Page 2731 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1731223126312681272127292730273127322733274127812831 ... LastLast
Results 68,251 to 68,275 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    What are your thoughts on Superman IV?
    Never seen any of the Reeve Supermans.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Producer
    Layer Cake (2004)

Aims for grounded, somehow so laid back it comes off (too) sleepy at times, lacking the momentum to make the familiarly convoluted crime plot really engaging. Daniel Craig has such immediately star-making presence in this to be worth it though. 6.5/10

Strozek (1977)

Can't decide if many of the skimpy details, especially regarding their immigrant lives, are either evocative/poetic or just irritatingly unimaginative. Otherwise the film hits a sweet tonal spot alternating between lovely and mournful though. And that ending is divine, divinely sad. 7.5/10

Police Story 3: Supercop (1992)

Just veryyyy slightly below the first one in pure action goodness. May have the best story of the three, but it also shows how deceptively effortless Chan's storytelling in the first Police Story is, with that one maintaining an easy-going charm in between big action set-pieces, whereas Supercop has some lulls in its otherwise engaging storyline. Compensates by having its action spectacle be a rising graph, constantly raising intensity all the way to that truly insane, pull-out-all-stop fiery finish, and also by Chan getting an equal to work alongsides with in Michelle Yeoh's equally charismatic character. 7.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

That shot of him jumping through the hut window just ahead of explosion is remarkable.

Producer
    It is!

Can’t find it, but I’m also partial to the one where Chan dives into a hut window, accidentally shutting it down after him, so that when Yeoh immediately dives following him, she bounces off it to the ground. Minor touch but it’s both realistic and hilarious.
    Last edited by Peng; 06-11-2019 at 02:52 AM.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I like BD. Sure, his opinions are whack a lot of the time, but he explains himself, and is never abusive.
    I like Skitch. Sure, his opinions are whack a lot of the time, but he has passion and verve.
    I like Irish. Sure, his opinions are whack a lot of the time, but he is articulate and unpredictable.
    I like Madman. Sure, his opinions are whack a lot of the time, but he has a pure love for movies that can't be beat.
    Spinal, though? That dude needs reigning in.
    trans, never leave us. Also my opinions are full on whack all the time.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    It is!

Can’t find it, but I’m also partial to the one where Chan dives into a hut window, accidentally shutting it down after him, so that when Yeoh immediately dives following him, she bounces off it to the ground. Minor touch but it’s both realistic and hilarious.
    Yep that scene is also awesome. If you havent seen Supercop 2, it's totally worth a watch.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I really want to hear peoples’ thoughts on Furie’s mise en scene, and whether Mark Pillow’s method acting tactic of actually exposing himself to nuclear radiation and becoming Nuclear Man for real hurt or helped the film’s message of nuclear disarmament.
    Well it helped since Superman had to defeat him to finally achieve world peace for all mankind. Rocky ended communism in 1985 and Superman got rid of nuclear weapons in 1987. What a time to be alive.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I am so behind on Jackie Chan films.

Also I love Layer Cake, but that film is really dated already. Craig sure made a great Bond, though.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

My God, that gif. You know theres some dude holding a trigger who was told "the second his knees clear the railing, hit it." And Chan is leap diving like his life depends on it because HIS LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. What a maniac.

Diao Yinan's Chinese neonoir Black Coal, Thin Ice is the sort of re-imagining of the purpose of noir tropes that I'd been waiting for without even knowing it. It plays so many noir tropes, but it's undergirded by a strong sense of Chinese economies and low-lifes that take advantage of individuals that it ends somewhere new. It's got an opaque ending that's likely to continue growing in my esteem, and it has two or three sequences (the horse, the first time jump, the final fireworks display) that are absolutely riveting in their insurrectional power.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Oooh Chinese neo noir? Sign me up.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Kar-Wai Wong:

As Tears Go By - 5.5
    Days of Being Wild - 7
    Ashes of Time - 5.5
    Chungking Express - 8.5
    Fallen Angels - 5.5
    Happy Together - 7
    In the Mood for Love - 10
    2046 - 7
    My Blueberry Nights - 5.5
    The Grandmaster - 4

One masterpiece and one excellent movie, but outside of that there's several brilliant moments scattered around that never cohere into a great whole. Also, that choppy slow-motion thing he's so in love with is pretty dang annoying.

