Page 2645 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1645214525452595263526432644264526462647265526952745 ... LastLast
Results 66,101 to 66,125 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

The Visit is bad. So, so bad. The end rap is cringe-inducing.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    The end rap is cringe-inducing.
    I thought it was kind of the point, and totally in character. I mean, he's not supposed to be some amazing rapper like Vanilla Ice.

He's a little nerdy white kid who ends all of his rhymes with "HOE!" and who flexes his scrawny muscles on camera for the ladies. His character is a kid who likes to flaunt his confidence, even though it's more of an act than anything. And the actor totally sold it, with one of the best performances I've seen in years. The scene where he's "totally going to open the door!" shows this. He keeps saying that he's going to, totally hoping that his sister will give him an out and tell him not to.

The whole rap thing is just his way of trying to act tough, and it's just a silly thing that a kid his age would do.

Finally watched the Insidious movies, and yeah, good campy horror fun to be had, and I maintain that I'd love to see James Wan tackle a full blown comedy at some point. Now that would be interesting to see! However, while I personally felt the first 2 were pretty great (even better than The Conjuring, IMO), I probably coulda done without the 3rd one. It's decent, but feels mostly pointless, and I woulda far preferred had the series continued forward following after the 2nd movie's cliffhanger, rather than going back and giving us a pointless prequel like this. But, eh, ah well, maybe the 4th one will move the story forward?

Also finally watched the first three Paranormal Activity movies. I actually thought the simplicity of the first one really helped make it quite a novel and effective little film, and the 2nd was a nice followup as well. The 3rd one is when they really started making the series more Hollywood, and includes the first instance of us asking "why are they still filming this?", yet that said, it's probably the best one in the series, and definitely has the best genuine scares. Setting it in the past was also a nice touch, and it was interesting to learn the truth of what happened to those two girls as kids (and also answered some of the questions I had about the 6th movie as a result). I also really kinda loved seeing how the full story all connects together, and it leaves me sorta wanting to revisit movies 4-6 again. We'll see on that, though. :P

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I thought it was kind of the point, and totally in character. I mean, he's not supposed to be some amazing rapper like Vanilla Ice.

He's a little nerdy white kid who ends all of his rhymes with "HOE!" and who flexes his scrawny muscles on camera for the ladies. His character is a kid who likes to flaunt his confidence, even though it's more of an act than anything. And the actor totally sold it, with one of the best performances I've seen in years. The scene where he's "totally going to open the door!" shows this. He keeps saying that he's going to, totally hoping that his sister will give him an out and tell him not to.

The whole rap thing is just his way of trying to act tough, and it's just a silly thing that a kid his age would do.
    Agreed that the whole thing is a silly pose, and it also helps that the kid seems to really enjoy the hobby. It's juvenile but not cynical. That was what tipped the scales for me.

Like you said earlier, we should have hated that kid, and in most other movies we would have. However, the actor totally sold it. Not to mention the film's quirky style. The lighting and staging during the family board game night was expertly done. Reminded me of old Peter Jackson.

I went to see the Oscar nominated short animation films last night. It was really fun to see World of Tomorrow on a big screen. It made me appreciate the visuals even more. While I think it is the class of the field, I am predicting that the win will go to Bear Story, which is more of a tug on the heartstrings. It also has some nifty style shifts that will likely be attractive to voters. The other nominees were fairly weak, in my opinion.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Some guy I follow on Letterboxd has watched Mad Max: Fury Road 28 times (or is it 26? I counted but have forgotten) since it came out.

How much is too much? I would say the movie I have watched the most in my life is probably Star Wars, and I would guess it would only be in low double figures.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Smoke is a really good, maybe even great 90's indie movie with a wonderful cast and some nice snappy dialogue. William Hurt and Harvey Keitel should had made more films together.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Some guy I follow on Letterboxd has watched Mad Max: Fury Road 28 times (or is it 26? I counted but have forgotten) since it came out.

