Page 2783 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 178322832683273327732781278227832784278527932833 ... LastLast
Results 69,551 to 69,575 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Arnold as emotionless killing machine > Rote subplot where he becomes a father-figure to a troubled teen
    This totally works. Ya Know why? Robert Patrick as emotionless killing machine.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    T1 >T2
    100% agree

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    100% agree
    You are fake news!

I enjoy both. T2 is just so damn big in scope.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "scope," since in terms of plot, Terminator 2 is as much a remake as a sequel. The fundamental difference as I see it is that the original had a certain unity of action, whereas the sequel--due to its huge budget and the shift in Arnold's screen person over the intervening seven years (see Kindergarten Cop)--needs to offer a range of appeals to different sectors of the audience in order to be profitable, and the various elements don't completely hold together. The plot becomes a loose pretext for a series of free-standing attractions: sensational action sequences, the father-son bonding stuff ("heart"), and woman-in-the-nuthouse melodrama (something for the ladies). Of Cameron's later films, Titanic is probably the most successful at integrating its diverse appeals, whereas True Lies pushes the tendency toward profitable incoherence to its limit, to the point that the movie seems to be channel-surfing between two unrelated plots.
    Last edited by baby doll; 07-06-2020 at 07:59 PM.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    the shift in Arnold's screen person over the intervening seven years (see Kindergarten Cop)--needs to offer a range of appeals to different sectors of the audience in order to be profitable, and the various elements don't completely hold together. The plot becomes a loose pretext for a series of free-standing attractions: sensational action sequences, the father-son bonding stuff ("heart"), and woman-in-the-nuthouse melodrama (something for the ladies).
    Do you honestly believe Cameron wrote these scenes so the movie would be more "profitable"?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'm not sure what you mean by "scope," since in terms of plot, Terminator 2 is as much a remake as a sequel. The fundamental difference as I see it is that the original had a certain unity of action, whereas the sequel--due to its huge budget and the shift in Arnold's screen person over the intervening seven years (see Kindergarten Cop)--needs to offer a range of appeals to different sectors of the audience in order to be profitable, and the various elements don't completely hold together. The plot becomes a loose pretext for a series of free-standing attractions: sensational action sequences, the father-son bonding stuff ("heart"), and woman-in-the-nuthouse melodrama (something for the ladies). Of Cameron's later films, Titanic is probably the most successful at integrating its diverse appeals, whereas True Lies pushes the tendency toward profitable incoherence to its limit, to the point that the movie seems to be channel-surfing between two unrelated plots.

Man you are all over the place with your specifics and your vagaries. Sorry bd, you've presented so many topics and logic leaps I'd have to spend paragraphs to respond, so I'll just refrain.

I thought T2 added a lot the mythology of the world built in T1, and because of the budget Cameron was able to go bonkers with the action scenes in ways he couldn't before. That's it.

Don't get me wrong, I love both. And as a kid I fell in love with the sheer scope and technical prowess. Of 2.

But 1 is better.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Do you honestly believe Cameron wrote these scenes so the movie would be more "profitable"?
    I believe Cameron is a rational agent and understands that a film with a budget of a hundred million dollars needs to appeal to as wide an audience as possible in order to turn a profit.
    Just because...

The (New) World

I believe Cameron is a rational agent and understands that a film with a budget of a hundred million dollars needs to appeal to as wide an audience as possible in order to turn a profit.
    The same Cameron who has stories written about him nearly every movie how hes lost his mind, his movie is way over budget, and is going to be the biggest bomb and sink the studio? I don't think he writes to the audience. He writes to himself.

I thoroughly enjoy True Lies, save for the, ahem, stripper sequence. Even when I first saw it in theaters (several times), I always felt that scene should've just gone away. EDIT: And the uzi rolling down the stairs. That was too much, severe eye roll inducing.

Aside from that, I thoroughly enjoy it. My friends and I quote the 'yeah but they were all bad' line numerous times. Bill Paxton was hilarious, and I enjoyed Tom Arnold in this, and I can't say I'm generally a fan of his.

"The guy is a goddamn used car salesman..."

“What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

"Is it a snow cone maker? Is it An espresso machine?" A Waterheater?
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

The same Cameron who has stories written about him nearly every movie how hes lost his mind, his movie is way over budget, and is going to be the biggest bomb and sink the studio? I don't think he writes to the audience. He writes to himself.
    Regardless of what's written about his films before they open, they invariably make money, and I would argue that their lack of narrative unity (which I take to be a defining feature of contemporary blockbuster filmmaking in general) is a major reason for his films' commercial success: Terminator 2 seems to me as much an example of "masala filmmaking" as any Bollywood film. Whether Cameron consciously engineers his films to make them appealing to the widest possible audience or whether he "writes to himself" is not something we can know, although I don't think I'm being overly cynical in suggesting that the former is more probable. In any event, my hypothesis that he deliberately engineers his films to appeal to the widest possible audience provides a plausible explanation for why his films have become less unified as their budgets have gone up, while the notion that he "writes to himself" does not. And let's not forget, Hollywood is a business, after all.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Oh, and Lust, Caution. That's a sex movie. Didn't like it.

