Page 2573 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1573207324732523256325712572257325742575258326232673 ... LastLast
Results 64,301 to 64,325 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Seeing what's playing around me after Telluride, and there's a ton of movies.

Ain't Them Bodies Saints, The Grandmaster, The World's End is still playing. Nice.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Found the film adaptation of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie to be quite good. It jumbles up the novella's chronology and offers up more direct psychological motivation, which isn't always desired, but it also refines the way that men regard Maggie Smith's title character. And the film is more explicit with teenage sexuality than I expected from its '69 time period--its treatment of young bodies and young minds is utterly of its era (rather than the '30s). It'd be really interesting to think about in an adaptation class, and otherwise is a fine vehicle for Smith's fluttering personality.
    It's really good. So many of her novels would make great movies. She's such a cinematic writer, and most of her stuff is quite short, and completely filmable.

Picked up a couple of her novellas a couple of weeks ago.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Been watching a bunch of Korean films lately, some good and some bad. Tonight I watched New World (2013).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2625030/

It's very bad.
    I like Crying Fist - a flick that doesn't get talked about a lot. Great acting.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I like Crying Fist - a flick that doesn't get talked about a lot. Great acting.
    Will only watch if the fists literally cry tears.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    I have not. I'll check it out. Thanks!
    Another good one is Jang Kun-Jae's Eighteen. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1519322/

Last repost of this:

New mix up! I've played this set at two parties so far and both times it's gone over quite well. This one is classic rock/indie rock and disco primarily. Enjoy.

http://www.mixcloud.com/DJQrazy/move-yourself/
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Okay so I have this new friend, he's been a friend for about a year now. He's a young filmmaker and is really into horror and bad B-Movies. He was raised on MST3K and has seen almost every episode and watches a lot of bad movies. He had me and a bunch of friends over about 6 months ago to watch his favorite movie of all time "Mirrormask." I thought it was okay but nothing special. But the movie he is trying to push on me right now is "Tremors." He says very sternly that it's one of his 3 favorite movies of all time and it's really well done. He's very enthusiastic about this. I've been trying to get it across to him that besides Pacific Rim and the one old school Godzilla movie I've seen I don't like Monster movies, I've not liked a single B-Movie besides the under 10 total MST3K movies I've seen, and I generally do not like Horror. But even with all that he is un-phased saying it is genuinely a great movie and I need to watch it with him. Now this is why I come to you guys, knowing all of the stuff I've said there, will I still when watching it with him, though I don't like B-Movies or Horror, will I perhaps enjoy Tremors? Or do I, as I suspect, need to already like those genres in order to like a movie like Tremors? Is it actually good or just horror movie good?

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    Okay so I have this new friend, he's been a friend for about a year now. He's a young filmmaker and is really into horror and bad B-Movies. He was raised on MST3K and has seen almost every episode and watches a lot of bad movies. He had me and a bunch of friends over about 6 months ago to watch his favorite movie of all time "Mirrormask." I thought it was okay but nothing special. But the movie he is trying to push on me right now is "Tremors." He says very sternly that it's one of his 3 favorite movies of all time and it's really well done. He's very enthusiastic about this. I've been trying to get it across to him that besides Pacific Rim and the one old school Godzilla movie I've seen I don't like Monster movies, I've not liked a single B-Movie besides the under 10 total MST3K movies I've seen, and I generally do not like Horror. But even with all that he is un-phased saying it is genuinely a great movie and I need to watch it with him. Now this is why I come to you guys, knowing all of the stuff I've said there, will I still when watching it with him, though I don't like B-Movies or Horror, will I perhaps enjoy Tremors? Or do I, as I suspect, need to already like those genres in order to like a movie like Tremors? Is it actually good or just horror movie good?
    It's a pretty goofy movie but it's a lot of fun. There are a lot of comedic elements so if you enjoy B-movie comedy then you may have fun with it. It's the kind of thing you can throw on, have a couple of beers and not pay all that much attention to it. I'm not big on horror or B-movies either but I found it to be an enjoyable diversion.

