Page 2420 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1420192023202370241024182419242024212422243024702520 ... LastLast
Results 60,476 to 60,500 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Mr. McGibblets (view post)
    He can't have a unique consistent voice because he isn't appropriately knowledgeable about film-making?
    I'm not sure plunking a camera down in one spot and never moving it qualifies as 'voice.'

All of his movies are consistent in that they share z-grade production values. Some of them are consistent in casting, tone and writing (Clerks, Chasing Amy, etc).

So I think some of the scripts have a specific voice, but the movies, by and large, do not.

Going back to the original idea, if you showed someone, without prior knowledge, out takes of Clerks and Red State, would they be able to tell it was made by the same guy? Is there enough of a connection there to make this kind of distinction?

The only way he's not an auteur is if you have a quality-threshold for the term.
    If there isn't, then anyone who posts regularly to their own YouTube channel is an 'auteur.'

Not to mention McG and Rattner and that kind of 'filmmaker.'

Quote Quoting Israfel the Black (view post)
    I'll make no effort to defend Kevin Smith's artisty. I'll leave that to someone else.
    It'll most likely be Kevin Smith. Just fyi.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    You don't have to put quotes around filmmaker. They are filmmakers.

If there isn't, then anyone who posts regularly to their own YouTube channel is an 'auteur.'

McG has no consistent voice or anything running through his movies. I've only seen two Ratner films, but X-Men is such a blatant work-for-hire with nothing personal in it, that I doubt he does either.

There are other equally reviled filmmakers, Michael Bay for example, who clearly do have voices and styles and themes that they keep coming back to.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    You don't have to put quotes around filmmaker. They are filmmakers.
    I can pound rusty, bent nails into two-by-fours all day long. This doesn't make me a carpenter.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I can pound rusty, bent nails into two-by-fours all day long. This doesn't make me a carpenter.
    This is hardly analogous. These guys do more than take pictures with a video camera. They work in conjunction with a huge crew, go over scenes with actors, work through ideas on set, review the dailies, work through a production schedule with the crew for shooting... you're being absurd.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    This is hardly analogous. These guys do more than take pictures with a video camera. They work in conjunction with a huge crew, go over scenes with actors, work through ideas on set, review the dailies, work through a production schedule with the crew for shooting... you're being absurd.
    And you're being too literal. It was a humorous analogy to make a point.

Being a project manager (which is exactly what you described) is not quite operating at the same level as a 'filmmaker' or 'auteur,' terms which seem to me to suggest status and meaning beyond job description.

Well they're directors. That's their job title. Whether or not they're "filmmakers" I guess depends on whether you ascribe an honorific status to the term 'film' as opposed to 'movie.' Which I take it that Irish does. I'm rather indifferent, personally.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    And you're being too literal. It was a humorous analogy to make a point.
    You gotta admit, with your posting history some level of doubt is only natural.

Being a project manager (which is exactly what you described) is not quite operating at the same level as a 'filmmaker' or 'auteur,' terms which seem to me to suggest status and meaning beyond job description.
    It's what a director does. Nowhere in what I said is there no room for either writing or selecting material that furthers the personal or distinctive traits of the films of the respective director or is there no room to create through working with the DP or editor visual styles and motifs or thematic structures to incorporate.

Some directors can do that, some (like Ratner or McG) do not. They merely manage the film they are currently on to the best they can.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

I think Irish wants to say 'filmmaker' has an honorific status like the term 'film' (if you think it does).

But semantic quibbling aside, This Means War is awful.

This Means War is awful.
    Why'd you even bother?
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Why'd you even bother?
    Because I'm a cinematic masochist. That and the leads were hot.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    You gotta admit, with your posting history some level of doubt is only natural.
    Whatever do you mean? I've been charming, funny, and lovable from day one!

*walks away whistling*

Hey, I can vouch for Irish if necessary.

*runs away screaming*

"We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

After being told for years to watch Primer, I did. Can somebody explain to me why this film is so highly regarded? Fucking voiceover.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    More Israfel is the best thing to happen to the boards in a while.
    Agreed!
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

But outside cinema studies classes, I don't think most would be able to pinpont and differentiate, on any meaningful level, the individual voice of She's Gotta Have It and Miracle at St Ana or Alien and Kingdom of Heaven.
    I do not understand the desire that crops up in many discussions of auteur theory for a director to have the same style over the course of their entire career.

For instance the early, middle and late periods of Picasso are all extremely different. I do not think he would have been a better painter or a greater artist had he churned out cubist masterpieces his entire life.

I like artists who change their style with time.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    I do not understand the desire that crops up in many discussions of auteur theory for a director to have the same style over the course of their entire career.

For instance the early, middle and late periods of Picasso are all extremely different. I do not think he would have been a better painter or a greater artist had he churned out cubist masterpieces his entire life.

I like artists who change their style with time.
    That's why I've tried to argue that Soderbergh is an auteur

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Perhaps the genius is in the details as I'm aware this is not a traditional comedy, but I'm hoping that Playtime and The Holidays of Mr. Hulot are a bit more engaging as I blind bought a special collector's DVD. I don't even mind Mr. Hulot as a sort of silent observer, but on the whole it didn't leave much of an impression. The soundtrack was very hummable though.
    I like it more than you but personally I do find Mon Oncle the most dated of his films. Traffic and Playtime are the best with Holiday not far behind. So definitely don't write him off.

That's why I've tried to argue that Soderbergh is an auteur
    I don't disagree he's an auteur I just don't think any of his films are great. :P

Quote Quoting B-side (view post)
    Agreed!
    =D

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    I don't disagree he's an auteur I just don't think any of his films are great. :P
    I know >_<

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    After being told for years to watch Primer, I did. Can somebody explain to me why this film is so highly regarded? Fucking voiceover.
    I'll try to assemble some thoughts later in the evening, should time permit. I keep trying to type out why it's awesome and thoughts keep interrupting each other.

Suffice to say, I love it. I think it's one of the best sci-fi films ever made.

It's all just an argument about semantics, isn't it? Some of you use the label "auteur" as an honorific, indicating a unique artisitc vision, while others just take it as meaning, literally, "author" and are trying to establish, in a collaborative artform, who best to label as the author. In the latter case, the best answer, IMO, is always the director.

Every director can be analyzed across their filmography for common factors, no matter how much you hate them.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    It's all just an argument about semantics, isn't it? Some of you use the label "auteur" as an honorific, indicating a unique artisitc vision, while others just take it as meaning, literally, "author" and are trying to establish, in a collaborative artform, who best to label as the author. In the latter case, the best answer, IMO, is always the director.

Every director can be analyzed across their filmography for common factors, no matter how much you hate them.
    Ish. Plenty of film directors are really just director for hire who are only directing the actors and that's it. This is much more clear if you look at directors who have done a lot of television work, with the majority of television directors it's almost impossible to find clear cut common features.