Page 2741 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1741224126412691273127392740274127422743275127912841 ... LastLast
Results 68,501 to 68,525 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting PURPLE (view post)
    Oh, and he probably doesn’f think Bresson is cinema, because Bresson doesn’t care about emoting?
    Emoting ≠ Emotion
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Please post this outside the thread so I can attack you for it
    There's no film on here you can convince me otherwise. That includes all three Mummy movies.

https://letterboxd.com/dukefrukem/li...tter-than-the/
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    There's no film on here you can convince me otherwise. That includes all three Mummy movies.

https://letterboxd.com/dukefrukem/li...tter-than-the/
    Who said anything about convincing you?

I just wanted to hit you about the head and neck with a blunt object

smacc
    smacc
    smacc

- - - - -

^ RDJ on Scorsese's comments.

I heard that live. He more or less shrugged it off.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

"I mean, it plays in theaters" was a pretty subtle snide comment, right?

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    "I mean, it plays in theaters" was a pretty subtle snide comment, right?
    So is saying a Marvel movie is a theme park.

The Florida Project is still the best movie I've seen in the past few years.

- - - - -
    Nicolas Winding Refn is doing a TV show based on "Maniac Cop" and HBO picked up the NA distribution rights. Whaaaa tf. This sounds too weird to be true.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/maniac-...ls-1202757504/

Wish he’d go back to making movies instead of shows. >.>

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    That is the best entertainment news I've read all year.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Wish he’d go back to making movies instead of shows. >.>
    I'm fine with him doing none of the above.

But... but his movies are so good. o.O

His movies are excellent and actually getting better and better. I just don't watch TV these days - there are too many options, too little time.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I just don't watch TV these days - there are too many options, too little time.
    Yup, this is the same boat that I’m in.

I guess I only really hated Only God Forgives. One bad movie, and you reach 'Duke's Mental Hate list'... I forgot about Drive entirely and Valhalla Rising

Only God Forgives was okay but didn't really go anywhere in the end imo.

Drive was the best movie that year.

Another Refn discussion eh?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Emoting ≠ Emotion
    "It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being."

Bresson is not the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another being. That is "emoting" - the conveying.

Scorsese is full of shit, as usual.

"It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being."

Bresson is not the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another being. That is "emoting" - the conveying.
    It seems you have a rather low estimation of the potential for cinema to be an expressive art form in general and Bresson's films in particular, which I find extremely moving, although they need to be seen on the big screen to achieve their full impact. I saw Au hasard Balthazar on projected 35mm a few years ago, and even without emotive acting, I found it overwhelmingly powerful (far more so, indeed, than any of Scorsese's films).

Incidentally, when an interviewer asked him if he thinks people understand his films, Bresson's response was, "I'd rather people feel a film before understanding it."
    Just because...

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    It seems you have a rather low estimation of the potential for cinema to be an expressive art form in general and Bresson's films in particular, which I find extremely moving, although they need to be seen on the big screen to achieve their full impact. I saw Au hasard Balthazar on projected 35mm a few years ago, and even without emotive acting, I found it overwhelmingly powerful (far more so, indeed, than any of Scorsese's films).

Incidentally, when an interviewer asked him if he thinks people understand his films, Bresson's response was, "I'd rather people feel a film before understanding it."
    No.

I didn't say anything bad about Bresson. I used Bresson as an example of someone that absolutely does not meet Scorsese's criteria to show that Scorsese's statement was bullshit. Obviously, the only reason I would use an example is if I thought they were good and didn't meet Scorsese's criteria. That the films are moving does not mean that they meet Scorsese's criteria: "human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being." He says this specifically and explicitly in the context of actors, meant to contrast with the impossibility of creating meaningful art while acting against a greenscreen. Clearly, Bresson didn't find any issue with it being difficult to act in a convincing and realistic manner, whether against greenscreens or not, because he didn't find that important at all. Which is to say: According to Scorsese's criteria, Bresson's films aren't real cinema because the actors don't emote to each other - and Scorsese is full of shit. Simple.

Bresson's characters are like empty vessels we pour ourselves into (that's a compliment) - and Refn hasn't done anything great since his Pusher films way back when.

No.

I didn't say anything bad about Bresson. I used Bresson as an example of someone that absolutely does not meet Scorsese's criteria to show that Scorsese's statement was bullshit. Obviously, the only reason I would use an example is if I thought they were good and didn't meet Scorsese's criteria. That the films are moving does not mean that they meet Scorsese's criteria: "human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being." He says this specifically and explicitly in the context of actors, meant to contrast with the impossibility of creating meaningful art while acting against a greenscreen. Clearly, Bresson didn't find any issue with it being difficult to act in a convincing and realistic manner, whether against greenscreens or not, because he didn't find that important at all. Which is to say: According to Scorsese's criteria, Bresson's films aren't real cinema because the actors don't emote to each other - and Scorsese is full of shit. Simple.
    Scorsese wasn't talking about acting at all with that quote but about the intentions of the MCU filmmakers in making the movies. I think he just mentioned the actors in the previous sentence mostly to take the blame off them ("doing the best they can under the circumstances" and all), and you're selling Marty very short if you think he has such a narrow view of cinema in general. Bresson, as a filmmaker, absolutely wants you to feel emotional and psychological experiences of other human beings. He just rejects the traditional way in which actors emote because that's his thing. He'd rather express emotion through the frames and the editing. Frankly, I don't want to provoke a fight of anything, but you don't understand either filmmaker.

Also, Scorsese wasn't writing an essay. He answered a question orally about his own tastes and it got blown completely out of proportion.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 10-13-2019 at 06:58 AM.

I have to second Grouchy on this: There's nothing in Scorsese's answer to the question to suggest he views expressive acting as being indispensable to cinematic expression. (Nor for that matter did he say there was anything inherently wrong with green screen effects. Didn't Scorsese use a ton of them himself in Hugo?)
    Just because...

The (New) World