I also agree with your opinion re: Mirrormask. There's some cool imagery but the narrative doesn't hold up really.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    It is not really a horror film. More of a buddy comedy with maybe one or two scenes intended to be tense, but even then they play more goofy (intentionally so) than anything. It is a great B-movie, nothing dazzling but done with a lot of enjoyment and the right amount of silliness.

I think enjoying a good genre film would help a lot, but it has quite a bit of charm removed from its creatures and typical genre play. It is certainly a safer bet than something like MirrorMask.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Elia Kazan's Pinky is the type of film that becomes both more interesting and limp because of the studio impositions concerning the African American female lead. Cast with white woman playing a black woman who masqueraded as white, it does some good racial commentary about the roleplaying that occurs in minority women. And the very artificiality to Jeanne Crain's lead performance, all '40s melodrama style, further highlight the disconnect between her and her clothes-washing earthy grandmother, even if it is rather a bit of a void. The social critique might be a bit easy, suggesting how the old racist landowner can have a change of heart and how we're supposed to forgive her her transgressions, but the film does confront the threat of rape that women faced and the courtroom scene legitimately feels it could go either way.

It's the kind of film that would be fun to unpack even if other elements are just as repulsive (namely, casting a white woman in the lead) as what it's trying to critique.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Just watched Warrior (2011).

Should've watched this awhile ago.
    I just watched it now, definitely extremely effective at what it's trying to be. The three male leads are all fantastic.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    If you like Joe Dante at all, it carries some of that tone. Creepy on occasion, but fun and knowingly absurd.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Tremors and Tremors 2 are both in my collection because they're fun, awesomely crafted movies.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    I love the shit out of Tremors, and the sequel is surprisingly solid as well, as far as such things go.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

I actually slightly prefer Tremors 2 over the first Tremors. However I was pretty disappointed that the last two entries in the series were really awful.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Felt a sudden inclination to rewatch "Tangled." Important to note it's still awesome.

So I watched the 1939 version of Wuthering Heights directed by William Wyler with Laurence Olivier. I was expecting something that hadn't aged well but got the totally opposite. Olivier nails the role and the supporting cast was great as well. I think it's one of the best films depicting the sickness caused by love and the duality of human nature that I've ever seen. Only David Lynch has tackled similar subjects so well.

Saw the last Jodorovsky's film, The Dance of Reality, at the cinema last week - so far one of the best films I saw this year.

Quote Quoting Li Lili (view post)
    Saw the last Jodorovsky's film, The Dance of Reality, at the cinema last week - so far one of the best films I saw this year.
    That's encouraging. Nobody seems to be talking about it, at least in the circles I follow. I was disappointed it didn't show up at TIFF even though Jodorowsky's Dune did.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

This is pretty awesome, audition tapes a-plenty for numerous movies. Watch Ford read for Solo, selleck for indy, Paul for Jesse Pinkman, tom Hardy for star trek: Nemesis etc...

http://www.empireonline.com/features...ition-tapes/p1
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    That's encouraging. Nobody seems to be talking about it, at least in the circles I follow. I was disappointed it didn't show up at TIFF even though Jodorowsky's Dune did.
    Yeah, I'm surprised too. It came out last week, there were lots of people at the screening (and apparently at each screening!). The film went at Cannes though. It's a very personal film as it's based on the memories of his childhood in Chile and several people of his family were involved in the film (the father is played by his real son for instance). It's a very playful film, very rich, I loved it.
    Another film I'm surprised it didn't get much coverage despite its high quality : The Great Beauty (Paolo Sorrentino). I saw it a few months ago, and it's another of my favourite of the year.
    There are several interesting films from Cannes coming out now...

- - - - -

"The Dirk Diggler Story" (1987)

Paul Thomas Anderson's thirty-minute short that was the basis of "Boogie Nights."

Fresh cut of my cinematography/director/production reel (last repost):

Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Nice Q.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Here's a montage of the final shot in films.