As you might have guessed, I'm jazzed about finally getting to see Black Widow in a few months.

ANYWAY.

I watched The World According to Garp last night on HBO Max. I don't think I've seen it since I was a little kid obsessed with Robin Williams. My only memories of it were, "This isn't very funny," and feeling weird about how much sex there was. (I think I was 12 at the time.) It's not a bad movie, but it does feel like it's missing its center. I didn't get a sense that it was conveying a message or a theme. It was just Garp's life and all of its relative randomness. I got some of the comedic irony woven throughout the story, but aside from that ... I don't know. I can see why it wasn't a huge hit. 6/10

Rewatched The Winter Soldier the other night.

While I still love it, is anyone else bothered by the insane inconsistency of Cap's strength?

Rewatched The Winter Soldier the other night.

While I still love it, is anyone else bothered by the insane inconsistency of Cap's strength?
    I don't remember much inconsistency on that front in that movie; could you give an example of that?

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    I don't remember much inconsistency on that front in that movie; could you give an example of that?
    In the beginning scene when he is infiltrating the boat, he is literally kicking and punching guys overboard, like they are flies.

Then when he fights Batroc, who we are given no reason to believe is super powered in any way, they are both exchanging blows like regular guys fighting.

Same goes for the elevator fight scene. If he is strong enough to kick and punch people and cause them to go flying 20 feet, why is this even a challenge for him?

In Civil War he uses his bare hands to keep a helicopter from taking off.

How is any non-superpowered person a challenge to fight in any way?
    Last edited by megladon8; 01-25-2021 at 07:49 PM.

In the beginning scene when he is infiltrating the boat, he is literally kicking and punching guys overboard, like they are flies.

Then when he fights Batroc, who we are given no reason to believe is super powered in any way, they are both exchanging blows like regular guys fighting.

Same goes for the elevator fight scene. If he is strong enough to kick and punch people and cause them to go flying 20 feet, why is this even a challenge for him?

In Civil War he uses his bare hands to keep a helicopter from taking off.

How is any non-superpowered person a challenge to fight in any way?
    Well, I suppose the solution to that would've either been to tone down Cap's powers (or remove them entirely), or reconfigure the story so that everyone who gives Cap a real fight (like Batroc or Brock) are also fellow super-soldiers just like the Winter Soldier, but I don't care that much about the inconsistency; as I've said before, I don't get too hung up on plot holes for the same reason why no one says so-and-so movie is one of their favorites for how much ​sense the plot makes, and delving too deep into details like these would only remind of the episode of Half In The Bag for Avengers: Endgame, where it feels like they spend half the episode complaining about the inconsistent portrayal of Thanos's powers pre-Infinity Stones. They're technically correct, yes but it's still a dreadfully uninteresting line of discussion anyway, and I'm not really looking to turn into the CinemaSins guys (shudder), or the "magic xylophone" guy from The Simpsons​, y'know?:

Last edited by StuSmallz; 01-26-2021 at 06:29 AM.

I rewatched Ghost In the Shell (1995 anime) and thoroughly enjoyed it, but found myself wishing it were a bit longer so as to fully explore all the thought-provoking themes. Then I noticed Ghost in the Shell (2017 ScarJo live action remake) was in fact a bit longer. Could this be the film I was looking for?

Hahaha... No.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    The 1995 Ghost in the Shell was one of my favorite viewing experiences from last year. I have zero desire to view the live action version.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    The 1995 Ghost in the Shell was one of my favorite viewing experiences from last year. I have zero desire to view the live action version.
    FWIW, the live action version is not complete trash. It's just dumbed down and formulaic, as one might expect or fear from a big-budget American remake. Its worst bits are the things they changed, and the best bits are the things they copied. So there's pretty much no reason for it to exist in the first place.

If anyone remembers the whitewashing controversy surrounding the casting of ScarJo -- considering the underlying themes of gender dysphoria, host bodies, etc. (which are much better explored in the original), if there's a movie where a studio can "get away" with whitewashing it just might be this one. But still, nah.

Relevant vid is relevant:

Agree with stalker. It also felt like it was made by someone who didnt watch the original enough.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Had an excellent trailer though.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Speaking of anime, I have had the urge to revisit The Fist of the Northstar film that I had on VHS decades ago.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Anyone seen the indie sci fi flick from a couple years back, Kin?

Anyone seen the indie sci fi flick from a couple years back, Kin?
    I didn't but I want to. Just didn't get around to it.

Watched back to back Infinity War and Into the Spider-Verse. Both were second time watches.

Infinity War has incredible moments of both action and humor, and I loved that they just said "fuck it" and went full comic book craziness, especially with Iron Man's armor which has zero grounding in reality anymore.

But it is utterly exhausting. Sensory overload, plot overload. It's a 2-1/2 hour movie that still felt like it was on fast forward.

Into the Spider-Verse may be one of the best pieces if superhero cinema of all time. Every single element is incredible.

Facts!

I'm really bothered by a trumpet player being focused on while it's obviously a saxophone (nowhere to be seen) at the end of Ms. 45.

Watching Jaws 4k with the GF tonight after much persuasion. Which was me doing my damndest to convince her it's not too scary or bloody and that since she survived Planet Earth 2, she was going to be fine. It's just a man VS nature Flick, adventure on rough seas. Super Stoked!!! She's never seen it. Are you all like that too? Thrilled to share some of your faves with the missus or friends?

And it doesn't end there. Close encounters is next, then Indy 1-3. Whoop Whoop!
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]