How much is too much? I would say the movie I have watched the most in my life is probably Star Wars, and I would guess it would only be in low double figures.
    4 times is too much.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Very entertainingly hilarious.

https://twitter.com/femscriptintros

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Didn't think I'd ever have rage-inflicted bitterness, but Antonioni's Zabriskie Point was a chore. The characters are so shallow and so dependent on era-specific empathy that they never turn out to be anything but ciphers for a mediocre plot. Antonioni has two great sequences, the absurd sex romp in the desert and the finale with the house's explosion, but everything surrounding that is just so childish and one-note. The characters never amounted to anything, plane stalking somehow becomes affection, and the wildness of the lead's real life travails with the law never find a fictional resonance.

Interesting in Antonioni's documenting of the various advertisements around LA, but utterly insipid beyond the two sequences mentioned above.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Yeah, that's a dated film if I ever saw one.

I don't know how appropriate it is to call Zabriskie Point dated when it was widely rejected at the time of its release. And while I'd agreed that the characters are flat and uninteresting, and the dialogue embarrassing, I wouldn't dismiss it completely, if only for Antonioni's 'Scope compositions.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.

I have an addictive personality when it comes to art/media. Probably watched Fury Road between 7 and 10 times since it came out. Let's not talk about how many times I've listened to NIN's The Fragile or watched MST3K's "Space Mutiny" episode.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I have an addictive personality when it comes to art/media. Probably watched Fury Road between 7 and 10 times since it came out. Let's not talk about how many times I've listened to NIN's The Fragile or watched MST3K's "Space Mutiny" episode.

Well music is a bit different no? I've listened to The Fragile about 12 times. After getting bad vibes regarding Zabriskie Point from reviews/comments I was expecting a crappy film but I was pleasantly surprised when I watched it some time ago. I loved it for being unique - I don't recall any other film like it. I greatly appreciate films that try to do something different.

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    I don't know how appropriate it is to call Zabriskie Point dated when it was widely rejected at the time of its release. And while I'd agreed that the characters are flat and uninteresting, and the dialogue embarrassing, I wouldn't dismiss it completely, if only for Antonioni's 'Scope compositions.
    I honestly dislike Antonioni's films, and believe me I've tried. I sort of enjoyed some moments of Blow Up but that's it.

Every time I hear "Fury Road", I want to see it again.

I've seen Armageddon over 100 times.

When it first appeared on pay per view, we had a standing rule at the house I was living at: if someone was home, and awake, Armageddon had to be playing on at least one television.

I've seen seasons 1-7 of The Office and seasons 1-5 of Parks and Rec over 50 times each. It's my white noise I fall asleep to every night.

Ah, finally a banner I can recognize!

Spinal, made a minor edit to my german film list.

Finished the Best Picture nominee gauntlet last night. Here's how I'd rank them:

1. Bridge of Spies
    2. The Revenant
    3. Mad Max: Fury Road
    4. Brooklyn
    5. Spotlight
    6. The Martian
    7. The Big Short
    8. Room

2-4 could probably be shuffled around in any order.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Finished the Best Picture nominee gauntlet last night. Here's how I'd rank them:

1. Bridge of Spies
    2. The Revenant
    3. Mad Max: Fury Road
    4. Brooklyn
    5. Spotlight
    6. The Martian
    7. The Big Short
    8. Room

2-4 could probably be shuffled around in any order.
    I couldn't disagree more.

1. Spotlight
    2. Mad Max: Fury Road
    3. The Reverent
    4. The Big Short
    5. Room
    6. Brooklyn
    7. The Martian
    8. Bridge of Spies
    Last edited by Dukefrukem; 02-25-2016 at 06:12 PM. Reason: spelling

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
    2. The Big Short
    3. Brooklyn
    4. Spotlight
    5. Room
    6. The Martian
    7. The Revenant
    8. Bridge of Spies
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

1. Brooklyn
    2. Mad Max: FR
    3. Spotlight
    4. The Big Short
    5. Room
    6. The Martian

H/S: Revenent or Bridge of Spies
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Ones I've seen

2. Bridge of Spies
    3. The Big Short
    4. The Revenant

Ones I haven't seen

1. Room
    2. Spotlight
    3. Brooklyn
    4. The Martian
    Last edited by Winston*; 02-25-2016 at 09:01 PM.

2. Brooklyn
    3. The Martian
    4. The Big Short
    5. Bridge of Spies
    6. Spotlight
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8