Page 2809 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 180923092709275927992807280828092810281128192859 ... LastLast
Results 70,201 to 70,225 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

I didnt get much out of Robot Carnival other than nostalgia for the hand drawn. It was worth a watch. The first short was the best. Add Mamouru Oshiis Memories to that list. That flick is sweet.
    Last edited by Skitch; 12-14-2020 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I haven't seen it, but it's on my radar and free on Prime Video. I'll make sure it's among the selections for my next anime binge, along with Pom Poko, Robot Carnival, Belladonna of Sadness, Tokyo Godfathers, and something from Momaru Hosoda.
    Pom Poko is great. I haven't seen Tokyo Godfathers but the John Ford original is worth checking out (especially if you're looking for a movie to watch at Christmas).
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Good for him.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Good for him.
    You mean: "Ohhh good for him"

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I don't get it?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I don't get it?
    Bale

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Bale-out and Howard Dean remixes gonna have a third in Cruise Covid control

Producer
    Finally completed the Lethal Weapon franchise, after only having watched the first one once back in 2009. Surprisingly sturdy action-comedy series, and the one I like the least still has the hallmark of what makes others work (just that more than a few scenes of that one finally crossed over into played-for-laugh police brutality that makes my skin crawl too much).

Lethal Weapon (1987) - 8/10

First watch was on a USA bus trip over a decade ago, and I'd forgotten how Christmas-y this is, even more than the ubiquitously-memed Die Hard. And coming back to write on this after finishing out the franchise, I was struck by how much of a difference a Shane Black script makes. The buddy chemistry, the cleanly staged and elaborated action, and the comedy remain consistent staples throughout the films, but Black gives this first outing a darker, more existential edge that gives the film a tight internal arc, making it still the best of them. The effect of Murtaugh's family on Riggs is somehow improbably moving, aided by Glover's easy-going presence and Gibson's performance, which is quietly observant in most of the family scenes, the better to let his yearning bubbling up beneath the hardened facade.

Lethal Weapon 2 (1989) - 7/10

As Riggs' character arc that drives the initial relationship between him and Murtaugh basically ended in the first film, this sequel instead wisely turns up the camaraderie between them, and also between other characters as well, both at home and the station. The result is half the film having an infectious hang-out atmosphere with a cast that's a pleasure to spend time with, and often very funny banter. Less successful is the main crime half, in which the film can't juggle the jokey tone into establishing it as serious driving plot, especially when some heavy reveals come later on. At least the action remains ace, even as it grows bigger and more cartoonish than before. And they put the best one up first too, with that gleefully escalating opening car chase.

Lethal Weapon 3 (1992) - 5.5/10

I'd never know for sure, but I imagine even years ago most of Riggs' antics here would already trouble me, pushing the already toeing-the-line edge of the second film to actively crossing it in this one. Watching this now, especially in this year, I just can't stop wincing for people at the receiving end and it greatly sours the film. A shame, really, because the mix of sturdy action/goofy comedy outsides of that aspect remains as winning as ever, and Rene Russo is a great addition to the team.

Lethal Weapon 4 (1998) - 6.5/10

Funniest of the four, asides from racist jokes revolving around Uncle Benny (although knowing this has Asian villains going in, I was expecting much worse considering it's a 90s actioner with Mel Gibson), as the series now evolves fully into a sit-com with always good action. The second one still ranks higher because it has a more consistently good-time hangout atmosphere, but this might have a better villain plot. Donner still aces the action scenes throughout as well, with this one's insane freeway chase among the franchise's best.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Funny, I like the 3rd the best.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    My favorite is Lethal Weapon 2. I love the first two, like the third one and dislike the 4th.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Like the first and second. Always struggle to remember the third one but still recall liking it. Remember liking the fourth one even though the idea of those two defeating Jet Li (without guns) is over-the-top ridiculous. Sidenote...I own 1-3 on laserdisc. Like a BOSS

Gut memory analysis:

Part 1: Riggs is seriously crazy
    Part 2: Riggs is three stooges crazy. He'll be aight. Another dead girlfriend?? DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY
    Part 3: Something about a housing development and Rene Russo is hot and is this the one where they fuck you at the drive thru? Because my god do they fuck you at the drive thru
    Part 4: I recall a sick car chase (of course it's ridiculous, the all are) that may be on the list with Matrix 2, Bad Boys 2, etc. Riggs hangs off a roof at some point and makes jokes...because hes crazy [sigh], jet li murders the dick outta some people but gets his ass kicked by two old farts. Some poor bastard worked his ass off to produce a urine sample and some little sumbitch stole his sample and dumped it out and stomped on it

