Page 2702 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1702220226022652269227002701270227032704271227522802 ... LastLast
Results 67,526 to 67,550 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

I had a bit of a major geekout moment yesterday when I found out that the song 'We fight for love', which was written for the movie Commando was written and sung by Michael des Barres. He was Murdoc, MacGyver's nemesis in the 80's show.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I saw this popup on Google Movies, and then I looked up the reviews.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dark_crimes

When was the last time a movie got a 0%?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I saw this popup on Google Movies, and then I looked up the reviews.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dark_crimes

When was the last time a movie got a 0%?
    Emoji Movie.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Ashura - 2005

An absurdly operatic martial arts fantasy from Japan where the outsized emotions and opulent set design match fairly well to its original status as a Kabuki stage play. The movie doesn't work entirely, as it drags toward the end, re-litigating emotional beats with no real additional revelation or fascination, but I found its imagination and straight-faced silliness endearing. Highlights include an opening action scene that plays like a Japanese fairy tale version of the opening from Blade (instead of red, the demon blood is glowstick green), a climactic fight in an M.C. Escher labyrinth, and the sincere acting from Rie Miyazawa as doomed lover (and demon queen to be) Tsubaki. The CGI effects are objectively bad (they look like holdovers from Anderson's Mortal Kombat) but support creative sights, and imaginative low-budget effects > boilerplate high-budget effects.

Really does go on too long, though.

That looks lovely.

Whoa....

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Did a trip to London and Edinburgh, then a trip to Asheville, NC for three days, and now in Indian Shores, FL, until tomorrow, when we'll revisit our bed and veg out. In that time, we've done airplane viewings of Pitch Perfect 3, Jumanji 2, and Date Night. The only one that rises above serviceable is Date Night, which has a magnetic Rachel McAdams role that testifies to her need to do more comedic performances.

In other news, BBC America's Killing Eve, despite an only okay final 10 minutes, is so much better than everything mentioned above. Holding out hope for First Reformed by the end of the month...
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

I just realized this about myself: If someone dislikes a film that I like, I really don't care all that much and shrug it off. However, I'm prepared to argue to the death if someone loves a film that I hate. It's weird when you think about it.

Fun, though.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I just realized this about myself: If someone dislikes a film that I like, I really don't care all that much and shrug it off. However, I'm prepared to argue to the death if someone loves a film that I hate. It's weird when you think about it.

Fun, though.
    Makes sense. Why spread joy when you could spread resentment?

Did a 7-day subscription of Shudder so that we could finally get to the 1970's Black Christmas. Beyond being loaded with a good cast, the film is able to orchestrate tension and intrigue even though several of the kills had already been seen in clips previously. Love that ending, even though it stretches credulity that Kidder isn't taken to the hospital. It's a surprising endpoint that resists serialization.

Also did Wake in Fright, which Russ had taken up a few years ago. Fascinating study in masculinity and the excess of alcohol to remove safeguards, and depressing footage of the kangaroos. Probably done after this, but enjoyable to see so many near-genre films on display as well.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Yeah, Black Christmas is really good, and still available on Netflix DVD which is what I use. They have a great selection still. I don't understand all the love for Streaming. It's a great technology but greed means that you need to spend lots and lots of money (to subscribe to all the different services) in order to get anything approaching the selection of Netflix DVD.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)

Fun, though.
    Fortunately, I think I'm the exact opposite of this.

Watched the Ghostbusters remake to see what all the brouhaha was about. It's just sort of middling mostly. A lot of the material doesn't work. I thought Leslie Jones and Hemsworth were the only ones bringing the right verve to it. Also, the effects work had some real zing to it, a certain creativity in design and execution, so much so that it made clearer how much the rest doesn't work. It's deserving of a better vehicle, odd as it is to say. Overall, a harmless bit of flopsweat really.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Black Christmas is great, creepy and well made.

I really enjoyed and liked the Ghostbusters remake. It suffers from some similar problems that the original had. Mainly too much FX in the last act. I prefer the animated late 80s series the best.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I remember Jennifer of the Jungle got me into Black Christmas. Excellent film.

And as for Ghostbusters. It was the worst film of 2016 for me. And I saw that TMNT sequel.

Watched Baywatch, which was, naturally, just incredibly, ridiculously stupid, but also pretty funny in stretches.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Watched Baywatch, which was, naturally, just incredibly, ridiculously stupid, but also pretty funny in stretches.
    I never saw that one.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

A friend of mine is asking me about a movie she remembers seeing that is about the creation of Hollywood, the patent conflict with Edison, United Artists... She doesn't remember much about it, only that at some point some hired goons destroy the movie sets they were building.

I'm haunted by this now. I think she might remember some scenes from Chaplin as a separate movie.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 06-23-2018 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    A friend of mine is asking me about a movie she remembers seeing that is about the creation of Hollywood, the patent conflict with Edison, United Artists... She doesn't remember much about it, only that at some point some hired goons destroy the movie sets they were building.

I'm haunted by this now. I think she might remember some scenes from Chaplin as a separate movie.
    Might she be thinking of Peter Bogdanovich's Nickelodeon?
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Might she be thinking of Peter Bogdanovich's Nickelodeon?
    That was it! You're the best!

Watched The Lobster. I'm interesting in seeing Lanthimos's other films to see if they have a little more oopmf than this, although there are some great sequences and some fine acting. With one of the big themes, as I see it, being about how we lie to ourselves and others to get into relationships we don't want to avoid being lonely/alone or feelings of persecution, I thought the casting of gay-in-real-life Ben Whishaw was a nice little extratextual touch re: closeting generally. Fuck, that dog though. Jesus. Really lovely photography as well.

EDIT: I really wanna see Dogtooth, but it's been difficult to track down. Not sure I really wanna buy it outright just for a viewing.

--Homer

Would anyone be interested in a fun movie draft game? We draft one character from each of the categories below to form your Villain Team, then I'll make brackets where all of MC votes on which Evil Team wins in versus battle? Seeds would be automatically assigned as will draft order. We would need at least 6 participants.

Round 1: Marvel Villain
    Round 2: DC Villain
    Round 3: Space Villain
    Round 4: Action Villain
    Round 5: Fantasy Villain
    Round 6: Horror Villain
    Round 7: OTHER (pick a villain or antagonist from a movie that doesn't fall into the previous categories)
    Round 8: Wild Card Pick - can be anything

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Would anyone be interested in a fun movie draft game? We draft one character from each of the categories below to form your Villain Team, then I'll make brackets where all of MC votes on which Evil Team wins in versus battle? Seeds would be automatically assigned as will draft order. We would need at least 6 participants.

Round 1: Marvel Villain
    Round 2: DC Villain
    Round 3: Space Villain
    Round 4: Action Villain
    Round 5: Fantasy Villain
    Round 6: Horror Villain
    Round 7: OTHER (pick a villain or antagonist from a movie that doesn't fall into the previous categories)
    Round 8: Wild Card Pick - can be anything
    Yes. Sounds cool.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

I'll play.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Ok, I'll start a separate thread with rules and such.

Should the draft order reflect the seeding? Or should they be completely separate?