Producer
    My rating would be:

As Tears Go By - 6.5
    Days of Being Wild - 8
    Ashes of Time - 5.5
    Chungking Express - 9
    Fallen Angels - 6
    Happy Together - 8.5
    2046 - 6.5
    My Blueberry Nights - 6
    The Grandmaster - 8 (up from 7 after a rewatch)
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    Kar-Wai Wong:

One masterpiece and one excellent movie, but outside of that there's several brilliant moments scattered around that never cohere into a great whole. Also, that choppy slow-motion thing he's so in love with is pretty dang annoying.
    I don't think coherence is really the point in Wong's films any more than in other Hong Kong films of the late 1980s and early 1990s which privilege sensational set pieces over narrative unity (and accordingly tend toward a more episodic construction than is typical in Hollywood cinema). Wong's innovation in this context is to push this tendency toward Sternbergian visual abstraction, hence his taste for slurred motion effects emphasizing colour and movement over denotation.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    I don't think coherence is really the point in Wong's films any more than in other Hong Kong films of the late 1980s and early 1990s which privilege sensational set pieces over narrative unity (and accordingly tend toward a more episodic construction than is typical in Hollywood cinema). Wong's innovation in this context is to push this tendency toward Sternbergian visual abstraction, hence his taste for slurred motion effects emphasizing colour and movement over denotation.
    It's not the structure of his films that I have a problem with, it's the fact that for every 5 minutes of brilliance there's another 5 of dullness (or 10, depending on the movie).

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    My rating would be:
    Since our ratings are otherwise so similar I'm curious about why you liked The Grandmaster so much. That one's easily his worst for me, and the fighting scenes did not suit his style at all.

Producer
    Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    Since our ratings are otherwise so similar I'm curious about why you liked The Grandmaster so much. That one's easily his worst for me, and the fighting scenes did not suit his style at all.
    On my first watch (where this is my first Wong I'd seen) I almost felt the same about the fight scenes, although I still enjoyed it a bit. But I really came around to the film on second watch. Here's what I wrote about it both times (not really spoiler, just long):

7/10

[
    ]

8/10

[
    ]
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

As Tears Go By - 8.5
    Days of Being Wild - 9.0
    Chungking Express - 9.5
    Fallen Angels -10

So yeah, I am a fan although I am still behind on his work.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

The last time I watched Chungking Express, I so wanted to see a whole movie about the blonde lady and her criminal organization, and I could not care less about the lovesick policemen.

A friend got me to go to this:

https://musicboxtheatre.com/films/jo...aved-hollywood

Anyone know anything about this Joe guy?

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    A friend got me to go to this:

https://musicboxtheatre.com/films/jo...aved-hollywood

Anyone know anything about this Joe guy?
    So this was cool - about 500-600 fans most of them subscribed to Shudder Streaming: https://www.shudder.com

I learned all I ever wanted to know about "rednecks".

Producer
    It's not hard to see myself giving another film of Flight’s equal merits and flaws more of a pass, if the flaws are concentrated more in the first half while saving the best towards the last, but here… well. After the plane lands, the film becomes only a functional, occasionally dull Oscarbait drama that is better directed than the norm (save some truly grotesque song choices), but then takes a turn towards the thudding treacly in the last few scenes. That plane sequence might rank up there with director Robert Zemeckis' best though, so upsettingly visceral in his usual immersive technical precision and the scene's procedural details; the matter-of-factness in which the black box is mentioned just about tears my gut out. The whole sequence's impact and Denzel Washington's fine performance (not a stretch for him, but he takes us through the character's messed-up mindset well) keeps this afloat long enough before the ending almost wipes any past goodwill clean. 5.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

So this was cool - about 500-600 fans most of them subscribed to Shudder Streaming: https://www.shudder.com

I learned all I ever wanted to know about "rednecks".
    Yes. Joe Bob Briggs follows me on Twitter. The Last Drive In is a fun new version of the Monster Vision show he used to do on TNT back in the 90s.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Peng I never saw Flight, mostly because many echoed your issues with the film. I might still rent it, though since I like Denzel Washington as an actor.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Watched Santa Sangre again. Why don't cinematrogaphers roll the camera - I can't think of any other movie where the camera rolls in a scene. It's a very effective and disorientating effect.

Watched Santa Sangre again. Why don't cinematrogaphers roll the camera - I can't think of any other movie where the camera rolls in a scene. It's a very effective and disorientating effect.
    You should see Devils on the Doorstep.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World