Regardless of what's written about his films before they open, they invariably make money, and I would argue that their lack of narrative unity (which I take to be a defining feature of contemporary blockbuster filmmaking in general) is a major reason for his films' commercial success: Terminator 2 seems to me as much an example of "masala filmmaking" as any Bollywood film. Whether Cameron consciously engineers his films to make them appealing to the widest possible audience or whether he "writes to himself" is not something we can know, although I don't think I'm being overly cynical in suggesting that the former is more probable. In any event, my hypothesis that he deliberately engineers his films to appeal to the widest possible audience provides a plausible explanation for why his films have become less unified as their budgets have gone up, while the notion that he "writes to himself" does not. And let's not forget, Hollywood is a business, after all.
    It is. And he has a blank check. His latest crazy idea is 5 back-to-back sequels about the blue cats that every single person is saying "Who wants this? This will be a bust." James Cameron wants this.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I remember loving this one on theaters.

True Lies is the type of ridiculous action movie that I look for rather than something like Batman & Robin because it's both preposterous and still works at the same time. Batman & Robin just gets boring after a while, and there's really nothing to admire in it from an action perspective.

With that, I think Terminator 2 is probably the best action movie around. There's just so many different approaches to action and spectacle that it never really gets boring, which is where he failed in Avatar.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    With that, I think Terminator 2 is probably the best action movie around. There's just so many different approaches to action and spectacle that it never really gets boring, which is where he failed in Avatar.
    My skin absolutely crawls every single time that helicopter flies under the overpass.

It is. And he has a blank check. His latest crazy idea is 5 back-to-back sequels about the blue cats that every single person is saying "Who wants this? This will be a bust." James Cameron wants this.
    The claim that certain Hollywood directors (Cameron, Eastwood, Nolan, Scorsese, Tarantino, et al.) have a "blank check" to do whatever they want always strikes me as overstated and ignores the very real aesthetic, ideological, and commercial constraints these filmmakers tacitly accept. As David Bordwell, Janet Staiger, and Kristin Thompson have demonstrated in detail, Hollywood has a particular concept of what a well-made film looks and sounds like, and the filmmakers I just listed can all be counted on to deliver professional-looking, saleable films. Even with all his clout, Cameron is not going to make films like Evolution of a Filipino Family, which is eleven and a half hours long, was shot on 16mm film and early 2000s digital video, and lacks a finished sound mix; indeed, he probably doesn't even see it as an option, much less a desirable one. Moreover, because Cameron gets a cut of the gross (which is one of the perks of being a commercially successful filmmaker), there's a strong economic incentive for him to make films that do business in foreign markets, especially China. Regarding the four Avatar sequels, clearly his investors want these films for the same reason there are six Terminator movies and a TV spin-off: A franchise has greater earning potential than any single film.
    Just because...

The (New) World

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I rather like James Cameron's work in a narrow Hollywood sense. He has a lot of style and flash but not too much substance. I would label him as what Michael Bay should aspire to be yet fails to achieve due to being lazy and a propaganda machine for the US military.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I liked that very much.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    I rather like James Cameron's work in a narrow Hollywood sense. He has a lot of style and flash but not too much substance. I would label him as what Michael Bay should aspire to be yet fails to achieve due to being lazy and a propaganda machine for the US military.
    Pretty much. Cameron has a good action sense and a shitty story sense.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Pretty much. Cameron has a good action sense and a shitty story sense.
    I realized that after Avatar. Which I still liked.

The claim that certain Hollywood directors (Cameron, Eastwood, Nolan, Scorsese, Tarantino, et al.) have a "blank check" to do whatever they want always strikes me as overstated and ignores the very real aesthetic, ideological, and commercial constraints these filmmakers tacitly accept.
    Scorsese has been pretty vocal recently about not having such blank checks.

I might be in the minority here, but I believe Cameron should just hire a writer and focus at what he really excels at: directing the shit out of things and moving forward visual effects.
    Nayola (J. M. Ribeiro, 2022) ☆
    My First Girlfriend Is a Gal S1 + OVA (H. Furukawa/Y. Ogawa, 2017) ☆
    Hokkaido Gals Are Super Adorable! (M. Hoshino/M. Minato, 2024) ☆
    Correr para Vivir (G. Dorantes, 2024) ☆
    The Bad Guys (P. Perifel, 2022) ☆
    Persepolis (M. Satrapi/V. Paronnaud, 2007)
    Coyote (K. Jerkovic, 2022) ☆
    Uncle from Another World (S. Kawai, 2022-23) ☆
    Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!? + OVA (H. Kaneko/T. Tokoro, 2018-19) ☆
    The Dangers in My Heart, S2 (H. Akagi, 2024) ☆

First time ☆

None of the filmmakers listed have made 2 of the 3 highest grossing films of all time.