Page 2729 of 2751 FirstFirst ... 17292229262926792719272727282729273027312739 ... LastLast
Results 68,201 to 68,225 of 68766

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    The real question is .... does StanleyK have good taste?

*runs away cackling*
    We won’t know until we get his opinion on Superman IV.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    I never woulda guessed that saying it's a waste of time to watch movies you don't like would turn out to be such a controversial statement.
    Don't be silly. It was your presumption against anyone who would WANT to watch the movies that is controversial. Now your're saying you've seen them all, don't like them, and your conclusion is it was a waste of time.

Stop that.

Just Watched
    Nothing Until Black Widow

Currently Playing | Played
    Tom Claney's Breakpoint ★★★½

TV Show Currently Watching | Watched
    Mandalorian (Favreau) ★★½
    Jack Ryan (S2) ★★½

Currently Reading | Read
    Howard Stern Comes Again (Stern)

Thoughts / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Don't be silly. It was your presumption against anyone who would WANT to watch the movies that is controversial. Now your're saying you've seen them all, don't like them, and your conclusion is it was a waste of time.

Stop that.
    That's not all what my presumption was. My presumption was that, after watching a certain number of Disney animated films (let's half a dozen at the outside) and finding that the majority are, in Stanley's words, only "passable entertainment," it seems reasonable to question whether it is necessary to watch each remaining film, from beginning to end, until you've seen them all. (Surely even Disney fanboys will concede that some of their films are better than others and that many are quite bad.) When making the choice of which film to watch, a person can either try to make an educated guess based on the information at their disposal (e.g., one's familiarity with other films in this category and the respective critical reputations of those one has not seen), or if they are hoping to be surprised, they can sample each film in turn, watching the first thirty or forty minutes and then deciding if it's worth it to continue. To watch each and every one from beginning to end in a systematic fashion, regardless of one's inclinations, seems to me not just profoundly inefficient but also a renunciation of one's own intelligence, like rooting through every garbage bin in the city on the off chance that one might contain a discarded diamond.
    Just because...
    Touch Me Not (Adina Pintilie, 2018) warm
    Madame Hyde (Serge Bozon, 2017) mild
    O Fantasma (Joćo Pedro Rodrigues, 2000) warm

The last book I read was...
    Selected Stories by Katherine Mansfield

The (New) World

I doubt you post on Twitter, because if you did your flippant arrogance would get you ratioed. Or who knows? There's plenty of wankers that are right up there on your high horse.
    BLOG

Currently Watching:

*Daredevil S3
    *Veronica Mars S3
    *SeaLab 2021 S4
    *The Punisher S2
    *The Last Drive In Week 5
    *The Detour S2
    *Lucifer S3

That's not all what my presumption was. My presumption was that, after watching a certain number of Disney animated films (let's half a dozen at the outside) and finding that the majority are, in Stanley's words, only "passable entertainment," it seems reasonable to question whether it is necessary to watch each remaining film, from beginning to end, until you've seen them all. (Surely even Disney fanboys will concede that some of their films are better than others and that many are quite bad.) When making the choice of which film to watch, a person can either try to make an educated guess based on the information at their disposal (e.g., one's familiarity with other films in this category and the respective critical reputations of those one has not seen), or if they are hoping to be surprised, they can sample each film in turn, watching the first thirty or forty minutes and then deciding if it's worth it to continue. To watch each and every one from beginning to end in a systematic fashion, regardless of one's inclinations, seems to me not just profoundly inefficient but also a renunciation of one's own intelligence, like rooting through every garbage bin in the city on the off chance that one might contain a discarded diamond.
    Fine but that's not what you implied. And be honest.... of the thousands and thousands of media hours each one of us consume in a calendar year, and then stretch it out to a decade and then an entire lifespan, do you really think 50 films would make a dent in the 'time wasted' column of your life?

We're all wasting our god damn time.

Just Watched

Jack Ryan (S2) ★★½

Currently Reading | Read

Don't be silly. It was your presumption against anyone who would WANT to watch the movies that is controversial. Now you're saying you've seen them all, don't like them, and your conclusion is it was a waste of time.

