Page 2770 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1770227026702720276027682769277027712772278028202870 ... LastLast
Results 69,226 to 69,250 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

This guy really likes italics, not only for emphasis (so much emphasis) but also, bizarrely, proper nouns.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    This guy really likes italics, not only for emphasis (so much emphasis) but also, bizarrely, proper nouns.
    He keeps threatening to retire and writes novels. Imagine an entire book written this way.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    He keeps threatening to retire and writes novels. Imagine an entire book written this way.
    I've always wondered what his (aren't they hand written?) original scripts look like.

Quentin Tarantino is writing reviews and posting them to the New Beverly website.

Here he is on "Targets" (1968):

http://thenewbev.com/tarantinos-reviews/targets/

And "Cade's County," a TV western (1971):

http://thenewbev.com/tarantinos-revi...gun-for-billy/
    Love him. Gotta respect a review that starts with "David Carradine once told me..." hahahah

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I've always wondered what his (aren't they hand written?) original scripts look like.
    A few float around online.

They're very Quentin. Huge blocks of descriptive prose, lotsa tangents, lotsa detail. He pretty much violates every screenwriting rule-of-thumb imaginable, but then you can do that when you absolutely know you will be the one directing the script.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I read Jackie Brown and the original incarnation of Hateful Eight. He breaks every rule of traditional screenwriting. More specifically, he adds a lot of information about character backgrounds and history that would never be evident from watching the movie.

I've started to turn around on Tarantino. Both his films and his persona.

I've seen several clips of him talking movies recently, and his passion for the art form and its history is just so palpable. I could listen to him talking about movies he likes for hours.

I've always, always really appreciated that aspect of his personality, the contagious enthusiasm for cinema. Same with Scorsese. They're to film what Borges is for literature - "first a reader, then a writer".

EDIT: There was probably a better choice of word than "contagious".

Producer
    "Infectious" looks better, but not by much too lol.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

This is a funny, clever little piece. The YouTube thread is a bit dead, but I suppose I could post it there too.

"How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I'd never seen The Goonies before.

It's cute. Some fun and funny moments. Chemistry between all the kids is great.

Probably would have loved it as a kid.

- - - - -
    Quentin Tarantino is writing reviews and posting them to the New Beverly website.

Here he is on "Targets" (1968):

http://thenewbev.com/tarantinos-reviews/targets/

And "Cade's County," a TV western (1971):

http://thenewbev.com/tarantinos-revi...gun-for-billy/
    I guess he's posting every day?

Here's a new one about Wang Yu aka Jimmy Yu, actor-director who appeared in Shaw Brothers classics like "One Armed Swordsman":

http://thenewbev.com/tarantinos-revi...uper-director/

If you haven't seen them, make One Armed Swordsman and Return of the One Armed Swordsman priorities in your to watch list.

Well, bravo for Arcade Publishing. Ignore the pulpy headline.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/03/wo...jL-RYSnK5NzTgg

I feel like Contagion is one of those movies that has an hour's worth of deleted scenes and probably entire characters that we never got to see.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I feel like Contagion is one of those movies that has an hour's worth of deleted scenes and probably entire characters that we never got to see.
    I love the editing. It clips by and is accurate in the timewarp aspect of a pandemic. The form also matches the function of the speed of a viral outbreak. Sombody's lipstick on a glass becomes a statewide quarantine two weeks later. There's been many times in the last two weeks when I've wondered what day it is. It's very similar to that feeling around the holidays you get, when it's hard to figure out if it's Sunday or Tuesday or what.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    I love the editing. It clips by and is accurate in the timewarp aspect of a pandemic. The form also matches the function of the speed of a viral outbreak. Sombody's lipstick on a glass becomes a statewide quarantine two weeks later. There's been many times in the last two weeks when I've wondered what day it is. It's very similar to that feeling around the holidays you get, when it's hard to figure out if it's Sunday or Tuesday or what.
    Yeah, I was working on Sunday in a store, typically most of my team's day off, and in comes in someone, prime and ready to go. I give him a wtf look, and he was absolutely convinced it was Monday. Same thing happened with another person in the store. Very odd.

Love the movie btw

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Yeah, I was working on Sunday in a store, typically most of my team's day off, and in comes in someone, prime and ready to go. I give him a wtf look, and he was absolutely convinced it was Monday. Same thing happened with another person in the store. Very odd.

Love the movie btw
    Aren't you a firefighter or paramedic or something?
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Contagion was engaging, but somewhat boring when I saw it years ago. Outbreak goes bigger, but still within reason and Petersen, cast and crew are far too talented to mess it up. I guess I like it more, but it's been a while for both movies. Its military slant is not unusual given that the Motaba virus (yes I actually remember the name!) was engineered by the military.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Is this where we write about quarantine watches? Anybody rewatch something? Watch something for the first time? Here's my rundown of stuff recently ...
    Maybe we should make it's own thread for historical MC reference?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Aren't you a firefighter or paramedic or something?
    For a while, from 2007-2012 or so. Then I got a training job in California that eventually got my Regional Facility gig back here in Colorado. It's a much better job in the end even if it's not as sexy sounding.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Has there even been a movie about Typhoid Mary?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Kenneth Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express feels like it's a short step away from being a "movie that exists".

Everyone's fine in it. It's competently made. I already forget most of it.

It's just a story that has been done before (multiple times) and better (multiple times). The only thing it felt like it had to offer was telling the story with a more modern Hollywood cast.

I can't help feeling like almost all of Branagh's writer-director projects are more about vanity than anything else. He chooses stories and roles that allow him to point the camera at himself chewing up the scenery. He's a good (occasionally great) actor, but he has no directorial flair at all. Everything is just functional.

All this being said, yes I was entertained. There are some individual scenes and performances therein (see: Josh Gad's interrogation) that work really well. The ending is too melodramatic and schmaltzy.

So yeah, it was enjoyable while it was on but instantly forgettable. I'm sure I'll see Death on the Nile at some point.

Room at the Top. Amazon Prime. Watch it. Now!

So I was kind of wrong about streaming (which I just started doing).While the selection is less, there are still a lot of great films on Amazon Prime. Room at the Top has been in my Netflix queue for decades and I finally got to watch it on Amazon Prime. Also watched Stillman's Love and Friendship which I found very enjoyable. Netflix streaming seems much inferior at this point. Any opinions on Prime vs Netflix?