Page 2785 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 178522852685273527752783278427852786278727952835 ... LastLast
Results 69,601 to 69,625 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    "Having or showing intelligence, especially of a high level." I think that's the textbook definition according to Google.
    That's a rather circular definition.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Wrote something about Batman Returns not too long ago, and long review short, "smooth storytelling isn't really the main appeal of the film, in light of its incredible style and atmosphere, balancing out the inherent artificiality of its soundstage-bound Gotham City with a rich, chilly Christmas time ambience, as the typically cheerful spirit of the holiday makes for a great seasonal contrast with the film's overall tortured, cynical tone, and Returns also greatly benefits from Stefan Czapsky's grand, elegantly sweeping cinematography, Danny Elfman's darkly whimsical score, Bo Welch's gothic production design, which withers Gotham under the granite stare of massive, ominipresent statues, and of course, Burton's macabre stylistic flourishes, and incredibly colorful, limitless sense of imagination (or at least, so it seemed at this point in his career... ahem)".
    Last edited by StuSmallz; 07-09-2020 at 06:48 AM.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    That's a rather circular definition.
    Take it up with Google, I guess.

Batman Returns is one flick everyone likes way more than I do. Still it's a decent flick.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Take it up with Google, I guess.
    I have to say, you're not being terribly helpful in terms of clarifying your opinion. If you're going to claim that certain films are or are not intelligent, you should have the courtesy to explain the criteria by which you make such judgements. Given that films are inanimate and thus incapable of thought, it's not at all self-evident where one would locate the intelligence of a particular film.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Batman Returns is one flick everyone likes way more than I do. Still it's a decent flick.
    You might have more support on that opinion than you think. Having grown up with those films I will always appreciate them, but the gun bomb using batman makes me roll my eyes hard.

Well, what is an intelligent movie? I guess a movie which doesn't betray the rules of its own universe, with characters who behalve in a realistic manner given the events occuring around them. If the scripts a good one, then the movie's intelligent. Something like that? And such a script can be Spartan. If it establishes Steven Seagal as being proficient in Martial arts, and he's able to clean up a whole room of scum, then the movie's sorta intelligent. Doesn't Mean it's good, or original or super engaging but the man can fight. Arms are gonna be broken.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Well, what is an intelligent movie? I guess a movie which doesn't betray the rules of its own universe, with characters who behalve in a realistic manner given the events occuring around them. If the scripts a good one, then the movie's intelligent. Something like that? And such a script can be Spartan. If it establishes Steven Seagal as being proficient in Martial arts, and he's able to clean up a whole room of scum, then the movie's sorta intelligent. Doesn't Mean it's good, or original or super engaging but the man can fight. Arms are gonna be broken.
    Intelligent Sci-Fi
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Holy shit was that thread my fault??

http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...l=1#post411828

I'm getting a google warning when clicking on that.

Or going to this page of the thread. http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...l-Remake/page6

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I get that too.

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    I wouldn't equate coherence with intelligence. It seems to me there are a couple different ways you could define an "intelligent" movie:

• Movies about intelligent characters (e.g., Trouble in Paradise)
    • Movies in which the narrative is constructed in such a way as to achieve particular effects (the suppression of exposition combined with cross-cutting in The Terminator to lead the spectator to make incorrect inferences about the characters)
    • Movies in which the action is staged to achieve maximum clarity and impact (Police Story)
    • Movies whose narrative complexity make unusual cognitive demands on the spectator (October)
    • Movies in which narrative information is presented elliptically (A Brighter Summer Day)
    • Movies whose narratives are clear but whose implied meanings are elusive (Teorema)
    • Movies that make spectators feel smart for watching them

And there are probably others I didn't think of.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Can we talk about Heat for a moment? What's up with DiNiro's character motivation at the end? Are we supposed to accept the flawed nature of wrapping things up and not letting Bosko "get away" with what he did? Instead of walking away clean?

Because let's step through his character mistakes.

1) attempted to kill Bosko in the parking lot of the diner and subsequently letting him get away in the first place

2) you knew after entering the hotel at the end, the police were staked out because you saw the shotgun at the concierge station

3) even after knowing the hotel is staked out, you go up to the hotel room and make a sloppy exit in the hallway

4) exiting the hotel at the end, and walking away from his girl, seemingly thinks he has everything solved until he sees Pacino running down the street

It just seemed like sloppy choices towards the end.

Closer. Is that a sex movie? Not a lot of sex in it, just a whole lot of dirty talk. I think it might count, not sure.

Can we talk about Heat for a moment? What's up with DiNiro's character motivation at the end? Are we supposed to accept the flawed nature of wrapping things up and not letting Bosko "get away" with what he did? Instead of walking away clean?

Because let's step through his character mistakes.

1) attempted to kill Bosko in the parking lot of the diner and subsequently letting him get away in the first place

2) you knew after entering the hotel at the end, the police were staked out because you saw the shotgun at the concierge station

3) even after knowing the hotel is staked out, you go up to the hotel room and make a sloppy exit in the hallway

4) exiting the hotel at the end, and walking away from his girl, seemingly thinks he has everything solved until he sees Pacino running down the street

It just seemed like sloppy choices towards the end.
    I think it was to show how deeply hurt he was that Pacino kind of "broke the code" to screw him over.

The whole movie is about the idea that cops and criminals (professional ones, at least), while being rivals, still have an unspoken code of conduct and almost brotherhood.

Pacino hurt him on a personal level, and he is retaliating in an emotional way rather than cold and professional.

I finally made a letterboxd account and spent some time today rating movies. Went to "popular films," had it show 18 films per page, then told myself I would stop rating once I reached a page with no movies I'd seen. Ended up being 1449 movies. I followed some of you. Idiotequestalkr.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Closer. Is that a sex movie? Not a lot of sex in it, just a whole lot of dirty talk. I think it might count, not sure.
    Not really, but it's been a while since something even close to that level of sex in movies, so I'll give it a pass.

Great movie though. Love the dialog.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I really like Closer.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I finally made a letterboxd account and spent some time today rating movies. Went to "popular films," had it show 18 films per page, then told myself I would stop rating once I reached a page with no movies I'd seen. Ended up being 1449 movies. I followed some of you. Idiotequestalkr.
    Awesome. Now work on that profile.

Did you watch Heat recently, Duke?

Are you a fan?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Did you watch Heat recently, Duke?

Are you a fan?
    Yeh wife and I rewatched it last night. It's Mann's best and has essentially every actor at the height of their acting careers.

Awesome. Now work on that profile.
    Now I'm to the point where I've promised myself I'll stop when there's a page of 72 movies I haven't seen. Thank God for American Pie: The Naked Mile.

Yeh wife and I rewatched it last night. It's Mann's best and has essentially every actor at the height of their acting careers.
    It's so damn good. Flaws, sure. But my god do I love that movie.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Heat is fantastic. The Naked Mile is awful. Funny how movies can be that way sometimes.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Heat is truly excellent, though my favorite Mann is Thief.

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    Heat is truly excellent, though my favorite Mann is Thief.
    I need to rewatch Thief. I blind bought it and only watched once. I don't remember anything but I think I liked it. I guess its time to rank Michael Mann?