Stop that.
    But this is what baby doll does! This is the game! Passive-aggressive to defensive in span of 2 posts.

To watch each and every one from beginning to end in a systematic fashion, regardless of one's inclinations, seems to me not just profoundly inefficient but also a renunciation of one's own intelligence, like rooting through every garbage bin in the city on the off chance that one might contain a discarded diamond.
    Some people are completionists and want to have total knowledge of a thing in order to talk about it.

Would you feel comfortable expounding on the French New Wave if you'd never seen anything by Chabrol or Rivette?

For serious animation fans, watching every Disney film is almost a requirement.
    Last edited by Irish; 06-05-2019 at 09:17 PM.

Yeah, I'm a completionist, although not because I want to get total knowledge of anything; I just feel weird watching most of something but leaving gaps in the middle (sometimes when I just can't get hold of a movie I give up and move on, but it still feels incomplete for me).

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    We won’t know until we get his opinion on Superman IV.
    Haven't seen it... is there some other barometer?

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    Haven't seen it... is there some other barometer?
    Nope, sorry.

Fail.

The obvious answer is "Greasy Strangler."

Anybody who says different is a BULLSHIT ARTIST.

Meanwhile, a distraction for you: TimeOut has ranked "The 100 Best Movies of All Time."

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/movi...es-of-all-time

Top 10:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    2. Godfather
    3. Citizen Kane
    4. Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
    5. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    6. La Dolce Vita
    7. Seven Samurai
    8. In the Mood for Love
    9. There Will Be Blood
    10. Singin' in the Rain

The rest of the list is a clusterfuck of good movies in the wrong order. Discuss!

A boring, safe list.

I mean, I wouldn’t argue that any of it is wrong. It just has no personality to it.

Some people are completionists and want to have total knowledge of a thing in order to talk about it.

Would you feel comfortable expounding on the French New Wave if you'd never seen anything by Chabrol or Rivette?

For serious animation fans, watching every Disney film is almost a requirement.
    You can never know everything about a topic, so anything you say about it will be necessarily tentative. In the case of the Nouvelle Vague, there are several reputedly major Rivette films I haven't seen, including both versions of Out 1, and I've only seen one film by Jacques Rozier, one feature and a short by Jean Eustache, and nothing at all by Marcel Hanoun, Luc Moullet, or Jean-Daniel Pollet. Yet even my partial knowledge of the subject would probably be sufficient to formulate a few provisional hypotheses.
    Just because...

The (New) World

I must have missed where the BULLSHIT ARTIST inside joke came from. Link plz?

Just Watched

Jack Ryan (S2) ★★½

Currently Reading | Read

See the Greasy Strangler.

You can never know everything about a topic, so anything you say about it will be necessarily tentative. In the case of the Nouvelle Vague, there are several reputedly major Rivette films I haven't seen, including both versions of Out 1, and I've only seen one film by Jacques Rozier, one feature and a short by Jean Eustache, and nothing at all by Marcel Hanoun, Luc Moullet, or Jean-Daniel Pollet. Yet even my partial knowledge of the subject would probably be sufficient to formulate a few provisional hypotheses.
    But you get what I'm saying, yeah?

It's not so much about one-off gaps in knowledge as excluding swaths of a canon for one reason or another. (Although I'm surprised you haven't seen "Out1," haha.)

With Disney, I agree with you about the period from roughly 1969-1988 (why bother?) but then I have a limited interest in animation.

You talked about diamonds in the garbage, but didn't mention garbage lends diamonds context and depth. That the bad defines the good, and illuminates what regular, workday movie-goers watched back in the day alongside long-remembered classics. (This is the reason I chase down "Hopalong Cassidy" movies and obscure TV westerns, in the hopes that watching lesser work will give me perspective on greater work.)

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-greasy-strangler

But you get what I'm saying, yeah?

It's not so much about one-off gaps in knowledge as excluding swaths of a canon for one reason or another. (Although I'm surprised you haven't seen "Out1," haha.)

