Page 2587 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1587208724872537257725852586258725882589259726372687 ... LastLast
Results 64,651 to 64,675 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Since it's disappearing from Netflix on the 5th, I finally got around to Shane Meadows's Dead Man's Shoes. Fairly typical narratively, but there's so many little idiosyncratic details and expansions that the film goes far beyond its gangster revenge label. Wonderful stuff. Love how deceptive the opening is once it's all considered together...
    Yep, it's sensational. I wish Meadows would get back to making films and away from the This is England TV series.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Question for MC:

What are you guys doing with your DVD/Blu-ray/CD cases? Do you have them stored in a sleeve? Or a booklet and throw away the cases? I need ideas and options.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I keep my DVDs in their cases. It presents a storage problem I will have to deal with it eventually.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I keep my DVDs in their cases. It presents a storage problem I will have to deal with it eventually.
    Probably the most annoying thing to move for me. I know furniture and beds are heavy, but these few boxes seem tedious each time. Don't know why. That's also why I got rid of all my books a while ago.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I have too many books CDs and movies. I might have to get rid of a lot of them if I ever move out of state.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

It's been awhile. We need another Armond pile-up.

Oh Armond.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)

Oh Armond.
    I figured he was fired.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

To be fair, Steve McQueen is the son of former Village Voice critic Georgia Brown, so there's a whole history there.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Living in China, I have to keep all my DVDs hidden in my ass-hole so that the gooks don't get their hands on them.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)

Oh Armond.
    His site must be losing traffic. Nothing works to get them clicks like being a dick in public.

I was reading White's profile on Wikipedia and came across this gem, which probably explains why he's such a troll.

White has been an outspoken opponent of online film criticism, which he associates with "amateurism, gossip [and] cliques" rather than the "education, expertise [and] experience" he attributes to professional film criticism. He has also stated his opinion that "there should be no film critics younger than 30" since they would lack the necessary scholarship and life experience.

Having recently bought George Washington on Criterion, I enjoyed White's essay on the film. It was well written, very articulated, and summed up why the film is great better than I probably ever could. However in a world where everyone can be a critic thanks to the Internet being an actual professional and not a troll doesn't get you anywhere apparently. Roger Ebert was lucky that he started out early and to built up his reputation before the Internet, except that doesn't count really if you think about it...
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

There are many successful professional film critics that aren't trolls.

All I have to say is, it takes balls of steel or a complete ignorance of reality to heckle Robert De Niro. Not only you look like a fool, but he sounds to me like a man who'd rather kick your teeth in than take even the least amount of shit from you.

Quote Quoting Izzy Black (view post)
    There are many successful professional film critics that aren't trolls.
    I know. That post was supposed to be condemning White instead of even remotely defending him.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    I was reading White's profile on Wikipedia and came across this gem, which probably explains why he's such a troll.
    I'm a film critic under 30 and even I agree that there should be no film critics under 30.

Hey, everybody! Want to feel miserable? Well, The Road has you covered.

Hey, everybody! Want to feel miserable? Well, The Road has you covered.
    I just watched this a few weeks ago myself. I had the same reaction. Do you consider this the message of the movie? I try and rate films on how the movie want's to be perceived versus what I actually feel during the viewing. If both match, then I consider that a successful project. My question is, why I would want to feel this way during a movie? What's the point? Is there a message lost?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I just watched this a few weeks ago myself. I had the same reaction. Do you consider this the message of the movie? I try and rate films on how the movie want's to be perceived versus what I actually feel during the viewing. If both match, then I consider that a successful project. My question is, why I would want to feel this way during a movie? What's the point? Is there a message lost?
    Maybe that there is hope in an otherwise hopeless world? It's a tough call. The movie mirrored the book pretty damn well, with the exception of the Mother's added scenes. She had maybe a page's worth of time at the beginning of the book, and that was it.

The scene where the Dad made the Thief strip off his clothes was absolutely heartwrenching, even more-so than it was in the book. I can only attribute it to Williamson's performance. I felt horrible ... horrible ... for that man.

The movie doesn't have the intense feeling as the book. It does nail everything else, but the visceral feel in that book is something I've only come across a few other times ever.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Maybe that there is hope in an otherwise hopeless world? It's a tough call. The movie mirrored the book pretty damn well, with the exception of the Mother's added scenes. She had maybe a page's worth of time at the beginning of the book, and that was it.

The scene where the Dad made the Thief strip off his clothes was absolutely heartwrenching, even more-so than it was in the book. I can only attribute it to Williamson's performance. I felt horrible ... horrible ... for that man.
    I think the worst thing for me while watching this movie was how many times the father put a gun to this son's head. And they never spoke about it ...

It is so fucking frustrating when someone at work asks for a movie recommendation. You give them one. And they come back and say they stopped watching it after 30 minutes because it was so bad. Are we seriously fucking that impatient? Why even bother watching anything if you're going to half ass your hobby?

What was recommended? Did they have specific requests?

A "2013 Sci-fi Film". I provided: The Colony

http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...ghlight=Colony

If you suggested I watch it and then compared it to Equilibrium, I would not have watched it. Did not like Equilibrium. Jus' sayin'.