Page 2577 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1577207724772527256725752576257725782579258726272677 ... LastLast
Results 64,401 to 64,425 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

I'm glad you mentioned that. I pretty much just use Netflix for rewatching great movies, because the ones left on Netflix, at least what's posted on my initial screens are pretty horrible. That's all movies. Not just horror.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    I think I'll love this one then D'Angelo gave it a 78 - I wouldn't consider his tastes "shit" - I always check out films he rates highly and I'm usually not disappointed.
    Some of his reviews are amusing, but he's never struck me as a particularly insightful reviewer. Even when I disagree with David Bordwell or Jonathan Rosenbaum (I'm less interested in commercial Asian cinema than the former and I like Lars von Trier more than the latter), they invariably come up with something interesting to say about the subject at hand; D'Angelo can only point to thinks that he likes ("that truly insane harem fantasy") or dislikes ("Clown musicians at the end kind of ruin it for me"), which serve only to reveal the limitations of his thinking. Just check out Rosenbaum's reviews of Nights of Cabiria and The Voice of the Moon or Bordwell on the post-war art cinema generally (including a take-down of Rosenbaum's Bergman obit), which individually are of much greater interest than D'Angelo's combined output over the last two decades.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Some of his reviews are amusing, but he's never struck me as a particularly insightful reviewer. Even when I disagree with David Bordwell or Jonathan Rosenbaum (I'm less interested in commercial Asian cinema than the former and I like Lars von Trier more than the latter), they invariably come up with something interesting to say about the subject at hand; D'Angelo can only point to thinks that he likes ("that truly insane harem fantasy") or dislikes ("Clown musicians at the end kind of ruin it for me"), which serve only to reveal the limitations of his thinking. Just check out Rosenbaum's reviews of Nights of Cabiria and The Voice of the Moon or Bordwell on the post-war art cinema generally (including a take-down of Rosenbaum's Bergman obit), which individually are of much greater interest than D'Angelo's combined output over the last two decades.
    I agree 100%. I've been saying this about D'Angelo for years, but people treat me like I'm crazy.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Remind me not to post my reactions to Escape From Tomorrow if I do like it, then.

My expectations are lowered, though...
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I've found some good horror movies on Instant Viewing that were not on Duke's list. Although I was viewing all of them for the first time this Horrorfest, and his list is pretty good (I've seen 12 off it).
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

- - - - -
    Figured some here might be interested in this:

Film Icon: A Journal of Greek Film Studies
    Peer reviewed, open access.

http://filmiconjournal.com

The 2011 film Hysteria, which situates itself as the film about the invention of the vibrator, is actually up to more transgressive cultural history than just masturbation jokes. It contains a legitimate complaint against a British patriarchy that places any feminine complaint under the umbrella of hysteria and therefore able to be contained and placed aside. Nonetheless, those critiques are underdone by an all too frequently average script that highlights the comedic punchlines more than it consistently underscores the seriousness of an institution that preyed upon women's submissiveness. There's a truly radical film about this subject out there for someone, but this one never quite gets there--it's content to make light-hearted jabs too often and never go for the jugular.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Hmm, so I just watched Escape From Tomorrow and thought it kinda sucked, though I wouldn't think less of anyone who does like it. On the other hand, I thought Computer Chess was pretty great, and Memento is one of my favorite movies, so I guess wigwam's Venn diagram of shitheads doesn't apply to me.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    ...so I guess wigwam's Venn diagram of shitheads doesn't apply to me.
    A lot of things wigwam says don't really apply in general.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    The 2011 film Hysteria, which situates itself as the film about the invention of the vibrator, is actually up to more transgressive cultural history than just masturbation jokes. It contains a legitimate complaint against a British patriarchy that places any feminine complaint under the umbrella of hysteria and therefore able to be contained and placed aside. Nonetheless, those critiques are underdone by an all too frequently average script that highlights the comedic punchlines more than it consistently underscores the seriousness of an institution that preyed upon women's submissiveness. There's a truly radical film about this subject out there for someone, but this one never quite gets there--it's content to make light-hearted jabs too often and never go for the jugular.
    I created a thread for this in the 2012 database back when it came out and then I never watched it.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Saw this American indie film from 2009 called Ink... It's really bad. It's gaining some status as an underground film because it never got distribution and so it found a following in peer-to-peer sharing. But the movie, despite its unusual ideas and special effects (it's more or less a battle of good vs. evil in an invisible dimension, combined with a father/daughter drama) is dumb. When you have five good guys and all of their lines are more or less interchangeable, you know you have problems.

