Page 2650 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1650215025502600264026482649265026512652266027002750 ... LastLast
Results 66,226 to 66,250 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

- - - - -
    Fellow cinephiles, you can soon cancel the only reason you had a Hulu account. While they’ve had The Criterion Collection’s streaming library for some time, starting this fall, that will no longer be the case. Turner announced today that they are launching FilmStruck, a collaborative streaming service between Turner Classic Movies and Criterion Collection, as well as films from Janus Films, Flicker Alley, Icarus, Kino, Milestone, Zeitgeist, Warners Bros. and more.
    https://thefilmstage.com/news/the-cr...ms-filmstruck/

The service, which will be available starting this fall for a monthly fee to be determined, will be the exclusive streaming home for the Criterion Collection library, which includes such classic titles as "Seven Samurai," "A Hard Day's Night," "A Room With a View," "My Life as a Dog," "Mad Max" and "The Player."

FilmStruck will be curated by the programmers at Turner Classic Movies, the film cable network that has developed a highly devoted audience thanks to its commercial-free presentations of often restored legendary Hollywood movies. Criterion will collaborate with TCM to create its own dedicated channel on FilmStruck.
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...426-story.html

Holy shit.
    Last edited by Irish; 04-26-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Bye Hulu!
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

That's not the reason I have a Hulu account. But still, that's pretty nifty.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I've been trying to remember what I get from Hulu for other than the Criterion collection. I'll probably miss Adventure Time the most, but I think I can live without Brooklyn Nine-Nine and everything else.

According to Criterion's blog, the Criterion channel will be a premium service, whereas FilmStruck will have a "rotating selection of Criterion films." Hopefully the premium channel won't be too much more expensive.

I like the pairing of Criterion and Turner Classic Movies. TCM is probably what I miss the most about cable. I hope they'll have a similar selection.
    Last edited by Mysterious Dude; 04-26-2016 at 09:22 PM.

Comcast in talks to buy DreamWorks Animation for more than $3 billion.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    TCM is probably what I miss the most about cable. I hope they'll have a similar selection.
    This is the part that confuses me. The service will be curated by TCM, but what does that mean? It half sounds like they'll stream movies off TCM, but TCM already has deals with services like SlingTV.

Since this is coming from Warners, what happens to Warners Archive? Will those movies be available too?

Neither the press release nor the related articles were all that specific.

The most tempting part of the Criterion part of Filmstruck would be access to the special features available on Criterion discs. Given that access, it'd be tricky to be confident that I'd continue buying the occasional DVD, but it'd be a form of access that I'd welcome. At that point, it'd merely be a question of whether Criterion titles are released simultaneously onto that service and physical platforms.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

- - - - -
    Academic piece on the nature of superheroes, with specific criticisms about The Dark Knight Rises. Well worth a read.

http://thenewinquiry.com/essays/super-position/

Anyone know a torrent site I can download The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey from? Does anyone have it? Can't find it anywhere.

You can send the answer to me by PM if you want. Please don't bash me for asking - it's a 1988 New Zealand film that's barely available on DVD. It's not like I'm making the Weinsteins lose money or anything.

Grouchy, you have exceeded your stored private messages quota.

Vincent Ward spammed his PM system to prevent piracy of his baby. It's the only thing that makes sense.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Heheh try now!

Still not working. Oh well. Get it while it's hot.

Code:
    http://www.ulozto.net/xR4VstK1/the-navigator-a-medieval-odyssey-1988-avi
    Last edited by Mysterious Dude; 05-05-2016 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks!

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    anyone know about this 100 years movie bullshit.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    anyone know about this 100 years movie bullshit.
    The John Malkovich thing? It's a commercial for cognac that takes just as long to make correctly.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

[+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Li'l Quinquin (Bruno Dumont, 2014) ****/**** Had never seen a Dumont film before, but had read enough about his work to feel like I knew what was in store for me. I was wrong -- I wasn't expecting this.

Dumont's Li'i Quinquin was originally made for French television, as a 4 episode miniseries, about a series of gruesome murders that have taken place in a sleepy, coastal farming community in northwest France. It establishes its own non-pc take on a town full of quirky characters -- it riffs on Twin Peaks, Fargo, and compares favorably to the same year's True Detective, all while weaving a layer of social consciousness that seems to tie directly into the nefarious goings-on. I wasn't expecting the comedic touches, of which there are many, and none so grand as the extended funeral for the first victim that closes episode one, featuring an overly-enthusiastic church organist and a youthful giggling priest. Quinquin (Alane Delhaye) and his pals like to throw firecrackers at unsuspecting passers-by, and are seemingly normal kids coming of age. They can also be racist, homophobic troublemakers and spend much of the runtime vacillating between tough and tender. Institutionalized racism, endemic throughout Europe, may also be a factor in the murders, so it's not difficult to see that the youths haven't fallen far from that tree. Trying to tie all this together, but not making much headway, are Commandant Van der Weyden (Bernard Pruvost) and his gap-toothed assistant, Lieutenant Carpentier (Phillipe Jore), who likes to drive the police car like it was a stunt car. Pruvost is the real revelation here -- his Van der Weyden is plagued by a vast collection of facial tics and overall weird mannerisms. He's like Inspector Clouseau and his adversary, Dreyfus, combined in one neat package -- but with an iconic presence, like a Tati or Chaplin. Pruvost's work here is tremendous, and certainly award-worthy.

Just the fact that it's a comedy, tho a distinctly Dumont "comedy", should be enough to throw anyone off.

I like this quote from a review I found:

...starts off like it might be France’s answer to Twin Peaks, then begins to feel like Robert Bresson was asked to make True Detective with the cast of Freaks.
    Kino-Lorber has put out a blu-ray that combines the episodes into a 206 minute runtime -- a shame they didn't offer the episodic narrative as an alternative option (I believe this is on Netflix streaming also, but I don't know if it's shown as one long movie or not). Still, I highly recommend this to any fan of quirky police procedurals, with the added bonus of having a European art-film sensibility.

Here's the NSFW trailer:

Last edited by Russ; 05-09-2016 at 04:49 PM.

Eric Byler's 2002 film Charlotte Sometimes. Early film using digital, so some of the framing is less than stellar, but the script, the thought process behind characters, and the performances are all fascinating. Awesome study of Asian America while refusing to explicitly make itself solely about race--Byler instead uses subtlety and insular lines to denote transformation, and the film uses sexuality to explore fissures inherent to identity.

Highly recommended for anyone interested in character studies, it continues to rise in my esteem weeks after viewing it.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Could the MOD create a forum for releases in 2115 please (Yearly Film Database)? Thanks!

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Bought Thunderdome today. The saga is complete.

Also, this flick is better and worse than I remember. The tone is more twee, especially with that sometimes-smothering score, but the flick also seems to be drawing a direct comparison between the two small societies Max finds (both more or less headed by a woman!) and suggesting the two need to fuse in some fundamental way. Bartertown is full of "knowing" but a shitty society built on foundations of lies and mutual hatred, while Neverland sustains through love but psychologically arrests its brood.

I rewatched The Great Dictator. Was I asleep when Schultz and the barber escaped from the concentration camp, or did the movie gloss over that part? Also, would a Jewish barber be likely to quote from the seventeenth chapter of Luke?

I wonder how real this is:

Steven Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall on How to Win in Hollywood Today
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fea...y-frank-902545

INTERVIEWER: So when you look at young directors, how do you know you're not hiring another Josh Trank [who directed the Fox bomb Fantastic Four]?

SPIELBERG Who is that?

Not that surprising a response. Josh Trank is hardly a name director.

Ouch.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64