Page 2746 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1746224626462696273627442745274627472748275627962846 ... LastLast
Results 68,626 to 68,650 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Okay, but I don't understand the general concept of you thinking that if we don't personally watch the films ourselves, we can't complain about them being taken away from others, that's all. Seems like an odd way of looking at things (if it doesn't personally affect you, then it is "faux outrage" and thus... not genuine? Dismissable? I don't know. That's what I wanted to clarify.). Anyway.....
    Because I thought those others were just upset at not being able to see it in theaters, rather than *checks Just Watch* Amazon, google, Apple, Youtube, Fandango Now, Playstation, VuDU, Microsoft, Redbox and whatever fuboTV is.

And here we are, on the internet, upset that this poor cinephiles, can't watch it on the big screen. (if that was the only reason). If that WAS the only reason, doesn't that feel a bit sad?
    There's a lot of millennial complaints I dismiss that doesn't impact me personally. We are supposed to fight for everything everywhere all the time? Apparently, millennials don't like cereal because they have to clean up after they are done eating. We should campaign on the streets for a cereal box that throws itself away when you are done eating it.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Because I thought those others were just upset at not being able to see it in theaters, rather than *checks Just Watch* Amazon, google, Apple, Youtube, Fandango Now, Playstation, VuDU, Microsoft, Redbox and whatever fuboTV is.
    And do you really think those all those films will still be available once Disney+ goes live? Or will Disney let their contracts expire and keep everything exclusive to their service?

What if they did the same with DVDs and Blus? What if they introduced an artificial scarcity into Disney+ and only allowed access to certain films during narrow windows, a few times a year?

Would you be so blase then?

Vendor lock-in and platform exclusives are bad for everybody.

But you already know this, just like you're aware that seeing a movie projected, with an audience, is often a different experience than watching it a home, and a lot of folks place a high value on one experience over the other.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    And do you really think those all those films will still be available once Disney+ goes live? Or will Disney let their contracts expire and keep everything exclusive to their service?

What if they did the same with DVDs and Blus? What if they introduced an artificial scarcity into Disney+ and only allowed access to certain films during narrow windows, a few times a year?

Would you be so blase then?

Vendor lock-in and platform exclusives are bad for everybody.

But you already know this, just like you're aware that seeing a movie projected, with an audience, is often a different experience than watching it a home, and a lot of folks place a high value on one experience over the other.
    If they do move to Disney+ just add it to the list. No different paying $3.99 on Amazon than paying $3.99 for Disney. And none of those other things have happened and I try not to live in a world of hypotheticals.

And yeh, seeing a movie projected with an audience sucks these days.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    If they do move to Disney+ just add it to the list. No different paying $3.99 on Amazon than paying $3.99 for Disney. And none of those other things have happened and I try not to live in a world of hypotheticals.
    Disney has done, at one time or another, everything I described with their own original properties. Why wouldn't they do the same with Fox?

You're assuming that something like "Alien" will be available to rent (and at the same price). But why would it be? Subscriptions are a lot more lucrative than one-off rentals.

Most of this stuff is now in a "Roma" sort of category --- you can't see the movie projected on screen and it's also locked to a single vendor's platform, which also means you can't rent or own a copy, either.

Saying you don't deal in hypotheticals is a weak defense here, dude. I mean, c'mon. Half this website is people talking about hypotheticals.

And yeh, seeing a movie projected with an audience sucks these days.
    At chain theaters, yeah. But at rep houses, not in my experience.

Saying you don't deal in hypotheticals is a weak defense here, dude. I mean, c'mon. Half this website is people talking about hypotheticals.
    I just mean these things you listed haven't happened yet and I'm not going to get all bent out of shape for something that hasn't and maybe won't happen.

And no, I dont think they will do this with the FOX properties. They lock stuff behind their Disney brand vault for a reason but it doesn't make any sense to do this to the FOX stuff.