Computer chess is in Chessmaster 2000?

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Saw this American indie film from 2009 called Ink... It's really bad. It's gaining some status as an underground film because it never got distribution and so it found a following in peer-to-peer sharing. But the movie, despite its unusual ideas and special effects (it's more or less a battle of good vs. evil in an invisible dimension, combined with a father/daughter drama) is dumb. When you have five good guys and all of their lines are more or less interchangeable, you know you have problems.
    Yeah, I almost watched this a few months ago but decided against it after skimming through the file.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I must have a subconscious drive to find the Worst Movie Ever Made.

Dana Carvey's The Master of Disguise is on Netflix Instant, and I remember initially being interested ... that is until everybody said it was a disaster. And hell, they were not kidding. From the get-go it's completely misguided with no clear idea of whether it's trying to appeal to kids or adults. Or possibly the stupidest, most childish adults alive. Whatever. I watched the whole thing with my mouth hanging open, constantly astonished at every rock-bottom-bad decision. Near the end, I started feeling embarrassed for all those involved, especially Brent Spiner, by the way, whose character "hilariously" farts in almost every scene he's in. After the fifth or sixth time recycling Spiner's fart gag, which wasn't funny the first time, I found myself hoping that the cast/crew at least were paid well for their humiliation. 1/10

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)

Dana Carvey's The Master of Disguise is on Netflix Instant, and I remember initially being interested ... that is until everybody said it was a disaster. And hell, they were not kidding. From the get-go it's completely misguided with no clear idea of whether it's trying to appeal to kids or adults. Or possibly the stupidest, most childish adults alive. Whatever. I watched the whole thing with my mouth hanging open, constantly astonished at every rock-bottom-bad decision. Near the end, I started feeling embarrassed for all those involved, especially Brent Spiner, by the way, whose character "hilariously" farts in almost every scene he's in. After the fifth or sixth time recycling Spiner's fart gag, which wasn't funny the first time, I found myself hoping that the cast/crew at least were paid well for their humiliation. 1/10
    Yeah that's definitely up there with the worst films I've ever seen.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I think that was filmed in Colorado. That's all I got. I think I saw it at a film festival (seems like even earlier then 2009) and only remember it being akin to student shorts. A shame that all Colorado filmmaking in the last 13 years has been pretty horrible.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)

Your dedication is admirable.

But -- :lol:

Never saw Master of Disguise but the trailer they ran on TV used to crack me & my brother up. Every time I think about Carvey in those ridiculous outfits & going "Turtle .. Turtle" I start laughing.

Sooo goddamn misguided.

I really liked Rodriguez' El Mariachi but Desperado was pretty bad.

Anyway, Hook is pretty wonderful.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    So, how about Mr. Magoo, worse than eating poo amirite?
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

I just watched The Adventures of Pluto Nash and gotta says guys, it wasn't good! (IMO)

Someone rec me some avant garde visually expressive creepy/horror films I can throw on in the background of my haunted house party. Outer Space is a must... what else?
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Someone rec me some avant garde visually expressive creepy/horror films I can throw on in the background of my haunted house party. Outer Space is a must... what else?
    Get any of the Experiments in Terror DVDs; Outer Space is included on the first volume. Went down well at my H'ween party last year.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I cannot imagine anyone I know playing or enjoying some Tscherkassky, let alone at a party. Do I really know only unhip mofos?
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I cannot imagine anyone I know playing or enjoying some Tscherkassky, let alone at a party. Do I really know only unhip mofos?
    As a background distraction, and with a more palatable soundtrack, you'd be surprised at how well most experimental films play to plebs.