Page 2792 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 179222922692274227822790279127922793279428022842 ... LastLast
Results 69,776 to 69,800 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Thats rad.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Criterion releasing huge Fellini set later this year.

https://thefilmstage.com/the-criteri...5-disc-box-set

I may pick it up for Nights of Cabiria alone, since I haven't been able to track that out-of-print one down yet. Plus there are several others I have enormous fondness for besides.
    I'll probably get that during the next sale they have.

Yxklyx those posters are pretty sweet.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    I'll probably get that during the next sale they have.

Yxklyx those posters are pretty sweet.
    I get to see them all again on Friday - will need to see if they have one for X: The Man with the X-ray Eyes. I think they have over 100 posters all over the place. There's a Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger one in the room where they poke at my eyes.

Ah, Red River - watched this for the third time. It's a John Wayne film, but he's subverted maybe for the first time in film? And I think Tom Cruise thinks he's Montgomery Clift's reincarnation. Many animals must have been hurt or killed in the making of this film.

The Green-Eyed Blonde looks like it could be interesting - it was written by Trumbo. The Crawling Eye had my attention for about two thirds of its runtime.
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 08-19-2020 at 03:36 AM.

I love old school movie posters.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Thanks for sharing those, I freaking love stuff like that.

Old school movie posters are just...*chef kiss*

Speaking of high-quality posters, check out this new poster for Eternal Beauty with Sally Hawkins and David Thewlis:

Now that is just...just....fucking bone-rattlingly bad. Someone did this working from home while deep in conversation with their mother-in-law, nauseous from days-old Chinese leftovers and fending off multiple wasps.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Their faces both look really weird.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Speaking of shitty posters:

Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Fort Apache, The Bronx is really, really great stuff.

A touch ham fisted in a few moments (the baby delivery being a bit eyeroll worthy), but the performances all around are so damn good, and it's always a treat to see the real old New York.

Loved it to bits. Can't believe I hadn't seen it before.

Saw Charley Varrick about 15 years ago, loved it.

Watched it again last night. Still great.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Saw Charley Varrick about 15 years ago, loved it.

Watched it again last night. Still great.
    I love that one. Walter Matthau rules.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

The Defunctland doc on a forgotten band named HALYX is really cool. The full documentary is free on youtube:
    https://youtu.be/f0rDLvg-Lfs

Here's a question for Irish, or anyone else who is knowledgeable regarding the financial workings of movie making...

How much do directors get paid, and how does it compare to the acting talent?

Say you're talking about Avengers: Endgame. RDJ reportedly got $75-million for that one movie alone.

Approx. how much did the Russo brothers get? Is it comparable to A list actors? Significantly less?

A director like Christopher Nolan who is (like him or not) ome of the biggest names in the business currently. What's his paycheck going to look like from something like Tenet?

Is it a set amount, or does it have more to do with how the movie performs?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    It's all about how the deal is written up. Just like how much money an athlete gets.

And we know Nolan was getting a piece of the backend for Tenet. That was part of why he didn't want to delay the movie.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I guess what I'm asking is, do directors get paid comparably to the on screen talent?

Or is it a completely different animal when you're behind the camera?

I have no actual knowledge about this, but I would expect it varies wildly based on the directors and stars. In the example you gave, there's no way the Russo brothers are getting anything near RDJ because (no matter one's opinion on how good a job they did) they are replaceable, while RDJ is not. Conversely, I would guess Christopher Nolan made far more compared to the cast of Dunkirk than he did compared to the cast of The Prestige.

I guess what I'm asking is, do directors get paid comparably to the on screen talent?

Or is it a completely different animal when you're behind the camera?
    I think it depends on the director/actor. Plenty of "financially solid" directors cut paid upfront fee. Directors that cross the line in to billion dollar territory get to mix up there deal with upfront fee plus back end. Ditto certain actors.

That's my perception anyway.

In addition to the salary, Downey got a percentage backend for the Avengers movies, so he probably made well over $100 million for each one.

I think I read that the Russo Brothers also got a certain percentage of the backend as well.

They must have some great agents.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    They must have some great agents.
    I bet negotiating with Disney is way easier than other studios. Disney can leverage the IP in so many different ways and platforms that they are willing to give up Box office numbers for merch or theme park events.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I bet negotiating with Disney is way easier than other studios. Disney can leverage the IP in so many different ways and platforms that they are willing to give up Box office numbers for merch or theme park events.
    Didn't even think of this. Very true.

Would the Disney / Marvel actors also be getting a cut from theme parks because their likeness is uses everywhere?

Would the Disney / Marvel actors also be getting a cut from theme parks because their likeness is uses everywhere?
    I'm guessing part of signing up to become a character in a series of marvel films, you forgo that privilege to receive royalties if they are used somewhere, like action figures and stuff.

But that's why the new Avengers game they used completely different designs of the characters because maybe that wasn't specifically spelled out in those film deals.

They'd have to, right?

I'm guessing part of signing up to become a character in a series of marvel films, you forgo that privilege to receive royalties if they are used somewhere, like action figures and stuff.

But that's why the new Avengers game they used completely different designs of the characters because maybe that wasn't specifically spelled out in those film deals.
    Speaking of...

*heads over to the video game thread*

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Maybe it is now, but my memory is that RDJ leveraged his own place in the series to get the other stars to make some real money. Hemsworth made $150,000 on the first Thor. He made $70 mil+ with the most recent flick. Insanity.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Maybe it is now, but my memory is that RDJ leveraged his own place in the series to get the other stars to make some real money. Hemsworth made $150,000 on the first Thor. He made $70 mil+ with the most recent flick. Insanity.
    All of those actors were way less mainstream than they are today. RDJ was the only "star". So I'm not surprised their early signing contracts were so low.