Page 2578 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1578207824782528256825762577257825792580258826282678 ... LastLast
Results 64,426 to 64,450 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    As a background distraction, and with a more palatable soundtrack, you'd be surprised at how well most experimental films play to plebs.
    Exactly and thanks for the rec.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

What about Begotten?

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Someone rec me some avant garde visually expressive creepy/horror films I can throw on in the background of my haunted house party. Outer Space is a must... what else?
    Check out the films of Craig Baldwin (more sci-fi pop culture than horror, tho).

also,

Suzan Pitt's Joy Street (animated short). Begotten, but only as background with musical backing. Maybe Adam Wingard's Pop Skull. Another worthwhile short is Perverse Conclave, if you can find it.

Mati Kutt's Taevalaul (aka Sky Song) has some offbeat, creepy imagery, and is also recommended.

Finally, don't forget Teinosuke Kinugasa's silent classic, A Page of Madness.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Santa Sangre
    Dellamorte Dellamore

Thanks for the recs. I was thinking about A Page of Madness and maybe the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. I'll probably also throw on Kwaidan and Toby Dammit.

Oh and The Brothers Quay now that I think about it.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Sounds like a cool party lol

Quote Quoting Izzy Black (view post)
    Sounds like a cool party lol
    Make a trip to Montreal and you can attend.

Party music:

Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

If only I could afford it :sad:

Great track btw

Great track btw
    I'll throw up my full Halloween mix after the party, have to keep the guests guessing for now though. ^_^
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

If only I could afford it :sad:
    Story of my life haha.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I'll throw up my full Halloween mix after the party, have to keep the guests guessing for now though. ^_^
    sweet

On another note, a recent rewatch of Memento demonstrates that it holds up. I forgot how many funny lines Teddy (Pantoliano) has.

Teddy: You know, I've had more rewarding friendships than this one. Although I do get to keep telling the same jokes.

Leonard Shelby: These tracks are just a few days old.
    Teddy: What are you, Pocahontas?

Teddy: Nice shot, Liebowitz.

Teddy: You're not a killer.
    [pinches Leonard's cheeks]
    Teddy: That's why you're so good at it.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Fist Of The North Star – Its no secret that I enjoy a bad movie, but its even better when a movie goes straight past bad, skips terrible, and goes to war-crime. In the sub-genre of ‘so bad its great’ cinema, I have found one of its leaders.

Fist Of The North Star is based on a Japanese manga. It stars an Australian Ben Stiller doppleganger with a mullet, playing a Japanese guy. The Aussie gets mad when Costas Mandylor (star of such films as Saw 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7) (who’s also playing a Japanese guy) steals his girlfriend (who is in fact Japanese) and pokes holes in torso, leaving scars that look like someone taped condoms to his chest. He wanders the futuristic wasteland, silently killing anyone who messes with him. Sometimes this includes poking dudes a whole bunch and walking away as their heads explode.

He stumbles across Rufio from Hook and his blind kid sister, heals the kid’s eyes with some hand waving (because that’s what kung fu is), and continues on his way.

Melvin Van Peeples and Downtown Julie Brown look on as Chris “The Better” Penn does his impression of that mutant guy from The Goonies while keeping his head leather-strapped together to prevent it exploding from a previous encounter with Ben Stiller Mullet guy.

During the final confrontation, I noticed that Aussie-Japanese Stiller’s futuristic post-apocalypse leather pants had developed a hole in the crotch. It probably happened when he faced down the Punch Super Slow And Fall Down Gang in the lobby during the previous scene. There was a lot of dudes in that gang.

I must insist that all of you that have enjoyed a bad movie watch this as soon as possible. I was completely riveted.

Movie rating 3/10
    Enjoyment rating 8.5/10

It wasn't my choice and I didn't pay for it.

R.I.P.D. was phoned-in by pretty much everybody involved. None of the actors appeared to put much effort into their characters. Ryan Reynolds plays a plank of wood. Jeff Bridges recycles his Rooster Cogburn character. Mary-Louise Parker seems completely miscast and out-of-place. The production design is dull, cinematography is dull, all the CG effects look like CG effects, the story is all over the place and sometimes struggles to maintain coherency. It's a mess. 3/10

On another note, a recent rewatch of Memento demonstrates that it holds up. I forgot how many funny lines Teddy (Pantoliano) has.

Teddy: You know, I've had more rewarding friendships than this one. Although I do get to keep telling the same jokes.

Leonard Shelby: These tracks are just a few days old.
    Teddy: What are you, Pocahontas?

Teddy: Nice shot, Liebowitz.

Teddy: You're not a killer.
    [pinches Leonard's cheeks]
    Teddy: That's why you're so good at it.
    Heh yeah. I also liked the part where the hotel manager admits that he checked Leonard into two different rooms.

After I finish burning through horror movies sometime in November on my regular DVD Netflix queue I do have 47 additional films after wards. I do aim to view them all and I'll probably review them in here since I've already abandoned my movie viewing thread.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Not a fan of the term, but found this consideration of mumblegore kinda fascinating to think about. Looking forward to You're Next's dvd release, though I'm unclear how the studio botched it so that a dvd wouldn't be available during Halloween
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Not a fan of the term, but found this consideration of mumblegore kinda fascinating to think about. Looking forward to You're Next's dvd release, though I'm unclear how the studio botched it so that a dvd wouldn't be available during Halloween
    No mention of Entrance, a better "mumblegore" film than You're Next.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    They are right to ignore Entrance.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    You should, ya know, visit the horror thread more often.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    I remember reading a review of the latest DVD release of Nosferatu, which stated that a Blu-ray upgrade would likely be inconsequential, given the age and quality of the available prints. Um, no; it looks amazing in HD, and I can't wait to own this set, unless the upcoming R1 Kino release is even more of an improvement.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Karina Longworth has a great analysis and reflection on the Demme production of Beloved here, assessing how it prefigures and thus allows 12 Years a Slave a narrative for how to avoid some of the same criticisms. I remember back when it was first released and how many thinkpieces were written on what it's failure meant. This article serves as a good reminder on the limitations of what a "race film" in America can do as it relates to marketing...
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    It's an interesting piece, but as someone who finds Demme's film impeccable, the idea that Oprah needed effing Lee Daniels to direct it for it to be good hurts my brain too much.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

After rewatching Dassin's Night and the City and Welles' Touch of Evil I have a hard time categorizing the latter disappointing film as film noir (at least the version I saw which is supposed to be some sort of Director's cut). The movie bends over backwards to portray everyone as good - the only sordid character is Welles' Quinlan. The drugging scene which I remembered as being very dark is a fake - as is mentioned multiple times (was it like this in the originally released film?). Mr. Grande even goes so far as to tell his nephews "don't do drugs". The film gives us scenes that at first glance are dark but then pulls back and says "just kidding". I feel gipped.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    It's an interesting piece, but as someone who finds Demme's film impeccable, the idea that Oprah needed effing Lee Daniels to direct it for it to be good hurts my brain too much.
    F'sho.