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Pom Poko is great. I haven't seen Tokyo Godfathers but the John Ford original is worth checking out (especially if you're looking for a movie to watch at Christmas).
    Tokyo Godfathers is great, especially on Christmas.
    Nayola (J. M. Ribeiro, 2022) ☆
    My First Girlfriend Is a Gal S1 + OVA (H. Furukawa/Y. Ogawa, 2017) ☆
    Hokkaido Gals Are Super Adorable! (M. Hoshino/M. Minato, 2024) ☆
    Correr para Vivir (G. Dorantes, 2024) ☆
    The Bad Guys (P. Perifel, 2022) ☆
    Persepolis (M. Satrapi/V. Paronnaud, 2007)
    Coyote (K. Jerkovic, 2022) ☆
    Uncle from Another World (S. Kawai, 2022-23) ☆
    Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!? + OVA (H. Kaneko/T. Tokoro, 2018-19) ☆
    The Dangers in My Heart, S2 (H. Akagi, 2024) ☆

First time ☆

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    Tokyo Godfathers is great, especially on Christmas.
    I'm going to make this happen this year.

Huge Lethal Weapon fan. Parts 1 and 2 are tops, 2 four star movies no doubt.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

It's just been revoked.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I'm going to make this happen this year.
    Awesome...
    Nayola (J. M. Ribeiro, 2022) ☆
    My First Girlfriend Is a Gal S1 + OVA (H. Furukawa/Y. Ogawa, 2017) ☆
    Hokkaido Gals Are Super Adorable! (M. Hoshino/M. Minato, 2024) ☆
    Correr para Vivir (G. Dorantes, 2024) ☆
    The Bad Guys (P. Perifel, 2022) ☆
    Persepolis (M. Satrapi/V. Paronnaud, 2007)
    Coyote (K. Jerkovic, 2022) ☆
    Uncle from Another World (S. Kawai, 2022-23) ☆
    Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!? + OVA (H. Kaneko/T. Tokoro, 2018-19) ☆
    The Dangers in My Heart, S2 (H. Akagi, 2024) ☆

First time ☆

I've never seen any of the Lethal Weapons in their entirety, but I at least enjoyed The AV Club's write-up for the original in the excellent series they did on the history of the modern Action movie. Also...
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    It's just been revoked.
    "Uh, Peter, she didn't really set you up for that Lethal Weapon line."

"Oh... I'll have what she's having!"

"That's... better?"

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    I've never seen any of the Lethal Weapons in their entirety, but I at least enjoyed The AV Club's write-up for the original in the excellent series they did on the history of the modern Action movie. Also...
    "Uh, Peter, she didn't really set you up for that Lethal Weapon line."

"Oh... I'll have what she's having!"

"That's... better?"
    Thank you Stu. I'm glad I can count on someone here who recognizes my Family Guy referencing Lethal Weapon reference.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Thank you Stu. I'm glad I can count on someone here who recognizes my Family Guy referencing Lethal Weapon reference.
    Oh I got it. One of the funniest moments ever. I died when I saw that when it came out.

Oh good. Rep for you too then.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Yes that Family Guy scene is hilarious. I may have referenced it at work a couple times.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Since we're not going anywhere tonight due to covid, it Will be the first time I Will watch Die Hard on Christmas day. The ultra HD version no less. My GF hasn't seen it yet so that ups the excitement, I promised her it's a christmas Flick. To make sure she wasn't gonna decline this mouthwatering proposal, I offered to watch a real Christmas movie with her. And so it happened that yesterday evening, at eight o clock, we watched Christmas Chronicles together. Absolutely Horrendous, which I didn't Tell her. Told her I'm a big Kurt Russell fan and that he made it watchable. Which he didn't. And that's when you know you're watching a bonafide turd.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

My second anime binge has begun with a whimper:

Tokyo Godfathers was heartfelt, with vividly-written characters living at the fringes of society, and just enough sentimentalism to feel appropriate for Christmas-time while avoiding Hallmark movie vibes. It wasn't nearly the revelation Perfect Blue was, but I'll be glad to revisit it in the future.

I'm quickly becoming an Isao Takahata nut, so I was quite deflated when Pom Poko was unable to rise above its cutesy characters and deliver a fresh take on the man vs. nature dilemma (it certainly doesn't help that only a few years later Ghibli would release the much more thrilling and eloquent Princess Mononoke, which deals in similar themes). The incredible parade sequence about halfway through the film pushed it into "mild yay" territory for a moment, but then the direct-to-audience address at the end--which makes Smokey the Bear look like a master of nuance--solidified it as the first Takahata movie I can't endorse.

Robot Carnival simply isn't what I'm looking for in anime. It may be endearing to think of this anthology as massively creative people (which everyone involved obviously is) playing around with action figures of their own imagination in a limitless sandbox--but in reality it comes across like a bunch of proto-Michael Bay cybertronic nonsense. "Clouds," in which a robot solemnly walks through crude sketches of the history of the universe, was the clear highlight for me. The music reminded me of earlier Final Fantasy games. I should've taken Skitch's advice and skipped it for Memories.

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade or Belladonna of Sadness up next.