Page 2728 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1728222826282678271827262727272827292730273827782828 ... LastLast
Results 68,176 to 68,200 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Why?
    Why not?
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Why watch movies?

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    Sometimes I feel like watching some lighter fare.
    I'm not sure I see the connection between occasionally (or frequently) wanting to watch something light and systematically watching every single Disney animated feature which, given their variable quality, strikes me as a form of masochism.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Gotta say I've never heard of that one; I looked it up and it's a mixture of animation and live action. In any case, I only considered the official canon movies as appears in this list.
    Which is why you can't trust everything you read on wiki. That list isn't fully correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...mated_features
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Why watch movies?
    In Soviet Russia, movies watch you.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    The sweat, the mud, the grime, the filth, the palpable feeling of watching something that's been shot in the most unforgiving of locations. This was great, and the 2014 blu-ray remaster absolutely revelatory.
    I need to watch this again. I love Wages of Fear, I love the plotless ambling nature of the first half. If you watch it for the first time and don't know the whole story the kick into high gear in the second half is amazing.

- - - - -
    I'm not sure I see the connection between occasionally (or frequently) wanting to watch something light and systematically watching every single Disney animated feature which, given their variable quality, strikes me as a form of masochism.
    Disney is sui generis, practically its own genre. I can understand why somebody might want to dive into it.

I don't think it's wildly different from watching a lotta westerns or every Humphrey Bogart movie you can find.

I have several genre marathons setup for my wife and I. They include things like; the entire Bond collection, every alien invasion film, every zombie film, 80s action movies (which might be the next MC game in the near future), Tim Burton's filmography, Every Clint Eastwood Western.

I love sticking with themes.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Disney is sui generis, practically its own genre. I can understand why somebody might want to dive into it.

I don't think it's wildly different from watching a lotta westerns or every Humphrey Bogart movie you can find.
    I could understand wanting to see all the films made while Walt was still with the company (including the shorts and The Song of the South), but to go beyond that sounds like a terrific waste of time.
    Just because...

The (New) World

- - - - -
    I could understand wanting to see all the films made while Walt was still with the company (including the shorts and The Song of the South), but to go beyond that sounds like a terrific waste of time.
    I've watched Hopalong Cassidy movies on YouTube and once sat through "Knock on Any Door." I'm not in a position to claim anybody has wasted their time.

Yeh that's an odd statement to make, especially on MC. Waste of time for whom? A person of your film stature? What's the point of posting that comment?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Yeh that's an odd statement to make, especially on MC. Waste of time for whom? A person of your film stature? What's the point of posting that comment?
    Judging by Stanley's ratings, it seems that he didn't get much enjoyment from watching most of the Disney features after Fantasia. In general, completism for the sake of completism strikes me as a waste of time. Life is short and there are lots of movies, so why bother watching something if you have no reasonable expectation of pleasure?
    Just because...

The (New) World

- - - - -
    The real question is .... does StanleyK have good taste?

*runs away cackling*

Judging by Stanley's ratings, it seems that he didn't get much enjoyment from watching most of the Disney features after Fantasia. In general, completism for the sake of completism strikes me as a waste of time. Life is short and there are lots of movies, so why bother watching something if you have no reasonable expectation of pleasure?
    I didn't get the impression that he had a foregone conclusion when he started watching them all. But sure, I suppose if you have that attitude BEFORE you go into something, it's probably a waste of time. That would be like Trans watching the new marvel Phase 4 movies immediately after release.

I didn't get the impression that he had a foregone conclusion when he started watching them all. But sure, I suppose if you have that attitude BEFORE you go into something, it's probably a waste of time. That would be like Trans watching the new marvel Phase 4 movies immediately after release.
    He didn't need to finish all of them.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Nah, but seems like he wanted to.

I've been working through the Disney animated canon over the last couple of years myself. There's three reasons, I guess: I enjoy most of them, I want to have the historical experience of following the ins and outs of their production because I find the studio and its cultural significance super interesting, and I've been trying to re-watch movies I know I saw as a kid but can't credibly give a rating to anymore.

It's been fun! I went for an inside-out approach, watching the oldest and then the newest and meeting in the middle, which I think will land me on Aladdin as my last one.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

The historical reference is a good point though. Song of the South is perfect example. Just watched it recently- even had the tar baby scene it. Despite all of the racist stereotypes and slave impressions, it's still quite terrible.

Yeah I didn't love most of the movies but, save for the 70s and 80s, they were overall passable entertainment. They were a few surprises too- I thought Hercules and Wreck-It Ralph would be terrible, but I enjoyed them quite a bit.

I finished them all because a movie has to be insanely bad for me not to finish it. Off the top of my head I can only think of Sweet Movie, which I went back to and finished anyway, and Winterbottom's The Trip.

I watched them all and in chronological order because I'm a completionist, I do filmographies that way. Maybe it's a waste of time but I have a lot of time to kill so it's fine with me.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    inside-out

I have several genre marathons setup for my wife and I. They include things like; the entire Bond collection, every alien invasion film, every zombie film, 80s action movies (which might be the next MC game in the near future), Tim Burton's filmography, Every Clint Eastwood Western.

I love sticking with themes.
    I don't really do genre marathons because there's no objective criterion for choosing what to watch like in a director's or studio's filmography. For example, when you say every alien invasion and zombie film, I assume you mean most of the major ones; but how do you pick which to watch and which to leave out?

And there's another coincidence, I just started doing Tim Burton as well.

I don't really do genre marathons because there's no objective criterion for choosing what to watch like in a director's or studio's filmography. For example, when you say every alien invasion and zombie film, I assume you mean most of the major ones; but how do you pick which to watch and which to leave out?

And there's another coincidence, I just started doing Tim Burton as well.
    I just keep adding to them until I reach 100 and then I just start watching from oldest to newest, trying to pick out filmmakers borrowing from each other.

Alien Invasion Films: https://letterboxd.com/dukefrukem/li...ed-incomplete/

Apocalypse Movies: https://letterboxd.com/dukefrukem/li...ed-incomplete/

Zombie Films: https://letterboxd.com/dukefrukem/li...ed-incomplete/

Vampire Films: https://letterboxd.com/dukefrukem/li...ed-incomplete/

Why do anything? Why post on this site? Why watch movies? Why be a wannabe prentious asshole? Why bother, period?
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Fuck enjoying movies when you can bitch about them to strangers on the Internet. That's real goddamn cinema right there.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Before I get banned for being a drunken asshole who's just flat out tired, I actually think that Sleeping Beauty and Fantasia are both better than anything Pixar has ever produced.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I never woulda guessed that saying it's a waste of time to watch movies you don't like would turn out to be such a controversial statement.
    Just because...

The (New) World