Page 2717 of 2718 FirstFirst ... 171722172617266727072715271627172718 LastLast
Results 67,901 to 67,925 of 67928

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Cross posting for anyone who might not visit the creative collective thread. But I just released a new short film, and would love it if you all would check it out, and maybe let me know what y'all think.

Cinematographer
    Koyaanisqatsi (1982) - Frequently mesmerizing, but only the last act is outright transporting for me. The slow nature beginning being invaded by the presence of men makes for a thrilling contrast, and nitty-gritty human routines in vast spaces are my personal slow cinema jam. Some of the transitions to footage that seems a bit like banal coverage do take me out though; at times the approach wabbles uneasily between the poetic and the mundane. Still, that third act. The Grid is as great a audio-visual experience as advertised, and ending on a reverse concept of 2001's bone-satellite/primitive-technology matchcut (breaking down instead of leveling up) is powerfully sublime. As one billboard here says, grand illusion indeed. Prefer Baraka by quite a bit though. 7.5/10

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932) - More than 80 years later, the film's harsh depiction of system's injustice still leaves a mark, with the social commentary being second to its tough, unsentimental pre-code drama. This is largely thanks to Paul Muni's powerful performance, whose increasingly rough exterior never eclipse his vulnerability underneath; almost hard to believe that he is the same man who portrays Scarface's titular gangster in the same year. And of course, one of the great haunting last scenes ever in filmdom. 8/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

As utterly ridiculous as the notion of "Jack Sparrow is Keith Richards so let's get Keith Richards" is, it's just flat disarming that the scene works as well as it does. Damn but it does have gravitas and a wonderfully subtle power. That's probably helped immensely by all the freakin texture and design work that goes into this scene. The set and costume design and lighting of it all is just wonderful and so inventive. At World's End is certainly the worst of the original three (Davy Jones and a leviathan and the roller-coaster silliness of the action scenes lift the second one just enough for me), but if more of the movie had this kind of commitment to its universe, I think it would have worked a lot better.

This moment earlier in the same scene also illustrates the point, I think:

Last edited by Wryan; 09-10-2018 at 01:10 AM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Replacing Luck Since 1984
    The four sequels are so bland and left no impression on me that I dont recall a single scene except there was a giant squid at some point.
    These two clips made me feel like I was watching it for the first time.

Just Watched
    A bunch of crap until Infinity War

Currently Playing | Played
    Windlands / The Division / Siege (Steam) ★★★★★
    Red Dead Redemption (PS3) ★★★★★

TV Show Currently Watching | Watched
    Star Trek: Discovery (S1) ★★★

Currently Reading | Read
    The Dark Tower (King) ...

Thoughts / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies

I really liked the second flick. I quit the series after the third one.

We have space for 1 more player in the new Fantasy Movie League season starting up later this week.

In the Fantasy Movie League, you will 'draft' movies to be released in the next 6 months based on how well you think they will perform at the box office. This means you'll need to be somewhat attentive to the thread for a week or so as the draft takes place. After that, you have no further commitment unless one of your films gets bumped to a different release date.

If you are interested in playing, check out the thread in 'The Kitchen Sink' and claim the spot. We'll begin in about 2 days regardless.
    A Star is Born (Cooper, 2018) ***
    A Simple Favor (Feig, 2018) **1/2
    Mandy (Cosmatos, 2018) **1/2
    The Three Musketeers (Niblo, 1921) **
    Chi-Raq (Lee, 2015) ***1/2
    The Headless Woman (Martel, 2008) ***
    Searching (Chaganty, 2018) **
    The Neon Demon (Refn, 2016) **
    BlacKkKlansman (Lee, 2018) ****
    Happy End (Haneke, 2017) ***1/2

I don't know if we should have a thread for actors that are surprisingly still alive and working but I just realized that Tatsuya Nakadai ("Lear" in Ran, Harakiri, Human Condition) is still alive and was in a movie last year.
    Last Excellent Movie Seen For the Very First Time:
    Lady Bird (2017, Greta Gerwig)
    My Movie Page

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    Cross posting for anyone who might not visit the creative collective thread. But I just released a new short film, and would love it if you all would check it out, and maybe let me know what y'all think.

No one?

I watched it when originally posted. Sorry bud, I didn't care for it. Probably just not for me though.

I liked it. I liked the girl. I thought the acting from the lead needs to be tightened up a bit. Maybe a few more takes would have done it. It takes a bit to get moving which also could be tightened up in the editing. And the hardest part (i think) is getting the right music that fits the tone- which I'm not too sure it does. Overall, not bad. The littlest things make all the difference. Shortening scenes e.g. we don't need to see the door close after someone walks through it. By cutting the scene down to a shot of the interior, but adding in the SFX of the door closing, would make it a much more brisk experience.

