Page 2793 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 179322932693274327832791279227932794279528032843 ... LastLast
Results 69,801 to 69,825 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    All of those actors were way less mainstream than they are today. RDJ was the only "star". So I'm not surprised their early signing contracts were so low.
    For sure, but even then, headlining a mainstream Hollywood action-fantasy and earning $150,000 is absurd. Disney/Marvel was really trying to take advantage of them at the time.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    For sure, but even then, headlining a mainstream Hollywood action-fantasy and earning $150,000 is absurd. Disney/Marvel was really trying to take advantage of them at the time.
    I'm not sure it's fair to look at it that way. They knew their mainstream appeal would propel their career after they were done. Regardless of what they were paid upfront, it's been super helpful in their career later.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Would've never thought that Hemsworth had the biggest base salary from Avengers: Endgame.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm not sure it's fair to look at it that way. They knew their mainstream appeal would propel their career after they were done. Regardless of what they were paid upfront, it's been super helpful in their career later.
    Ehhhh...isn't that an awful lot like telling an artist you aren't going to pay them for their work because you're giving them "exposure"?

I get your point, I do. But from a moral principle point of view, it's pretty scummy to short someone because the job may lead to more work in the future.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Ehhhh...isn't that an awful lot like telling an artist you aren't going to pay them for their work because you're giving them "exposure"?

I get your point, I do. But from a moral principle point of view, it's pretty scummy to short someone because the job may lead to more work in the future.
    You aren't shorting anyone if you're a non-name in summer blockbuster world. No one is giving $75 million to Joe Schmo off the street.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    There's no simple formula. If you're "above the line talent," you have what's called a "quote." This is your "I don't get out of bed for less than _____" figure.

You have a different quote for each area of the business. Eg: Ben Affleck gets paid different rates for acting, writing, directing, and producing. This is also why you'll see so many multi-hyphenates around Hollywood. Each credit is a separate paycheck and an additional residual.

This holds even if you're a huge name in one area but unknown in another. Like, if Steve Buscemi wants to direct a movie, his quote for that job will be much lower than the fee he receives for acting.

If you're not above the line, you get union rates.

The studios look to pay as little as possible, and Disney in particular is notorious for underpaying its hires. (Rumor has it Mickey Rourke was offered $250k for "Iron Man 2".)

Actors, directors, and writers always try to increase their quote, usually by working on higher profile, bigger budget projects. This is why beloved indie artists accept a Marvel gigs, because it increases their quote and makes them more hirable.

A-list talent that the studio can advertise against (your Christopher Nolans or Ridley Scotts) will get huge upfront pay, and sometimes points because they're usually producers on their own projects. They're in the $10-$20 million range.

First timers directing for Marvel or Warners on one of their blockbuster superhero projects will earn significantly less. Eg: Patty Jenkins received $1 million for the first "Wonder Woman" but something like $8-9 million for the sequel. (I imagine James Gunn was paid a helluva lot more for "The Suicide Squad" than he was for the first "Guardians of the Galaxy.")

If you're working in the indie world, or you're --- God help you -- a screenwriter, you ain't getting paid shit. (Relatively speaking, at least.) Like, you're making $250-$500k per picture.

This is a pretty good breakdown: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...e-stars-737321
    Last edited by Irish; 08-27-2020 at 08:04 PM.

You aren't shorting anyone if you're a non-name in summer blockbuster world. No one is giving $75 million to Joe Schmo off the street.
    Agreed, but there is quite a bit of difference between $75 million and $150,000.

I feel like they probably could have gone a little higher.

Irish is so in the industry.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    There's no simple formula. If you're "above the line talent," you have what's called a "quote." This is your "I don't get out of bed for less than _____" figure.

You have a different quote for each area of the business. Eg: Ben Affleck gets paid different rates for acting, writing, directing, and producing. This is also why you'll see so many multi-hyphenates around Hollywood. Each credit is a separate paycheck and an additional residual.

This holds even if you're a huge name in one area but unknown in another. Like, if Steve Buscemi wants to direct a movie, his quote for that job will be much lower than the fee he receives for acting.

If you're not above the line, you get union rates.

The studios look to pay as little as possible, and Disney in particular is notorious for underpaying its hires. (Rumor has it Mickey Rourke was offered $250k for "Iron Man 2".)

Actors, directors, and writers always try to increase their quote, usually by working on higher profile, bigger budget projects. This is why beloved indie artists accept a Marvel gigs, because it increases their quote and makes them more hirable.

A-list talent that the studio can advertise against (your Christopher Nolans or Ridley Scotts) will get huge upfront pay, and sometimes points because they're usually producers on their own projects. They're in the $10-$20 million range.

First timers directing for Marvel or Warners on one of their blockbuster superhero projects will earn significantly less. Eg: Patty Jenkins received $1 million for the first "Wonder Woman" but something like $8-9 million for the sequel. (I imagine James Gunn was paid a helluva lot more for "The Suicide Squad" than he was for the first "Guardians of the Galaxy.")

If you're working in the indie world, or you're --- God help you -- a screenwriter, you ain't getting paid shit. (Relatively speaking, at least.) Like, you're making $250-$500k per picture.