With Disney, I agree with you about the period from roughly 1969-1988 (why bother?) but then I have a limited interest in animation.

You talked about diamonds in the garbage, but didn't mention garbage lends diamonds context and depth. That the bad defines the good, and illuminates what regular, workday movie-goers watched back in the day alongside long-remembered classics. (This is the reason I chase down "Hopalong Cassidy" movies and obscure TV westerns, in the hopes that watching lesser work will give me perspective on greater work.)
    I'm not convinced it's necessary to watch dreck in order to appreciate the good stuff. Obviously it's important to have some general sense of the norms of a particular genre in order to evaluate an individual work, but you can pick up on those norms just from looking at the good stuff. Even without having read a lot of mediocre 19th century Russian novels, I can still appreciate the brilliance of Gogol, Turgenev, Dostoevsky, and Tolstoy.
    Just because...

The (New) World

I'm not convinced it's necessary to watch dreck in order to appreciate the good stuff. Obviously it's important to have some general sense of the norms of a particular genre in order to evaluate an individual work, but you can pick up on those norms just from looking at the good stuff. Even without having read a lot of mediocre 19th century Russian novels, I can still appreciate the brilliance of Gogol, Turgenev, Dostoevsky, and Tolstoy.
    You don't need the mediocre work for appreciation but you do need it for perspective. I'm thinking about this more in terms of cinema studies than simply going to the movies.

There must be ~100 hours of animated Disney films across the last century. Anybody who wants to explore that canon thoroughly probably seeks more out of the experience than to be entertained for every hour.

To put it another way, as a rough corollary to your Russian analogy: I wouldn't put weight in anyone's opinion of Disney's 70s/80s output if they'd neglected what Bluth and Bakshi were doing at the time.

You don't need the mediocre work for appreciation but you do need it for perspective. I'm thinking about this more in terms of cinema studies than simply going to the movies.

There must be ~100 hours of animated Disney films across the last century. Anybody who wants to explore that canon thoroughly probably seeks more out of the experience than to be entertained for every hour.

To put it another way, as a rough corollary to your Russian analogy: I wouldn't put weight in anyone's opinion of Disney's 70s/80s output if they'd neglected what Bluth and Bakshi were doing at the time.
    From a cinema studies perspective, I'm sure there are projects where it would be necessary to bulk watch certain portions of the Disney company's output and that of their rivals, assuming the researcher had a focussed question they were attempting to answer (and which would limit the scope of the films being considered). However, I can't imagine any serious researcher sitting down to watch every Disney animated feature film from 1937 to the present in the hope of having some sort of epiphany.
    Just because...

The (New) World

You're an odd cat bd.

Just Watched

Jack Ryan (S2) ★★½

Currently Reading | Read

However, I can't imagine any serious researcher sitting down to watch every Disney animated feature film from 1937 to the present in the hope of having some sort of epiphany.
    I'm not a serious researcher, but I did have an epiphany while watching a Hopalong Cassidy movie from the 1930s, because it had more than one similarity to a current-day blockbuster: thin characters, bad dialogue, rambling connectivity, brisk pacing, and a truly insane ambition around its set-pieces. It was obvious the movie was designed around its action sequences.

Hopalong was the Ethan Hunt of his day, I guess. It's not an earth shaking observation but I was awfully pleased to make it.

I imagine people like Watashi or StanleyK might receive comparable rewards from their exploration of Disney.

So I think there's room for the aficionado between the casual and the academic. Going back to one of your earlier posts: It's a hobby. Wasting time with small obsessions is the point.

Apparently a movie is only worth watching if it passes critics muster. Except where critics criticism are subjective, in which case a film is a hidden gem.

Are ya'll bored with this nonsense yet?

Or maybe don't gatekeep conversations you have no interest in?

I've greatly enjoyed this thread lately, and a large part of that has been reading baby doll's posts and trying to respond to them in kind.

If you find it boring, just wait. The topic shifts every coupla days. Meanwhile, you can post in one of the 6,686 other threads on Match Cut.

The discussions here are limited because there aren't many users. I don't understand trying to shut them down unless they're openly hostile or abusive.