Page 2723 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1723222326232673271327212722272327242725273327732823 ... LastLast
Results 68,051 to 68,075 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

- - - - -
    What potato head thinks there's demand for another "Poltergeist" re-do?

"Thomas Crowne" is fun but ... sheesh ... it's not so good that it cries out for a remake every 20-30 years.

Thank God they're not going after anything real. I saw "MGM" in the headline and my heart skipped a beat.

Maybe one of the L. Frank Baum Oz works that isn't the main one? Return to Oz managed cult status by being different and unexpected and scary and fun.

After checking, it seems Disney has the rights to pretty much all Baum/Oz stuff except......the ruby slippers, which are still intellectual property of MGM lol.

So.......anthropomorphic CGI ruby slippers it is! Like Brave Little Toaster but terrible.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Wasn't there a Poltergeist redo recently that failed miserably?

Watch them do Tarzan...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

If it hadn’t just been done, I would have suggested Robocop.

"Lol why would anyone go see a movie alone? That'd weird."

Sure, I'll just spend the time and energy corralling 7 people with different schedules and preferences--most of whom are not as punctual as I am and wait until the last possible minute to get tickets or even show up to the theater--and end up seeing shittier version of a movie I really wanna see (like, say, a non-IMAX, 3D version of Endgame) for my first viewing at a less convenient time. Blech. I love my friends, but this is why I go to shit alone.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    "Lol why would anyone go see a movie alone? That'd weird."
    Who said this?

Why would anyone go on a run alone? Or go hiking alone? or Masturbate?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Apparently it's a position held by many, but not me. Same with going to a restaurant alone or whatnot.

--Homer

I wouldn't go to a restaurant alone (not as a plan anyway, of course I'd eat anywhere if I'm on the streets already and I'm hungry) but I go to movies alone all the time and yeah, it's weird for many people. I couldn't care less. I do masturbate alone.

Masturbation without an audience is like eating eggs without salt.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Never understood the criticism of seeing movies alone either. There's no conversation in the theater anyway (or shouldn't be at least)...

I don't like restaurants alone though. I'll do it because work travel inevitably makes it happen, but I always feel rushed, it's rarely a good experience, and it's kind of boring.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Doing things alone is where it’s at.

People suck.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Doing things alone is where it’s at.

People suck.
    Fuck yes

Alfonso Cuarón:

Sólo con tu Pareja - 5.5
    A Little Princess - 8.5
    Great Expectations - 7
    Y tu Mamá También - 8.5
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - 5.5
    Children of Men - 10
    Gravity - 7
    Roma - 8.5

Definitely the most accomplished of the Three Amigos.

- - - - -
    It's weird because dining out and going to the movies are social activities built around an event.

This isn't the case with running, hiking, or masturbation (lol duke, wth).

A closer corollary would be going to a nightclub, a party, a museum, or a ballpark alone. Few do and while you could very easily, yes, it'd be strange.

Most of this depends, too, on the rest of your social life. If you're married or involved and spend most of your free time with another person, then going alone can be a refreshing change of pace.

But if you're not, then the dynamic changes, both between yourself and the event and the way other people might view your behavior.

People suck.
    To paraphrase a line of dialogue from something I saw recently: "People are all we have."

Going to a party alone, you're likely to interact with others that you know still...

A ballpark could be the same as the movies I suppose, in that you're there to watch a game, but I stayed at a game while two friends left early (terrible fans) and it was a terrible thing. I left my seat and watched from a standing area... And then got to witness a walkoff home run for the Rockies which was as awesome as anything you could see in sports.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    To paraphrase a line of dialogue from something I saw recently: "People are all we have."
    I’m sorry if this sounds like it comes from a 15 year old trying to be edgy and deep, but I find even the most rote of activities involving others to be a daily reminder of how much I hate other people.

People are cruel, selfish, violent creatures who deserve annihilation.

If “people are all we have”, I’ll take the void thank you very much.

TLDR - Thanos didn’t finish.

- - - - -
    I’m sorry if this sounds like it comes from a 15 year old trying to be edgy and deep, but I find even the most rote of activities involving others to be a daily reminder of how much I hate other people.

People are cruel, selfish, violent creatures who deserve annihilation.

If “people are all we have”, I’ll take the void thank you very much.
    Nah, I get you. I don't think saying it makes you some sort of edgelord or whatever. People do suck.

There was something about hearing that line --- there was a bigger context to the scene that I didn't explain --- but it was like, "Yeah, people suck but when you get right down to it, they'r'e all we have in this life."

Hearing that was something of an epiphany. I think both statements are true, they're not mutually exclusive, and there's an interesting space there for interpretation.

TLDR - Thanos didn’t finish.
    LOL, nice

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    Definitely the most accomplished of the Three Amigos.
    That's not saying a whole lot.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    That's not saying a whole lot.
    Yeah, Iñárritu and Del Toro are overrated IMO, but Cuarón is the one who deserves his plaudits.

- - - - -
    Signed up for The Criterion Channel and I've watched something new each night.

So far:

- Smithereens (Seidelman, 1982)
    - Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Almodovar, 1989)
    - Cleo from 5 to 7 (Vara, 1962)

I enjoyed them all but "Cleo" was next level. Like, oh shit, yeah, movies are a fucking art form and a joy to watch. This is the kinda work that puts a spring in my step and makes me think that world is a fine place, after all. (And Varda was like ~34 when she shot it. JFC.)

Anyway, this won't be news to most of you but I watch so much unmitigated, frustrating crap that sometimes I forget.

Yeah, Cleo from 5 to 7 and Pather Panchali are definitely next level.

- - - - -
    Thanks for the remider! Gotta put Pather on my list

Producer
    Ghost (1990)

Watching this for the first time after Get Out exists makes one late scene (which is still very touching) has some extra unintentional creepiness.

Anyway, I never gave much thought to how much a film might strongly resemble its decade, but for the first time I couldn't stop thinking just how freakin' 90s the film feels. From its aesthetics and mysticism to the pacing and performance styles, the latter in which only Demi Moore (great) and Whoopi Goldberg (even better) escape unscathed. Maybe the 90s-ness of it extends to the plotting too, because I see almost all its murder story beats coming way too early, far before anyone even dies.

Thankfully, the film ties up this "mystery" before the film is half over, leaving the rest to be largely about Moore-Goldberg-Swayze dynamic instead, which makes the third act very satisfying with its various story pay-offs and deft tone shifts. Also, "Molly, you in danger, girl" <<< "I signed the wrong name". 6.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Howards End: In Which Edwardian Class Tensions Are Resolved by Way of Swiftly Falling Bookcases.

--Homer

The book is great.
    Just because...

The (New) World