Just Watched

Currently Reading | Read

Thanks for the feedback, Duke. Gotta spread some rep around before it'll let me give you some more. The most consistent complaint I've received is in regards to the lead actor, but I dunno, he gave me precisely the performance I was looking for for this part, so I was personally 100% satisfied with what he gave me. But then, maybe I'm too close to the project to see his faults, 'cause that one's really leaving me scratching my head, lol. *shrug*

Also Skitch, thanks for watching it as well. Sorry you didn't like this one though.

I didnt have a problem with either of the actors. I felt it could've been shortened by a half tho. I hate critiquing these kind of things, as I've been intimately involved in similar projects and I swear they were no better. Keep going! Dont give a shit what anyone (especially me) says.
    Last edited by Skitch; 09-14-2018 at 06:19 AM.

Also, cheeky bottoms on the girl next time. It's 2018.

Just Watched

Currently Reading | Read

So if anyone's interested, I wrote a new blog looking into some of the background behind my latest short film Sianostra, and also discussing my return to filmmaking: http://cwiddop.blogspot.com/2018/09/...ilmmaking.html

the maker of my own evil Ivan Drago's Avatar
    While the theater can provide experiences from the cathartic and challenging to escapist and life-affirming, the two hours I spent watching Sálo last night were the first to make me feel like I was a prisoner in the 1966 hall. It's one of the most horrifying, disgusting, and torturous films I've ever sat through thanks to the imagery of the graphic stories told, and the harrowing immorality committed on-screen. . .and yet I can't not admire it for the artistry employed to comment on the state of Italy's government during WWII. The minimal use of music on top of the surrealist execution of its production and costume design highlight the prisoners' living nightmare and the grandiose stature of the fascist torturers. It's also worth noting that Pasolini portrays the fascist's psychology in such a way to propose they're as hateful and evil as they are because no one else in the world shares their depraved obsessions. More often than not, I wanted the film to be over more than once, but by the time it finally was, I felt the mix of being called to action to stop atrocities like this from happening, the helplessness of being unable to do so, and horror over the guards' reaction following the grievous climax. I have my doubts I'll ever see Sálo again, but despite refusing to see it for so long, now I'm glad I saw it, and I know I'll never forget it.

Also, Ennio Morricone's theme for this hasn't left my head since last night and my dark sense of humor wants it to be the song I dance to at my wedding.
    Last Five Films I've Seen

Life Itself (Fogelman, 2018) 2.5
    Widows (McQueen, 2018) 9.5
    Venom (Fleischer, 2018) 2.5
    First Man (Chazelle, 2018) 9
    Let The Corpses Tan (Cattet/Forzani, 2018) 8
    Assassination Nation (Levinson, 2018) 9

Fox Force Five News

I watched the first 40 minutes or so of Salo. Did zero emotional for me. Dont feel bad about quitting.

the maker of my own evil Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I watched the first 40 minutes or so of Salo. Did zero emotional for me. Dont feel bad about quitting.
    As you shouldn't. Nobody's kidding when they say it's a movie where your mileage may vary.
    Last Five Films I've Seen

Life Itself (Fogelman, 2018) 2.5
    Widows (McQueen, 2018) 9.5
    Venom (Fleischer, 2018) 2.5
    First Man (Chazelle, 2018) 9
    Let The Corpses Tan (Cattet/Forzani, 2018) 8
    Assassination Nation (Levinson, 2018) 9

Fox Force Five News

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    As you shouldn't. Nobody's kidding when they say it's a movie where your mileage may vary.
    Man that's truth. In dispensing criticism I rarely go to the "why does this even exist" play, but this...Gummo...maybe Happiness...

Seven years ago, I watched Claire Denis' Friday Night; I found it awful and almost unwatchably boring. Today I watched it again and I felt it's pretty good. Go figure.

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    Seven years ago, I watched Claire Denis' Friday Night; I found it awful and almost unwatchably boring. Today I watched it again and I felt it's pretty good. Go figure.
    That's been happening a lot with me lately. (Rewatches that end up better than I remember them. )

Just Watched

Currently Reading | Read

I love it when my opinion changes to positive on a film.

Finally saw Interstellar.

Liked it a lot.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Finally saw Interstellar.

Liked it a lot.
    Decent flick, but also just fucking beautiful. Easily my favorite-looking Nolan film.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    That's been happening a lot with me lately. (Rewatches that end up better than I remember them. )
    That's cool. With me it's usually the other way around, unfortunately: rewatching something I loved and not liking it as much this time (which actually happened with another Denis film, Trouble Every Day).

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    Today I watched it again and I felt it's pretty good. Go figure.
    I was hoping for a repeat of that today when I rewatched Mike Leigh's Naked. Alas, I still find it fucking terrible, which is a shame since I liked High Hopes and loved Life is Sweet.