This is a pretty good breakdown: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...e-stars-737321
    Thank you SO much for all this info. Seriously, thank you.

So, question based on the second paragraph of your post...

Keeping with the RDJ example. Say he also wrote Avengers Endgame. And he produced it. And hell, let's say he was the cinematographer just for shit and giggles.

Would he get his $100-million paycheck for acting, PLUS a check for writing, PLUS a check for producing, PLUS a check for DP?

And in that case, would someone like, say, Ben Affleck have potentially given up a pretty insane paycheck when he dropped out of The Batman (which he was writing, directing snd starring in)?

He's Troy Duffy.

- - - - -
    LOL, I've said before I'm not. I know one writer-director and I read the trades a lot. That's pretty much it.

But I do get a perverse kick out of fueling your speculation; I was giggling like an idiot as I wrote that last post, because I knew you'd read into it.

- - - - -
    He's Troy Duffy.
    I just looked up Troy Duffy on IMDb and fuck you, Meg!

LOL, I've said before I'm not. I know one writer-director and I read the trades a lot. That's pretty much it.

But I do get a perverse kick out of fueling your speculation; I was giggling like an idiot as I wrote that last post, because I knew you'd read into it.
    How's the script for Boondock Saints 3 coming along?

Get back to filming Avatar 2.

- - - - -
    Thank you SO much for all this info. Seriously, thank you.

So, question based on the second paragraph of your post...

Keeping with the RDJ example. Say he also wrote Avengers Endgame. And he produced it. And hell, let's say he was the cinematographer just for shit and giggles.

Would he get his $100-million paycheck for acting, PLUS a check for writing, PLUS a check for producing, PLUS a check for DP?

And in that case, would someone like, say, Ben Affleck have potentially given up a pretty insane paycheck when he dropped out of The Batman (which he was writing, directing snd starring in)?
    Strictly speaking, every job is separate and carries with it a different paycheck and residual. (I mean, keep in mind these are all union gigs, too.)

It gets a little muddier when you talk about ownership roles (producing) and movie stars setting up their own production companies and optioning the rights to different IP on their own.

But essentially, the answer to your question is: yes, at least as I understand the business.

ETA: This is also why you'll sometimes see people do weird shit you wouldn't expect them to do, like directing an episode of network TV or producing a low budget movie or whatever --- they're likely trying to establish their quote in a different area of the business.
    Last edited by Irish; 08-27-2020 at 08:39 PM.

Would be the best thing Match Cut ever had to find out that the reason Avatar movies were delayed so long was because James Cameron was having a debate with Skitch and megladon8 on a message board.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Strictly speaking, every job is separate and carries with it a different paycheck and residual. (I mean, keep in mind these are all union gigs, too.)

It gets a little muddier when you talk about ownership roles (producing) and movie stars setting up their own production companies and optioning the rights to different IP on their own.

But essentially, the answer to your question is: yes, at least as I understand the business.
    So when you totally fumbled the production of Boondock Saints, how did you manage to secure funding for the sequel?

I mean, you were blacklisted mate.

I still think Irish is in the film industry, I just think we misjudged which film industry.

I bet right now he's hard at work writing the script for "Busty Asian Milf Creampied by Total Stranger"

He's Troy Duffy.
    He IS Irush.

I still think Irish is in the film industry, I just think we misjudged which film industry.

I bet right now he's hard at work writing the script for "Busty Asian Milf Creampied by Total Stranger"
    *runs off to secure bustyasianmilfcreampiedbytotal stranger.com*

- - - - -
    Just to mess with you, I'm gonna disappear right before big events and premieres and then come back and be all, "Oh hai guys I just got back from London and ... yeah total coincidence Tom Cruise was just there for Tenet and ... "

One thing I forgot: Your scenario here is technically impossible because union rules prohibit a studio director from being their own DP.

I mention it because I find these sorts of wrinkles fascinating and I remember Robert Rodriguez talking about it in his book "Rebel Without a Crew." There's a similar weirdness around editing, too.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    *runs off to secure bustyasianmilfcreampiedbytotal stranger.com*
    He love you long time!

Just to mess with you, I'm gonna disappear right before big events and premieres and then come back and be all, "Oh hai guys I just got back from London and ... yeah total coincidence Tom Cruise was just there for Tenet and ... "

One thing I forgot: Your scenario here is technically impossible because union rules prohibit a studio director from being their own DP.

I mention it because I find these sorts of wrinkles fascinating and I remember Robert Rodriguez talking about it in his book "Rebel Without a Crew." There's a similar weirdness around editing, too.
    Oh yeah I remember that with Rodriguez!

Didn't he get in some trouble, too, when he let Frank Miller have a directing credit for one of the segments in Sin City?

- - - - -
    Oh yeah I remember that with Rodriguez!

Didn't he get in some trouble, too, when he let Frank Miller have a directing credit for one of the segments in Sin City?
    Yeah, he had to resign from the DGA for Miller to get that credit.

Okay well I'll let you get back to your Asian milf thing.

Thanks for all the info!