I can still buy/rent/stream Avengers movies on Amazon and that has been owned by Disney since day 1. Shouldn't they be pulling these things off the shelves?

https://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Studio...2027464&sr=8-4

same with Pixar

https://www.amazon.com/Toy-Story-Tim...2027577&sr=8-1

same with Walt Disney Pictures

https://www.amazon.com/Moana-Theatri...2027598&sr=8-1

- - - - -
    IThey lock stuff behind their Disney brand vault for a reason but it doesn't make any sense to do this to the FOX stuff.
    Yeah. Unfortunately, marketers don't think that way. If something worked for them before, they'll likely try it again.

I can still buy/rent/stream Avengers movies on Amazon and that has been owned by Disney since day 1. Shouldn't they be pulling these things off the shelves?
    They weren't competing directly with Amazon before. Now they are.

Exclusives are the only value these platforms have. Maintaining Disney properties on Amazon would undermine Disney+ and Hulu. Why would they do that?

ETA: And they're about to pull their shit off Netflix, whose licensing deal with Disney expires at the end of this year. So all those Pixar and LucasFilm movies will be gone by mid-2020 at the latest.
    Last edited by Irish; 10-25-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Duke aren’t you the same age as me?

ETA: And they're about to pull their shit off Netflix, whose licensing deal with Disney expires at the end of this year. So all those Pixar and LucasFilm movies will be gone by mid-2020 at the latest.
    Everything but the Netflix shows.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Duke aren’t you the same age as me?
    I dunno are we the same age? You have me blocked on Facebook.

- - - - -
    aka "everything we've been talking about"

Not sure I understand your point?

There's a reason why Netflix shitcanned their Marvel shows in the same year ...

Man, this whole conversation is bumming me out now

I was agreeing with you. More like continuing your ETA statement.

I dunno are we the same age? You have me blocked on Facebook.
    No I don’t. I don’t have Facebook. I sent you a message on messenger months back and you never replied.

I was born in 87.

No I don’t. I don’t have Facebook. I sent you a message on messenger months back and you never replied.

I was born in 87.
    84 Here. And I just went in and looked- apparently there are two headers on top of the messages place on FB. One that says "recent" and one that says "message requests". I had 37 message requests that I never knew existed, from people I had no idea were trying to contact me. Facebook is weird man.

84 Here. And I just went in and looked- apparently there are two headers on top of the messages place on FB. One that says "recent" and one that says "message requests". I had 37 message requests that I never knew existed, from people I had no idea were trying to contact me. Facebook is weird man.
    Yeah, I hate that about fb. I've seriously gone years before realizing people were trying to contact me, and they probably thought I had just blown them off. You'd think they'd notify you of that. I mean hell, they notify you about every single damn thing else you couldn't give a crap less about. >.>

We'll just have to settle for

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Ah, well my point was just that you are a millennial

Ah, well my point was just that you are a millennial
    I denounce millennial and classify myself as generation x.

And here we are, on the internet, upset that this poor cinephiles, can't watch it on the big screen. (if that was the only reason). If that WAS the only reason, doesn't that feel a bit sad?
    There's a lot of millennial complaints I dismiss that doesn't impact me personally. We are supposed to fight for everything everywhere all the time? Apparently, millennials don't like cereal because they have to clean up after they are done eating. We should campaign on the streets for a cereal box that throws itself away when you are done eating it.
    Yeah, as I thought, it wasn't an argument that made any sense. Moving on....
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I'm gonna need a birth year before I allow you in my club.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I'm gonna need a birth year before I allow you in my club.
    Think he said '84. Not even on the cusp.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    If so, DENIED.

How millennial of you.

Big monopolies are not a good thing. Ever.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Definition of Gen X is early 80s. I qualify,

Plus they never would have made those pepsi generation x commercials advertising directly to me in the 90s.

1965-1980.

Definition of Gen X is early 80s. I qualify,

Plus they never would have made those pepsi generation x commercials advertising directly to me in the 90s.
    You and I are 83-84. We can accept Xenniels or even Oregon Trail Generation... but not in the same club as those damn slackers.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter